• Xclio/Aplus Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VX2239WM 22" LCD Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Broadband 10mbit

Weird wireless Issues

Living in a city there are a 101 wireless routers/Access points around me, now I would prefer to use 802.11g but I keep getting connection drops and have checked the channels (with one being the most cleanest). I decided to use 802.11b (just to see what happened) and what do you know, I've now got a stable connection! I don't really like using it as it is really slow, though when I change back 802.11g I get tons of dropped connections.

What could be the problem, also what software is good on windows to monitor wireless connections?

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media
    Have a look into 5ghz wifi it costs more to start but the spectrum does not have as many users
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks
    • Blackmage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gb Hynix DDR3 1333
      • Storage:
      • Crucial m4 120Gb, 2TB Samsung F4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD5830
      • PSU:
      • 700w Coolermaster Gold Plus
      • Case:
      • Xclio/Aplus Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Re: Weird wireless Issues

Quote Originally Posted by alsenior View Post
    Have a look into 5ghz wifi it costs more to start but the spectrum does not have as many users
    I found a very interesting article.

http://www.data-alliance.net/-strse-...2.11b/Page.bok

If you are trying to reach a distant or weak network signal for internet access:

802.11b will provide better range/distance than 802.11g, and

802.11b provides plenty of bandwidth for internet access at broadband-speed

For longer-distance links, your wireless card/USB adapter will automatically select a lower-bandwidth data-rate: Therefore will automatically select 802.11b mode

Many people assume that 802.11g mode is better than 802.11b for their situation. However:

If range matters more than bandwidth requirements, run your card/adapter in 802.11b mode: 802.11b has better range and penetration. Its throughput will degrade less with the same distance and obstacles. This scenario is applicable for internet access for web-surfing and email access: If you are using the connection just for web-surfing and email access, your bandwidth bottleneck is the Internet connection - not the "B" bandwidth. If you are using the connection for local-area networking that requires a lot of bandwidth (file-sharing, streaming media on the local network), then you should use 802.11g mode or 802.11n mode.

An 802.11g access point will support clients operating in either 802.11b or 802.11g mode. Similarly, a laptop with an 802.11g card is able to access 802.11b access points as well as 802.11g access points. 802.11b and g clients (cards) automatically select the best data rate, based on available signal strength. For longer-distance links, a lower data-rate will be selected. Therefore, for longer distance links or links that have some obstruction (no clear line of sight), there is no added benefit in having an 802.11g client as compared to an 802.11b client. The selected data rate will be either 1, 2, 5.5 or 11 Mbps: The rate selected is influenced by signal-strength factors such as the distance between the access point and client-radio, and the degree of openness of the line-of-sight, versus obstruction of the line-of-sight by any type of object. For the longest-distance links, the lowest data rate will be selected, and for the short-distance links with no obstructions, the highest data rate will be selected.

Many major WiFi implementations, such as municipality-wide and in apartment complexes, use 802.11b in network implementations: The reasons are:

1. G requires use of three different channels simultaneously, and the network implementation may have a constraint to not lock up three channels

2. B is fast enough and lower-cost (with actual throughput of 1 to 6 Mbps exceeding the Internet connection speed).

3. Any B client on an 802.11g network will force the access point to operate in B mode, so that the bandwidth advantages of G are nullified.

802.11b equipment can transmit data-frames at rates up to 11 Mbps, and the network protocol overhead reduces the actual/net data-transmission rate to 5-6 Mbps.

A laptop's battery-charge will last longer with 802.11b, because it consumes less power than either 802.11g or 802.11a.

Thanks
    • Blackmage's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI P67-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 2600k
      • Memory:
      • 8 Gb Hynix DDR3 1333
      • Storage:
      • Crucial m4 120Gb, 2TB Samsung F4
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI HD5830
      • PSU:
      • 700w Coolermaster Gold Plus
      • Case:
      • Xclio/Aplus Windtunnel
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:

Sorry double post

Thanks
    • Captcha_me's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock N7AD-SLI
      • CPU:
      • Q9650 (12M Cache, 3.00 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR2 stock vaules
      • Storage:
      • Hitachi hdt72101 Ttb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 260 gtx
      • PSU:
      • 700w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake case
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ulitmate
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG LED 23"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 30mb

For the software I would try inSSIDer, to view the connections around you and see what channel they are on. Based on the result of the scan, move your wifi network to a channel with less signals competing for the bandwidth. In a ideal world you be able to have a channel that has two free channels either side of it for best results but you will be hard push in a bust town/city for that. In the past I've had internet speed cut down by about half due to channel crowding.

Thread Information