Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 17 to 23 of 23

Thread: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

  1. #17
    I really don't care Dashers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    103 times in 85 posts
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 x2 SLI
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • x2 23.5" 1080 72Hz OC
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Mobile broadband providers are crap for this sort of thing, they block all sorts. Largely due to IPv4 address exhaustion.

    Depending on your router's capabilities, you may be able to run tools like tcpdump from the command line to sniff inbound packets. If you set that to capture packets on your service port you will be able to see if your ISP is blocking requests as you'll get at the very least TCP SYN packets. This will give you a definitive answer to whether your ISP is getting in the way.

    If your service is available from other machines locally, you don't need to worry about address binding above in b0redom's post as it'll either be your loopback or your nic.

    I'm not sure what VPNs allow you to host through their connections, you may have the same problem as mobile operators. Depending on your budget and the service you want to run you could look at a very cheap VPS and either host remotely, or use a SSH tunnel to broker connections.

  2. #18
    Senior Member Bonebreaker777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    184 times in 171 posts
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Ok, here's some specifics:



    ... reduced text ... sorry...

    A few more details would help with troubleshooting a great deal. What OS is the server running? What's the application you're trying to expose? What's the model of the firewall etc.
    Okay - according to the internet my public IP address is 12.123.123.123 (I've replaced some numbers, of course).

    In the router I've disabled the firewall and port forwarded the following:

    Service Source IP Port Range Local IP Local Port Protocol
    'Name' -left blank- '8999' 'local IP' '8090' 'TCP'

    And then I've tried to access it from outside type the following into the browser: http://12.123.123.123 :8999
    It was thinking for quite a while but eventually displayed: This site can't be reached.

    What OS is the server running? - Windows 10 Pro, firewall disabled
    What's the application you're trying to expose? - Some sort of a monitoring service, using mySQL (can give the name too if you're interested)
    What's the model of the firewall? - Both Windows firewall and the router firewall are turned off while testing the connections

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post

    If that STILL doesn't help, what happens if you attempt to telnet to the port from outside the firewall - ie in the above case:

    telnet 30.40.50.60 8999
    I should use Putty for this or just type it in the cmd from a machine outside the network?

  3. #19
    Senior Member Bonebreaker777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    184 times in 171 posts
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Mobile broadband providers are crap for this sort of thing, they block all sorts. Largely due to IPv4 address exhaustion.

    Depending on your router's capabilities, you may be able to run tools like tcpdump from the command line to sniff inbound packets. If you set that to capture packets on your service port you will be able to see if your ISP is blocking requests as you'll get at the very least TCP SYN packets. This will give you a definitive answer to whether your ISP is getting in the way.

    If your service is available from other machines locally, you don't need to worry about address binding above in b0redom's post as it'll either be your loopback or your nic.

    I'm not sure what VPNs allow you to host through their connections, you may have the same problem as mobile operators. Depending on your budget and the service you want to run you could look at a very cheap VPS and either host remotely, or use a SSH tunnel to broker connections.
    VPS is probably a no-go, if I understand the concept of a VPS correctly. The network must be physical and actual devices are connected and disconnected to and from the network. And we need to be able to demonstrate this.

  4. #20
    mush-mushroom b0redom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,223
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked
    316 times in 243 posts
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    Okay - according to the internet my public IP address is 12.123.123.123 (I've replaced some numbers, of course).

    In the router I've disabled the firewall and port forwarded the following:

    Service Source IP Port Range Local IP Local Port Protocol
    'Name' -left blank- '8999' 'local IP' '8090' 'TCP'

    And then I've tried to access it from outside type the following into the browser: http://12.123.123.123 :8999
    It was thinking for quite a while but eventually displayed: This site can't be reached.

    What OS is the server running? - Windows 10 Pro, firewall disabled
    What's the application you're trying to expose? - Some sort of a monitoring service, using mySQL (can give the name too if you're interested)
    What's the model of the firewall? - Both Windows firewall and the router firewall are turned off while testing the connections

    I should use Putty for this or just type it in the cmd from a machine outside the network?
    If you have a Linux/OSX machine use that, otherwise you'll likely need to install telnet and run it from cmd. You might need to change the source IP to 0.0.0.0 or whatever the wildcard is on your firewall. Just to confirm it definitely works inside the firewall right?

    Have you got any working services exposed through that router?

  5. #21
    I really don't care Dashers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    866
    Thanks
    30
    Thanked
    103 times in 85 posts
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX 970 x2 SLI
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • x2 23.5" 1080 72Hz OC
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Quote Originally Posted by Bonebreaker777 View Post
    VPS is probably a no-go, if I understand the concept of a VPS correctly. The network must be physical and actual devices are connected and disconnected to and from the network. And we need to be able to demonstrate this.
    The VPS is hosted, yes it's virtual, but pretty much everything is on the Internet. Your local devices on your LAN can still be physically connected, you're just using the VPS as a tunnel broker on the Internet to essentially present your service from another place. It's almost exactly the same as a VPN, but you're not bridging or routing, you're tunnelling a single service.

    Your requirement sounds a bit odd though. Smells a bit PCI-esq, which is business related. You should speak to your service provider about a dedicated IP address on your 3G connection and that will solve your problem. This will be something available to business users.

  6. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    120 times in 99 posts
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce GTX460 SC
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    I don't think anyone suggested it, but have you tried not redirecting the port and using the same external port as internal?

  7. #23
    Senior Member Bonebreaker777's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Herts, UK
    Posts
    1,927
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked
    184 times in 171 posts
    • Bonebreaker777's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H97I AC
      • CPU:
      • Xeon 1225 v3 + Freezer 11 L
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 4GB 1600Mhz 1T-8-8-8-20 1.35V Crucial BallistiX Tactical VLP
      • Storage:
      • 128GB CRUCIAL MX100///XPEnology server + 3 x WD Purple 3TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 4600
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! L8 300W PSU BN220
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 120
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100Mb

    Re: Localhost to be accessible via Internet

    Tested a lot of different option, finally settled with a SIM card with a public IP address. Too bad we couldn't find something simpler

    Edit: so after a while I've managed to get a SIM card with a public IP address and the proper login details. However, I still can't forward any of the ports. Any ideas, please?
    Last edited by Bonebreaker777; 12-12-2017 at 01:33 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •