Thread: Can Netgear WN2500RP range extender "split" 5 band into 2.4 and 5 ?

Registered+
    Thanks

Can Netgear WN2500RP range extender "split" 5 band into 2.4 and 5 ?

I am considering buying Netgear WN2500RP to fulfil a specific task but I am not certain it can do that.

Situation :
    Our local WiFi 2.4 GHz band is getting crowded.

I guess this must be a reason why wireless performance is slowly deteriorating.
    i have just tried to switch channels but I do not expect any sudden improvement.
    Our WiFi enabled devices are a mixed bunch, a lot of b/g and some newer n capable of working with 5GHz band.
    My server and main PC are all hardwired to the router to its gigabit ports (both have gigabit NICs).
    Router is Linksys WAG320N, nice thing sitting upstairs in my study, working well, pseudo-dual band i.e. you can either select 2.4 or 5 but not both.

Obviously I keep it on 2.4 as all devices support that.
    5GHz band seems to be empty at the moment in our location.
    Recently I got some new AV kit, both pieces with WiFi b/g and Ethernet 100Mb ports, currently try to work with WiFi.

My plan :
    Install Netgear WN2500RP downstairs and set it up to work in both bands 2.4 and 5.
    Hardwire TV / Blue Ray to it.
    Configure Linksys to 5 band, that will serve both Netgear extender and some n devices (e.g. a fairly new laptop).
    Connect Netgear to the existing updated 5 band Linksys network.

In this configuration I could re-use existing WAG320N to take advantage of the empty 5 band to serve newer n devices and to forward data to the WN2500RP extender.
    The extender would then forward the data in 2.4 band to older b/g devices and via wired connection to TV / BR.

It sounds promising, in theory.
    At least I think so ...

Key question is :
    Can WN2500RP pickup data from 5GHz band (e.g. from WAG320N router) and then forward it via 2.4GHz ?
    Has anybody tried that ?
    Is it working ?

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Can Netgear WN2500RP range extender "split" 5 band into 2.4 and 5 ?

Interesting one!

Obviously a wired connection will be preferable to wi-fi if you can run the cables, but that isn't always easy.

I'm not sure how 5GHz band performance will compare with 2.4GHz. It will be more prone to multipath interference as the wavelength is about half that of 2.4GHz, and attenuation by solid objects may be higher. Set against that, there will be less interference.

I have no practical experience with 5GHz equipment b(or he router you mentioned) so my comments are based on theory. Microwave communication in a relatively uncontrolled environment can be unpredictable, so I suppose the best answer is try it and see. Your plan seems sound enough... on paper

Edit- just noted that the 2500RP is a range extender. I can't download the data sheet at the moment, but that might be worth looking at (from the Netgear site)
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Interesting one!
    Just trying hard to be clever ... i.e. read -> fix the problem with the minimal investment (I saw the extender at around 50 quid)

I suppose the best answer is try it and see.
    Hmmm ... yes, of course. I am only worried about this 50 quid ...

I think I need to send this question to the Netgear support ...

Registered+
    Thanks

I can't download the data sheet at the moment, but that might be worth looking at (from the Netgear site)
    From the manual :
    How the Extender Works
    The extender works like a bridge between a wireless router and a computer or wireless device outside the wireless router’s range. To do this, the extender has two main jobs:
    1. The extender connects to a wireless network that is up and running.
    When the extender connects wirelessly to a network, it acts as a network client. This is similar to how a computer connects to a network.
    2. The extender acts as an access point for computers.
    The extender has its own wireless network called NETGEAR_EXT that wireless computers can join. In its role as an access point, the extender performs tasks that wireless routers do, such as broadcasting its network name (SSID).
    The extender needs to do each of these jobs so that both ends of the bridge are in place.The extender is halfwaybetween the routerand the computer.
    When to Use Your Extender
    NETGEAR recommends that you connect to the extender only when your home network connection is poor. Because data traffic routed through the extender is inherently slower than traffic routed directly from the network, the computer should stay on the network if the connection is good enough. NETGEAR recommends that you connect through the extender network only when the computer is in a “dead zone” where connection from the network is very poor or non-existent.
    The extender LEDs can help you tell if the extender is correctly set up and working as it should.
    • The best performance is delivered when a the Link Rate LED or and the Wireless Device to Extender LED are green.
    • A workable performance is delivered when the Link Rate LED is amber and the Wireless Device to Extender LED is green.
    Positioning Your Extender
    The ideal location to place the extender is half-way between your wireless router and your computer.
    The best connection is established when there is a clear line of sight between the extender and the wireless router and also a clear line of sight between the extender and the computer you are using. If this straight path is blocked by a thick wall or other materials, move the extender to a different location half-way between the computer and the router.
    If there is no power outlet nearby, or you prefer to place the extender elsewhere, move the extender closer to the computer. If the Link Rate LED is green or amber and the Wireless Device to Extender LED is green, the extender is working as expected.
     To improve the Link Rate LED from red or amber to green:
    • Once you successfully connect to the extender from a computer that is outside the range of your router and log in to www.mywifiext.net, the Smart Wizard guides you through the process to connect the extender to a router.
    • If the Link Rate LED is red or the Smart Wizard cannot connect the extender to a router, move the extender closer to the router or to a different spot where it provides a better line of sight. As you move the extender, continue to check the Link Rate and the Wireless Device to Extender LEDs on the front panel until you find a location where the Link Rate LED is green or amber, and the Wireless Device to Extender LED is green. Note that you might have to unplug the extender as you move it to a different location. If you do, from the new location, power up the extender and continue to check the LEDs.
    Once the LEDs show that the extender is in a good location, open a browser and go to http://www.mywifiext.net to continue the setup proces.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmaciag View Post
    I think I need to send this question to the Netgear support ...
    Sent and got an answer ...

