Thread: Playing C&C Generals Online With a D-Link DSL-604+

Thanks

Playing C&C Generals Online With a D-Link DSL-604+

Basically what the title says. I can't play any games on Command and Conquer: Generals Online, I just get disconnected just before the game begins. I know the ports, but I'm not entirely sure what to do, especially with the Source IP Address and Subnet mask. Also, do you only need to set the ports in Advanced Filtering and Firewall?

Thanks

Mike
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Registered+
    Thanks
    Ok, let me begin by saying that I have a Netgear router but all these routers are pretty similar anyway.

If you want the easy cure all problems in the future, you need to setup DMZ. This basically forwards all hack attacks etc to the IP you've specified (i.e your gaming machine). Obviously you will need to install a firewall on your gaming rig (zonealarm should suffice) to block all the bad stuff and that should solve the problem for any game in the future.

That was the slack way which might/ might not be possible on your D-Link

The proper way would be to use port forwarding which is what you mentioned and it's really not that hard, just not entirely obvious.

For example, I want to run a webserver on my PC. The webserver uses port 80 (as in the documentation for the program). My IP address and subnet mask are 192.168.0.3 and 255.255.255.0 respectively (you can find these by opening a DOS window and typing "ipconfig"). The source IP and the subnet mask will look something like those example values I mentioned above. Just plug the IP, subnet mask and ports into the "port forwarding" page or words to that effect.

Hope this helps!
    - Dom

Thanks
    Thanks for the help, but what IP addresses and subnet mask do I put for the source?
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Registered+
    Thanks
    Source IP: 192.168.0.x
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Try this:

Click Start
    Click Run
    Enter 'cmd' and click ok
    Type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter
    Up should come tons of info - Find the IP address and Subnet Mask.
    - Dom

Thanks
    The IP address and Subnet Mask from "ipconfig" are the ones I need for the destination i.e. me. What do I put for the source, since there are 2 sets of IP addresses and Subnet masks? Or do I put the same for both?

Registered+
    Thanks
    ? ok I've found some info on this at

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ink_dsl604.asp

Half way down is a section named "Port Forwarding, UPnP and Firewalling"

Perhaps this picture helps:

This should be the only page you have to fill in. The router should automatically adjust everything else so that those settings work. Good luck!
    - Dom

Registered+
    Thanks
    Incidentally, I have C&C Generals as well - I've just tried to play it online and the only thing that prevented me from playing was ZoneAlarm asking for permission - Have you considered the firewall on your computer? (if you have one!)
    - Dom

Thanks
    Thanks, you've been a great help (and very patient!). Hope to have it working soon...

Thanks
    The firewall on my PC asked me for permission, and I tried disabling it as well - still hd problems.

Thread Information