• Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Cancellation of TT Service

Any former TalkTalk BB and landline customers here?

I ask because I have to cancel a policy for my old man and want to know what is the simplest way of doing it. Apparently he phoned on Friday, went through their switchboard to cancellation department who then proceeded to fob him off with 'our systems are down, you can ask any general questions but nothing related to the account'...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Cancellation of TT Service

My suggestion would be, for the avoidance of future arguments over this type of thing, to always either do it in writing, or if done by phone, follow-up in writing. And then, keep a copy of the letter, and always send it by recorded delivery.

And if you do it by phone, mention in the call that you'll confirm in writing.

Then, if there's any future dispute over if or when you cancelled, you can refer them to the letter, the date of it and the recorded delivery receipt (which, obviously, you keep with the letter).

Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe it's the cynic in me just believing that if companies know you can see future problems coming and that this type of step says you can see them and are ready for them, they're less likely to happen.

But the one thing that is really critical, whoever the service is with (not just TT) is to look at whatever your contract says about cancellation, and be rigid and finicky in following it. You can bolt on additional protection like letters/recorded delivery (and I do) but the crucial point is to be very careful to follow their required measures .... and preferably, to be very visibly seen to be following them.

Registered+
    Thanks

Do it online, you'll be given an incident number which tracks all the relevant correspondence until the matter is concluded.

Confirm your instructions by Recorded Delivery for peace of mind.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Thanks Saracen.

I don't think he has an original contract as it was not sent but will ask him to double check any letters from them. Just the welcome pack that included router, his username etc to setup the internet. What I do know is that it is a 1 year contract and so will be on rolling contract from next month. To cancel requires 1 month notice. If you do it beforehand they charge 8.50gbp per month remaining of the contract. This is month 12, his bills are up-to-date except the current as his DD goes out in last week of April.

He got a cold call from India from someone in Sales named Lucy to save some money and at the time he accepted. He was with plusnet for bb but they went ahead and initiated a new connection without mac code for broadband. He was already a tiscali telephony customer which TT had bought. He was on a rolling telephony contract unless TT could persuade him to take up broadband making it a new 12 month contract. He did, they have. I know people have complained that TT model of cancellation has similarities to AOL, in that it is only accepted once they can hear an ambulance in the background. I just do not fancy being switched dept to dept at 10p a minute for hours.

So you think phone them 1st, send a letter off right after?

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by weta View Post
    Do it online, you'll be given an incident number which tracks all the relevant correspondence until the matter is concluded.

Which item in the TT portal can I click to do this? Is it just email?

They don't have any link that states 'to cancel', if you want to cancel they have given a number to call their customer services up.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by weta View Post

Thanks man.

I have done just that and I have an incident number. Now just to write it and post via mail as well. He got a call this evening saying their systems had been down and so they couldn't access the account. They are back up now. All weekend they have been down or on/off.

Thread Information