Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NAS options: Synology / HP Proliant Microserver / Own Build?!

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 650W ATX 120mm fan
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL 24", AG Neveo F-419 19"

Re: NAS options: Synology / HP Proliant Microserver / Own Build?!

How well does freenas work with things like an itunes server, and media server to a PS3 etc?

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):

With the HP, can I create a 2-disk mirror RAID and also use 2 other disks in the unit in non-RAID mode, i.e. use them as separate volumes?
    And, I presume I dont have to have matched RAM or anything if I upgrade it -I can just ad a 4GB module to the existing 1GB module?
    Last edited by cocksy_boy; 18-06-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Banned
    Thanks

Scan has 2tb samsgung disks on for 50 quid each (if you buy two)

So if you were to build a roll your own linux box..

4tb of storage in raid + a spare.

YOU WILL NEED A SPARE!

Splash

Quote Originally Posted by cocksy_boy View Post
    How well does freenas work with things like an itunes server, and media server to a PS3 etc?
    The new version less so, but 7 supported FUPPES for streaming to your PS3. Not so sure about iTunes though.

Splash

With the HP, can I create a 2-disk mirror RAID and also use 2 other disks in the unit in non-RAID mode, i.e. use them as separate volumes?
    And, I presume I dont have to have matched RAM or anything if I upgrade it -I can just ad a 4GB module to the existing 1GB module?
    It's more dependent on the software you use tbh (assuming software RAID, which would seem to make sense).

As for RAM I replaced the included ECC 1Gb module with a 4Gb non ECC module. I suspect if you try to run ECC and non-ECC together you're in for problems.

Back to the streaming stuff you were talking about: it's starting to sound like you're looking for more than a NAS - I'd take a step back before you spend any money and list everything that *you* need this new unit to do, as well as the nice-to-haves. once you have this come back to us and we'll see if we can make any recommendations based on that.

Oh, and like Abaxas said: make you you hold a spare disk to replace a failing one. The last thing you want when you're running a degraded array is for you to be a bit skint that month and have to wait til 'payday before you can afford a replacement disk. As soon as the disk is identified as failing you need to be able to replace it and rebuild the array.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Splash View Post
    t.

Oh, and like Abaxas said: make you you hold a spare disk to replace a failing one. The last thing you want when you're running a degraded array is for you to be a bit skint that month and have to wait til 'payday before you can afford a replacement disk. As soon as the disk is identified as failing you need to be able to replace it and rebuild the array.
    100% agreed. Infact I have 2 spares, so if one dies I can RMA it and still have one to swap out.

Then when the disks fall out of warrenty I get a new set.

Initially I had 250 gig disks, then after 3 years I went for 800 gig WD green ones.

In 2 1/2 years time I'll buy another set.

The data on there is more valuable than the disks themselves. Even if you had one eye and decided it was best to not show the world, the effort you put into that is greater than the value of the disks.

Keep your data safe and available with RAID.

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):

thanks for the details guys.

I'm planning on using it to store all of my stuff / data over my home network so I can access it easily and simultaneously from my 2 PCs and my PS3 (and possibly my iphone).

Data I'm going to store is pictures, films, music, downloaded software, and various personal documents such as word docs, pdfs, excel spreadsheets, etc.

I plan to access the films, music, and photos from my PS3 as well as the other PCs, and will upload (and edit) new photos to / on the NAS. I also have an iphone, so will need to access the MP3s through itunes (ie it needs an itunes server) so i can load them onto my phone.

At the moment, I dont think I need access to the files via the internet, but it might be useful. I dont use torrents, but occasionally use usenet (curretly accessed with newsbin pro on my PC), so an nzb downloader might be useful too, but not essential. EDIT: Printer sharing would be really useful too - and also the scanner on my HP printer / scanner if possible too!

At the moment, I think I'm leaning towards the HP microserver with a mirror RAID of 2TB and another disk used for backup of the essential stuff, which is probably closer to about 500GB. Software will either be WHS2011 or FreeNAS - not decided which yet (so more memory needed for the unit, I think)!

If i get the synology, I'll probably buy a single 2TB drive and use the existing drives i have with SHR until i can afford more disks. If I go got the HP Server, I'll probably buy 2 x 2TB drives (and maybe a third as a backup as you recommend!) with it for storage and use my existing disks as the backups / in the PC. The synology SHR is flexible with the sizes of disks so has an advantage over using standard RAID in the microserver - but is hence more expensive!

What are your thoughts? Cheers!
    Last edited by cocksy_boy; 18-06-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

thanks for the details guys.

I'm planning on using it to store all of my stuff / data over my home network so I can access it easily and simultaneously from my 2 PCs and my PS3 (and possibly my iphone).

Data I'm going to store is pictures, films, music, downloaded software, and various personal documents such as word docs, pdfs, excel spreadsheets, etc.

I plan to access the films, music, and photos from my PS3 as well as the other PCs, and will upload (and edit) new photos to / on the NAS. I also have an iphone, so will need to access the MP3s through itunes (ie it needs an itunes server) so i can load them onto my phone.

