• Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Ubiquiti setup for home

Has anyone moved their home network over to a setup using Ubiquiti products. My current setup was a single asus router with one velop unit acting as a bridge and one 8 port switch for any ethernet enabled devices. I'm currently experimenting with just two Velop units as a mesh but it's okay, a little weak still at rear and sacrificed 3 ports.

My setup would be a router + 2 AP + video doorbell from same company. What I want to know is what kind of cost would be involved to get most out of it.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

Re: Ubiquiti setup for home

Yep I went from an Asus router with 3 BT whole home wi-fi discs to a Unifi Dream Machine, 4 x AP-AC Pro access points, 2 x US-8 60w switches, 1 x US 24 port switch and 4 x USW-Flex mini switches.

In terms of coverage I'd say it's an improvement over my previous setup but not by much, however that's mainly my fault as I've definitely got too many access points and need to remove probably two of them or tune and position the ones I've got better.

Secondly the issue at the moment is supply of Unifi kit, it's very constrained and therefore prices are inflated (sometimes massively) and most of my kit came from ebay where I managed to either get kit at near retail pricing or occasionally a stone cold bargain.

With regards to the door bell I don't use a Unifi one, it's very overpriced for what it is and also I can't meet it's power requirements so I just use a Uefy one.

Where I love my Unifi set up is that it give me total control and insight into what's going on from a single interface and is very geeky but easy to use. Also as it all supports Vlans I have the option to set them up when I get faster broadband & have a need to segregate my home network.

My previous set up was pretty much fit & forget and not much insight into what devices were connecting to what. My new setup requires a bit a of management (not much though) and now I have total control. I certainly do not regret my purchases, the extra kit I have/had I can sell on and easily get my money back. And I've just bought a UDM Pro which will be going in shortly so my UDM will be up for sale soon.

Which router will you be getting? UDM Pro, UDM or Dream Router? Also are you wanting to go Wi-FI 6? Personally I didn't see any point or advantage for my needs.

3. Received thanks from:

pp05 (01-09-2022)

Thanks

I did sriously think about it and was (a year or so back) close to going DM Pro, etc. What stopped me was two-fold - firstly, the data breach, and secondly, the mandatory online portal for controlling stuff. As I understand it, but having lost interest, the data breach fiasco resulted in one very positive outcome, that being that you can at least now (I think) avoid the online portal approach (if you wish) and have fully local control.

My view is that the online thing is a doubled-edged sword in that it offers advantages BUT any such incoming access also gives an extra attack surface for intruders, and one beyond my control at that. A deciding factor might be whether you need such incoming access anyway, for your other needs. I don't, so I've locked everything I can down to exclude anybody, including me, from remoting in. That does suit my needs, but it's not hard to imagine why it won't suit a lot of people.

So I ended up going the Asus router ... erm, route, instead. I stuck in a 2.5Gbit LAN but with 10Gbit backbone between switches. I thought about full 10 Gbit but it just seemed like way overkill for my needs, and the switches I have are 2.5Gbit locally, but 10Gbit between the (currently) two switches, so the backhaul doesn't bottleneck individual machines below 2.5 Gbit, even when doing big file transfers.

The Asus routers are in Mesh mode, so wifi (which now isn't used much, given the 2.5 / 10 Gbit wired links) is pretty solid. Well, rock solid. I used the very limited VLAN options to keep some stuff (like Amazon echos) off my data/NAS LAN, and it gives enough versatility for my needs. It's certainly not as configurable as "proper" managed switches and a DM Pro, external firewall etc, but I think it's good enough for my needs.

Cost? Well, it'd be a lot dearer now than when I did it, not least 'cos those 2.5G / 10G switches that were £90-ish (6 ports, one of which is 10G (copper) or 2.5G, the other 5 straight 2.5G went from that £90 to a current (eye-watering) £220-ish. The Asus routers were around £230 each (I could have done that much cheaper but went for identical routers, which is overkill but does mean I have some redundancy if one fails). Then, incidentals like cable, and a couple of 2.5G USB dongles for devices with older 1G LAN. Except the TV stuff runs via a 1 GBit switch. 'cos I figure that's all it needs.

