Thread: Is there a way to assign priority to an Internet connection, and monitor torrents?

Registered+
    Thanks

Is there a way to assign priority to an Internet connection, and monitor torrents?

Hello again,

I'm using Virgin broadband with a WGR614 v9 router.
    I'm the bill payer for my account and I'm wanting to find out if there is a way I can assign my P.C to have priority whenever it uses the internet (I have 3 flat mates all using and abusing our internet when it is running properly)?
    e.g. force my PC being the main user of the internet? My PC would have internet speed whatever it needs and the rest of the internet could be used by other devices.

Also is there a better way I can moniter what our connection is being used for? So I know whether my flat mates are moaning because our line is rubbish or because someone is sneakily downloading the internet in one go.

I'm currently using the default firmware and software on the router, everyone is connecting to the internet wirelessly.

Cheers

Jay
    Thanks

Re: Is there a way to assign priority to an Internet connection, and monitor torrents

Yes a propper QoS router will do this for you. Have a look into pfSense
    □ΞVΞ□

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Is there a way to assign priority to an Internet connection, and monitor torrents

So would i be looking to buy a different router and install a different software on it?
    Is that the kind of thing dd-wrt could do to?
    im an utter nub when it comes to networks and routers, but willing to put a bit of effort into it all.
    Learn it all

Thanks
    • Chan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4A88TD-M EVO
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X4 955 BlackEdition
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair XMS3, DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1GB GTX460
      • PSU:
      • 520W Corsair HX Series Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 1920x1080

If the WGR614 is anything like my older version, you can simply go into the router settings via any browser, find the correct tab and it should have a list of the ethernet ports (that each comp plugs into on the router) and next to each will be priority selection. Just select the port yours is in and set high priority and set rest to low. Can't say I noticed a big difference when i did it though...

Thread Information