Thread: Suggest a student network

Thanks

Suggest a student network

Moving into my student house next year with 3 other lads (4 in total) and we have a 2MB ADSL line already installed (Should be nice) now we need a network between our PC's, in total we have 5 PC's (I have 2) and I'm looking into what hardware we need to set up this network.

Currently we have (as in me ) have a 8 port switch and a PC that could be used as a server to share the connection.

I've got 2 ideas for a network.

1: All computers connected to the switch and use the server to share the access using ICS and a program I've found to split the bandwidth between the 4 computers equally, in essance, a ADSL line for each of us.

2: Get a router so that all computers can connect to the net individually. Problem is which router to get so that it also includes a modem e.t.c and possibilly a built in firewall.

Suggestions?

Thanks
    Although we have the cable (non-modem version), I highly recommend Netgear stuff. Have a look at this:

Netgear DG814 ADSL Router - Retail (NW-007-NG)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatal...ional_115.html

Just connect the switch if you need more.

DR
    Thanks
    Whats the point in sharing bandwidth equally - you all want to burst to the 2mbit - you should throttle it if needed... seems a bit OTT and geeky to me...

Tom
    Thanks
    i see what you mean dave but a clan member shared his connection with others, and every now and then his pings durin games would shoot to over 500-600 cos his housemate was a warez monkeh.

itd be good if u cud set it so u can say get at least a quarter of it. if somoene is downloading and u come along to dl something itll throttle theirs down and share it equally say

Thanks
    If you're going to run a cheap server computer to do the routing, be aware that it has to be on the whole time. Also I'd install ClarkConnect to do the routing instead of Windows - it'll run on a lower spec machine and can be administered by webpage over your lan. It also includes bandwidth sharing options and almost every form of server you could possibly desire. There's a thread on this somewhere.

Thanks
    so can windows. i had 2k3 on at work since july not 1 problem. not ne i know of anywayz. gonna set it up at home tomorrow.

but if its a decent pc then dont use it as a server. just get a switch obviosuly and a ADSL Modem + Router combo. or seperates.

Thanks
    Yeah, and what spec machine do you need to run 2k3, or even NT for that matter, including all the servers/options? Where did you get 2003 to install at home from anyway? At least with Linux you don't have to pay for a license for your router machine.

There's an ADSL modem/router/4-port switch on Scan for about £50 if you want to go the hardware route. That's cheaper than most windows installs, let alone the hardware to run it.

Thread Information