Would I still do it this way today? I'm honestly not sure. It wasn't cheap but nor is the Ubiquiti route. I would give the Ubiquiti option another look but the issue might well be the complexity of setup versus flexibility. Ubiquiti is no doubt more flexible but at the 'cost', in my eyes anyway, of complexity. The VLANS are an example. I'm not configuring a complex office stup. It's a home, with two occupants, one of which views anything 'computer' as a necessary evil to be suffered when needed. As for me, I want to set it up as quickly as possible, with as little effort as possible, and have zero interest in 'fiddling' with it any more than necessary to coax it into doing what I want, with as much security as I can manage. Network administration for sheer interest? Not for me.

I don't know how relevant all this is, but is another perspective.

Oh, and video doorbell? That makes me a bit nervous. But CCTV camera (with sound), controlled and recording locally, covering the door? Yup, check.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

5. Received thanks from:

pp05 (01-09-2022)

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    Yep I went from an Asus router with 3 BT whole home wi-fi discs to a Unifi Dream Machine, 4 x AP-AC Pro access points, 2 x US-8 60w switches, 1 x US 24 port switch and 4 x USW-Flex mini switches.

In terms of coverage I'd say it's an improvement over my previous setup but not by much, however that's mainly my fault as I've definitely got too many access points and need to remove probably two of them or tune and position the ones I've got better.

Secondly the issue at the moment is supply of Unifi kit, it's very constrained and therefore prices are inflated (sometimes massively) and most of my kit came from ebay where I managed to either get kit at near retail pricing or occasionally a stone cold bargain.

With regards to the door bell I don't use a Unifi one, it's very overpriced for what it is and also I can't meet it's power requirements so I just use a Uefy one.

Where I love my Unifi set up is that it give me total control and insight into what's going on from a single interface and is very geeky but easy to use. Also as it all supports Vlans I have the option to set them up when I get faster broadband & have a need to segregate my home network.

My previous set up was pretty much fit & forget and not much insight into what devices were connecting to what. My new setup requires a bit a of management (not much though) and now I have total control. I certainly do not regret my purchases, the extra kit I have/had I can sell on and easily get my money back. And I've just bought a UDM Pro which will be going in shortly so my UDM will be up for sale soon.

Which router will you be getting? UDM Pro, UDM or Dream Router? Also are you wanting to go Wi-FI 6? Personally I didn't see any point or advantage for my needs.
    You're not wrong about prices. I was looking UDM Pro with hard drive if I go with doorbell, plus 2x AP wifi5. I would need a seperate switch for POE. Costs start piling up...

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen999 View Post
    I did sriously think about it and was (a year or so back) close to going DM Pro, etc. What stopped me was two-fold - firstly, the data breach, and secondly, the mandatory online portal for controlling stuff. As I understand it, but having lost interest, the data breach fiasco resulted in one very positive outcome, that being that you can at least now (I think) avoid the online portal approach (if you wish) and have fully local control.

My view is that the online thing is a doubled-edged sword in that it offers advantages BUT any such incoming access also gives an extra attack surface for intruders, and one beyond my control at that. A deciding factor might be whether you need such incoming access anyway, for your other needs. I don't, so I've locked everything I can down to exclude anybody, including me, from remoting in. That does suit my needs, but it's not hard to imagine why it won't suit a lot of people.

So I ended up going the Asus router ... erm, route, instead. I stuck in a 2.5Gbit LAN but with 10Gbit backbone between switches. I thought about full 10 Gbit but it just seemed like way overkill for my needs, and the switches I have are 2.5Gbit locally, but 10Gbit between the (currently) two switches, so the backhaul doesn't bottleneck individual machines below 2.5 Gbit, even when doing big file transfers.

The Asus routers are in Mesh mode, so wifi (which now isn't used much, given the 2.5 / 10 Gbit wired links) is pretty solid. Well, rock solid. I used the very limited VLAN options to keep some stuff (like Amazon echos) off my data/NAS LAN, and it gives enough versatility for my needs. It's certainly not as configurable as "proper" managed switches and a DM Pro, external firewall etc, but I think it's good enough for my needs.

Cost? Well, it'd be a lot dearer now than when I did it, not least 'cos those 2.5G / 10G switches that were £90-ish (6 ports, one of which is 10G (copper) or 2.5G, the other 5 straight 2.5G went from that £90 to a current (eye-watering) £220-ish. The Asus routers were around £230 each (I could have done that much cheaper but went for identical routers, which is overkill but does mean I have some redundancy if one fails). Then, incidentals like cable, and a couple of 2.5G USB dongles for devices with older 1G LAN. Except the TV stuff runs via a 1 GBit switch. 'cos I figure that's all it needs.

Would I still do it this way today? I'm honestly not sure. It wasn't cheap but nor is the Ubiquiti route. I would give the Ubiquiti option another look but the issue might well be the complexity of setup versus flexibility. Ubiquiti is no doubt more flexible but at the 'cost', in my eyes anyway, of complexity. The VLANS are an example. I'm not configuring a complex office stup. It's a home, with two occupants, one of which views anything 'computer' as a necessary evil to be suffered when needed. As for me, I want to set it up as quickly as possible, with as little effort as possible, and have zero interest in 'fiddling' with it any more than necessary to coax it into doing what I want, with as much security as I can manage. Network administration for sheer interest? Not for me.

I don't know how relevant all this is, but is another perspective.

Oh, and video doorbell? That makes me a bit nervous. But CCTV camera (with sound), controlled and recording locally, covering the door? Yup, check.
    On the doorbell I was juggling between cloud based vs local storage. Ring is easier alternative in terms of setting up but then that would essentially turn my doorbell into netflix subscription. Ubiquiti pricey but at least stores it locally with wide lens so you have the option of not placing on the front door facing the road, could put it on the side wall to the door and it will catch everything. Then will come with its own rabbit hole of .. udm pro... oh wait.. i'll need one with hard drive slot.. I'll need some poe switches so that add an extra switch on top... it's going hit £1000.

But you're right, I could probably get 2 asus routers(I have 1 mid-tier ax) and mesh them and that would give me the kind of coverage as a stop gap and less hassle in terms of managing it. Streaming is now the big bandwidth hog and I'm glad I ran a cat6 cable upto TV a few years back into a four port switch. 2.5g for lan is very handy.

I have got to experiment a little more. If I can place my Asus router at a more elevated height (no plug sockets) that might just sort wifi out otherwise mesh setup it is.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

I have an Asus mesh capable router that I can flog you! Asus RT-AC86u

In terms of cost this is what I paid approx for my Ubiquiti kit, most of it secondhand although some was new.

Ubquiti Dream Machine £220
    AP-AC Pro - aprox £70 each
    Gen 1 US 24 non poe switch £200 i think
    Flex mini switches £26 each new
    US 8 60W switches £110 each new.

I could easily get by with less kit i.e. switches & AP's as I said earlier.

In reality you should not need a POE switch to power the AP's, can just use POE injectors as I've have to do in couple of locations. If do want to add a POE switch then US 8 60w switch will be enough to power the AP's as long as you get the new version.

If you want to do the Unifi door bell and can power it, then a UDM is no good for you, you need either the Dream Router or UDM Pro or UDM Pro SE. If you get the Dream Router it has 2 POE ports anyway and a Wi-Fi 6 AP built in, if you go UDM Pro it has no POE ports, so you may need a POE switch if not using injectors or the UDM Pro has POE ports of different flavours.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    I have an Asus mesh capable router that I can flog you! Asus RT-AC86u

In terms of cost this is what I paid approx for my Ubiquiti kit, most of it secondhand although some was new.

In reality you should not need a POE switch to power the AP's, can just use POE injectors as I've have to do in couple of locations. If do want to add a POE switch then US 8 60w switch will be enough to power the AP's as long as you get the new version.

If you want to do the Unifi door bell and can power it, then a UDM is no good for you, you need either the Dream Router or UDM Pro or UDM Pro SE. If you get the Dream Router it has 2 POE ports anyway and a Wi-Fi 6 AP built in, if you go UDM Pro it has no POE ports, so you may need a POE switch if not using injectors or the UDM Pro has POE ports of different flavours.
    Thanks I'll keep Asus in mind.

Mine at the moment is sitting idle as I test velops out. I could add it to the velops as a bridge also to see how that plays out.

Thread Information