Thread: Networking and ISDN (Home Highway)

Thanks

Networking and ISDN (Home Highway)

Before i go reading all the manuals and get confused here is what i would like to do .
    I want to link 4 comps together using wireless networks cards
    I have these already they are microsoft mn510 usb adapters
    I also have an mn500 microsoft wirelss base station it says its a router with an integrated wireless access point and 4 port ethernet switch

Ive got my main comp connected to bt midband 128 through a home highway box via a usb cable.

In order that I can access the internet from the other comps in other rooms
    what do i need to do first.
    Do i need comp 1 that is currently connected to internet switched on if the other comps want access?(this is once im all setup)

Do i need to set up internet connection sharing after I have set up the network

thanks in advance

Thanks
    There are basical two way of doing it,

- the first is the Share the internet conection from the PC (ICS) if you got to "practical networked.com" and follow there guides for internet conection sharing. Thats what i did with my "midband" (homehighway) conection, its not great, becuase you have to have that PC on when ever the other want the internet conection, and i had trouble with firewalls untill i swap from Zonealarm, and did a bit of configuring in Sygate PFirewall.

- The other way of doing it is the scrap the USB link and wire a ISDN router (your current router will be an ADSL router - but there a few ISDN routers to be had, although there expensive) then, once thats set up, just wire the ISDN router to the WAPoint.

- or, the other option (if its avalable) is to scrap the lame BT homehighway **** in favor of broadband, which it proberble cheaper as well [that what im doing in Feb, as soon as BT sort out our exchange with BBand)

daniel

Thanks
    HomeHighway isnt compatable with any normal ISDN routers, well wasnt with any I could find when I used to have it 2yrs back... I would guess this is still the case now unless someone corrects me.

The only way you can do it is to have one computer permanantly on and use ICS over the wireless network.

Thanks
    You cant use the feature where it automatical dials the 2nd ISDN channel when its needed, which it only avablabe in USB mode. But if you get a twin ISDN router you can just plug it into the two (blue) ISDN sockets on the front of the BT unit.

daniel

Thanks
    thanks for your replies , its as i expected but thanks for the link ill use that, if i could have got bb i would have but the official word from BT after pestering them for two years was no chance , my exchange only has 130 lines in it (small village ) hence my only option was isdn

Thread Information