Thread: Help - Tiscali Broadband problem.

Thanks

Help - Tiscali Broadband problem.

Right - Had a call last night and my father in law needs some help here. He's gone and bought Tiscali Broadband and CANNOT get the damn thing to work.

Basically this thing comes with a Sagem USB modem which appears to be working, the modem installs ok, the two green lights at the front
    power up to signal the ADSL Line is up and working, but whenever he tries to dial up it says no-dial tone, but does this really quickly as if it hasn't even attempted to detect it.

3 days of this now, and hes about to chuck the whole thing out the window. He's phoned Tiscali and they seem to think it must be a problem
    with his PC but I know for a fact ther is nothing wrong with it. Tiscali's help page seems to point to the problem of the internal 56k modem needing de-activating (which we've done) but still no joy, - an apparently working ADSL line but the modem just won't dial up

Any ideas peeps ?

Thanks
    This is probably a bit obvious but he's definately trying to connect using the ADSL internet option and not the old dial-up one is he? He needs to set the ADSL option as the default one in the internet settings. All the filters are connected properly?

I have a problem with my Tiscali supplied modem where sometimes when I boot up, the pc doesn't seem to pick up the fact that the modem is connected. All the lights are on on teh modem but I can't connect. I unplug the USB lead from the back of the modem, plug back in, and wait for the green play symbol to appear in the task bar, then everything is ok.

Sorry I can't help more. He has my sympathy trying to get any help from Tiscali's help line. I recently left them because their service was appalling. I don't know many who have a good word for them.

Thanks
    Beach - I'm pretty sure his Tiscali connection is the default connection as I made sure the option was ticked when we tried to manually set the connection up in the network settings. Worth checking again I suppose, I just can't see why the modem is making no attempt to dial the connection, even thought the line is activated.

Thanks
    As I said, sorry I can't be of more help. It does seem strange 'cause technically it doesn't need to 'dial in' does it? The BB should be permanently on and there's just a need to validate user id and pw.

If I come across anything, I'll let you know.

Edit:
    found this about half way down you'll find a post that says if you have BT 1571 (not sure what it is) and all the calls haven't been deleted, you won't get a dial tone. Might be worth checking that out.
    Last edited by Beach; 25-02-2005 at 12:48 PM.

Thanks
    Cheers Beach - no he hasn't got 1571, however the latest news is that this morning he's tried again, but this time its dialling out but theres no answer from the remote server (Error 619)

Thanks
    Tiscali help gives the 619 error code as port not open. That refers to the problem I talked about earlier with the USB modem not being recognised (if he looks at the task bar when the machine boots up, there should be a green 'play' arrow present. If there isn't, I used to get teh 619 message). By unplugging the USB cable from the back of modem and plugging back in again, I could force the PC to recognise the modem, the arrow would appear and I could connect to the net.

It's very annoying and I don't know why it should be but it used to happen quite frequently.

Thanks
    Thanks for your help Beach, but

SOLVED !!

Tried another usb port...worked first time!

Doh !

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Tiscali ewwwwww
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thread Information