Thread: ADSL/etc Broadband Questions

Thanks

Question ADSL/Wireless Broadband Questions

I'm trying to get connected to broadband here in Ireland but the broadband products are pretty crap compared to what you in the UK are used to .

All the 512kbps ADSL packages have a download cap (all for around €40). The best is 10GB per month. With three people in our house it sems to me that that may be a bit restrictive? Especially considereing I download lots of open source programs, Linux distros, pictures, vodeos, etc.

The other option is wireless. There are two wireless broadband providers in the Cork area. According to their maps i am well within the coverage area and in line of sight for one of them. Neither of these have a bandwidth cap and both are either cheaper than the equivalent ADSL option or have better upload speed/static IP etc. Also no line rental to pay .

Has anyone had any experience with wireless broadband? If so whats the connection like etc? One of the services does not require line of sight (see here) but is that likely to be any good?

Thanks
    Last edited by turkster; 10-12-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Gateshead/Blueyonderland-Sky-Vergin on mad
    Thanks
    Wireless is OK.
    I`ve used it both mobile and fixed on a community/commercial basis.
    Your prices seem pretty good for Eire considering the price of normal phone lines which used to be pretty horrendous last time I was over there.

Thanks
    Yeah mobile rates are pretty high although I think land lines are pretty decent. ADSL isnt too bad but is still more than the UK and you can only really get 512kbps ADSL at the mo.

Thanks for info anyway I will look into it and see if they can actually get me connected .

Thread Information