At the moment, I dont think I need access to the files via the internet, but it might be useful. I dont use torrents, but occasionally use usenet (curretly accessed with newsbin pro on my PC), so an nzb downloader might be useful too, but not essential. EDIT: Printer sharing would be really useful too - and also the scanner on my HP printer / scanner if possible too!

At the moment, I think I'm leaning towards the HP microserver with a mirror RAID of 2TB and another disk used for backup of the essential stuff, which is probably closer to about 500GB. Software will either be WHS2011 or FreeNAS - not decided which yet (so more memory needed for the unit, I think)!

If i get the synology, I'll probably buy a single 2TB drive and use the existing drives i have with SHR until i can afford more disks. If I go got the HP Server, I'll probably buy 2 x 2TB drives (and maybe a third as a backup as you recommend!) with it for storage and use my existing disks as the backups / in the PC. The synology SHR is flexible with the sizes of disks so has an advantage over using standard RAID in the microserver - but is hence more expensive!

What are your thoughts? Cheers!
    Everything sounds good up to the itunes server bit.

Unless things have changed in the last 6 months, iTunes will not show cover art from a remote server.

Which makes it about as useful as pair of gloves to a snail.

Splash

FreeNAS 7 will do itunes server and printserver with no real issues. It'll also run from USB no worries, so you're sorted on that front too. Scanner sharing? Not sure about that I'm afraid, though if you plug your HP model into Google with FreeNAS as a search term you may well be able to set it up to scan to a directory on the NAS.

Accessing from the internet I'd be putting some serious thought into setting up a VPN for, opening websharing/smb access to the internet at large is pretty much a terrible idea.

As it is, it sounds like FreeNAS7 will do what you need. FreeNAS 8 has a different architecture, and as such all of the plugins you'd need don't seem to exist at the moment. Alternatively you could just roll your own NAS as suggested elsewhere in the thread - I'm pretty certain that most if not all of your requirements could easily be met with Ubuntu Server.

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):

Yeah, I'm only planning on using the web access if its part of something like the synology - I'm not planning on setting it up if its not already a feature!

OK, the problem is that FreeNAS 7 doesn't include the ZFS RAID system, which would be really useful as it will allow me to make use of the extra different sized drives I have. If I go for FreeNAS 8 - what plugins will i need that aren't currently available then?

What do you mean by "roll my own NAS"?!!

I've not looked at Ubuntu server yet - I presume its similar to FreeNAS?

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    Unless things have changed in the last 6 months, iTunes will not show cover art from a remote server.

Which makes it about as useful as pair of gloves to a snail.
    Didn't know that until you pointed it out to me. What a complete bunch of ar$e. Thats one of the main reasons I want to have all my music on a bloody server in the first place!!!!

Would it work if I were to map a drive onto my PC and tell itunes to load all music from that folder / drive?

Splash

Yeah, I'm only planning on using the web access if its part of something like the synology - I'm not planning on setting it up if its not already a feature!

OK, the problem is that FreeNAS 7 doesn't include the ZFS RAID system, which would be really useful as it will allow me to make use of the extra different sized drives I have. If I go for FreeNAS 8 - what plugins will i need that aren't currently available then?
    Last time I checked there weren't any plugins available at all. Something to bear in mind is that if you're going ZFS (and it really is rather impressive) you'll be needing a fair chunk of RAM - I'd recommend 4Gb minimum, ideally 8Gb.

What do you mean by "roll my own NAS"?!!

I've not looked at Ubuntu server yet - I presume its similar to FreeNAS?
    Essentially build your own. Ubuntu server is a linux based server OS with a lot of packages for it - that way you could customise the build to meet your requirements and if those requirements change some way down the line you can customise some more: not really something you can do so much with your pre-built NAS OSen.

Banned
    Thanks

Didn't know that until you pointed it out to me. What a complete bunch of ar$e. Thats one of the main reasons I want to have all my music on a bloody server in the first place!!!!

Would it work if I were to map a drive onto my PC and tell itunes to load all music from that folder / drive?
    Yes,

Well I have no idea on a PC. But on a mac you can tell itunes where the library is, but make sure the share is opened before you launch itunes *

* should be ok if you use a guest share.

Registered+
    Thanks

Been looking at the synology myself although the thought of 'rolling my own' is tempting.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by justdatruth View Post
    Been looking at the synology myself although the thought of 'rolling my own' is tempting.
    Roll your own!

Dont bother upgrading the ram if you are using a linux based system. It's headless so for all fileserving/itunes/dnla doodar it's more than enough.

I do all the things mentioned above on a linkstation with 128 ram and a 400 mhz arm. The microserver will be fine.

Also you will learn more.

Thanks
    • cocksy_boy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 X 4GB
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX500 240GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • inno 3D 8800GT 512Mb
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):

Ahh, I can't make my mind up!!

I love building my own pc's as you can make it exactly what you want - but the strengths of the synology just keep coming back!! And if something goes a bit wrong there is support from synology.

What a dilemma!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information