• Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Re: BE Disconnects and BTs £120-odd call out fee

simple question:

Once it deconnects and reconnects. even if it does it several times.. do you leave the router ON to gain a larger error margin?

Or do you reset the router to increase the sync speed again?

Cos it needs leaving ON... mine can take 3 nights of irregular drop outs before being proper stable.. so a nasty thing to occur to me is to have a power cut on a day before a night of gaming.. cos I KNOW it'll drop out loads of times while syncing at a lower and more stable speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I have tried leaving it on many many times, it very rarely re-connects and has to be switched off to get any connection back at all.

The odd thing is I rang BT last night and talked to someone about the problem and options.....they thought it would be wise to book an appointment (which I have done but are erring on the side of cancelling for reasons stated in this thread predominantly) but they did a line test first, it came back clean but I haven't disconnected since....although I am seeing a lot of near-disconnects where games stop or become unresponsive and then suddenly spring into life and catch up again......I just don't want to shell out £120+ when I move in 4 weeks......but I still need a stable connection for those 4 weeks......damn typical that a small problem left unfixed turns into a big problem when you least need it!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I have tried leaving it on many many times, it very rarely re-connects and has to be switched off to get any connection back at all.

well.... /deep breath... .that might be the issue,

You see, ANY router that loses connection SHOULD re connect on it's own.. and if it WONT.. but it will after a reboot.. the router's gotta be at fault.

If I sync mine at 1pm say.. it'll connect at nearly 6 mb. and drop.. .and drop.. and drop.. and it'll take 2 nights to get proper stable.. around 3.5mb.

If I were to turn it off (cos it wouldn't sync) every time it dropped I'd always have a faster connection, but it would drop the connection over and over again.

Can you borrow an ADSL router from someone?

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information