• Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Re: 8-port gigabit switch

My Devolo 1200 ones give me a reasonably solid 30MBps file transfer speed from the SSD drive on my server. In theory, this translates into roughly 240mbps connection.
    Out of curiosity, I tried transferring a file from and too my server at the same time and it drops to 15/15MBps proving that speeds are half duplex.

I also have one that doubles as an Wireless AC AP. The biggest benefit to that is that its fairly easy to move anywhere in the flat to get the best possible coverage.

You have to splash the cash to get the Devolo ones, but you very much get what you pay for. Although my cheapo TP link ones do the job, they really don't compare.
    I wouldn't hesitate to recommend devolo to someone who doesnt have the option of running cables but requires better stability and speed than you're likely to get with wireless.

Thanks

Re: 8-port gigabit switch

In terms of performance, unmanaged switches are all basically the same; smaller ones are nearly always capable of switching full duplex line speed on every port simultaneously (non-blocking). One thing to consider is port placement depending on where you're going to use it; some have ports and power input on one side and the activity LEDs on the other, while another type have ports with integrated LEDs on one side and the power input on the other, which is useful for rack use but can make them more awkward to position on a desk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information