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR. My name is YYYYY and I will be your support expert. I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

I understand that you want to know if the Extender can connect to a 5GHZ network and then relay wireless signals on both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time. Since we are doing this online, it may require a few email exchanges before we can resolve the issue.

Regarding the concern, please note that you can certainly use the Extender to connect to a 5GHZ network and transmit on both 2.4GHZ and 5GHZ band.

Please do visit http://support.netgear.com for any technical queries regarding NETGEAR products.

I believe this answers your query. If you need any further help, please email us back so that we can continue to work on a solution.

A system generated e-mail will be sent to your e-mail address to inform you that we have responded to your inquiry. Please DO NOT REPLY to the e-mail sent to your e-mail address. Instead, if you want to reply to the message above and have additional query, please click "no" when the system ask you "Was your problem resolved with the information provided by the NETGEAR representative above?" When you select YES, your case will be closed and a separate e-mail containing a survey link will be sent to you to measure your customer support experience.

Thanks again for choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

YYYYY YYYYY
    Technical Support
    NETGEAR, Inc.
    Can I trust them ?

There is only one way to find out ...

EDIT 1 :
    I read some worrying reviews that relaying does not work as well as advertised ...
    In sense that the extender has trouble connecting to the existing network.
    At least some users reported that.
    Data sheet requires "clear line of sight" ... oh, yes ... clear line of sight ... I would not need the extender then ...

EDIT 2 :
    Common consensus seems to be that the range of 5GHz band is so much smaller than of 2.4GHz.
    So I decided to test that with my current router and the N enabled laptop with inSSIDer installed.
    I will set WAG320N to 5GHz mode and check with inSSIDer around the house for signal strenght.
    Depending on the result I will decide whether to buy the extender or not.
    That seems to be most logical approach I can take at this stage.
    I will post the results here ...
    Last edited by rmaciag; 12-07-2012 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Final thoughts ...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rmaciag View Post
    Common consensus seems to be that the range of 5GHz band is so much smaller than of 2.4GHz.
    So I decided to test that with my current router and the N enabled laptop with inSSIDer installed.
    I will set WAG320N to 5GHz mode and check with inSSIDer around the house for signal strenght.
    Depending on the result I will decide whether to buy the extender or not.
    That seems to be most logical approach I can take at this stage.
    I will post the results here ...
    I wish the results were more comprehensive but I just did not have enough time for playing around.
    I did what I planned.
    The laptop did pick up the 5GHz signal, inSSIDer was showing the source, the strength was so so but ...
    OK, the laptop was connecting to the router indicating some impressive bandwidth however that bandwidth was fluctuating a lot. Web pages were either retrieved very quickly or not at all. Connected to youtube to see how the streaming would work. Initial buffering was speedy but then it stopped. Playback ran smoothly until the end of the buffered passage. Then it stopped. Finito ...

I would either need plenty of time to experiment or just go for another solution.

Now I am considering powerline products that could provide connection just to the AV boxes (TV and BR). That should do the trick for streaming from the Microserver, via router, via mains, to TV/BR.
    I would need a switch at the end to drive at least 2 devices.
    I guess I can either buy powerline / switch combo or just powerline stations and a separate switch. I guess the second option may have some benefits as for testing (and actual usage) I really need just one port.

Thread Information