Thread: Another Network Cable Question

Thanks

Another Network Cable Question

So will start by saying wireless is not an option. So with that out of the way are flat network cables any good?

I need to get a cable from the lounge to a switch in a bedroom and then from that room to 2 other rooms.

Its a rented property and I cannot drill anywhere and need to keep cables concealed as much as possible
    Jon

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Re: Another Network Cable Question

Quote Originally Posted by Jonj1611 View Post
    So will start by saying wireless is not an option. So with that out of the way are flat network cables any good?

I need to get a cable from the lounge to a switch in a bedroom and then from that room to 2 other rooms.

Its a rented property and I cannot drill anywhere and need to keep cables concealed as much as possible
    SFAIK flat cables cannot reach full spec speeds, but I'm happy to be overruled on that.

Could powerline adaptors work?

Thanks

I have had no end of issues with powerlines, the upstairs and downstairs are on different circuits and it frequently disconnects. I have seen more reputable companies don't actually sell flat network cables so I did guess there would be something in that, just normal cables are so messy to work with especially when trying to run over the house whereas at least flat will get under the carpet
    Jon

Thanks

I have what's supposed to be a Cat 7 (bit of a weird spec) 30m FLAT cable that supports 10Gb/sec. Made by Fosto, sold on Amazon.

I had it providing a 10Gbit link between two 2.5Gbit switches, i.e. allowing full fat 2.5Gbit on al ports simultaneously.

The hubs certainly detect it as 10Gbit (LEDs set colour correctly) and I haven't been able to detect any issues with it. It seems to work as it says on the tin. That said, it'l not in place at the moment. But even at 30m, it worked fine, to the best of my ability to tell.

I may have just been lucky though. YMMV.

EDIT - One area to be cautious about with flat cables is the lack of external (to the cares) screening. I'm using it in a location that it pretty quiet in therms of either AC or RF 'noise'.
    Last edited by Saracen999; 20-02-2023 at 10:30 PM.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

5. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (21-02-2023)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

i know this might sound crazy but fibre optic cable is TINY and easy to run around the edge of carpets and skirtings so long as you can find a vertical path between storeys where the bends can be taken out without any sudden kinks.

Amazon sell preterminated lengths and some of them are quite long. With a basic switch up and down that has SFP/SFP+ you could then run standard cat6 to where you need them.

7. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (21-02-2023)

Thanks

Trying flat cable first then fibre if that doesn't work for some reason sounds like a reasonable plan. If Saracen can get 10Gb on a 30m dodgy flat Amazon cable, you should be alright too.

9. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (21-02-2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    i know this might sound crazy but fibre optic cable is TINY and easy to run around the edge of carpets and skirtings so long as you can find a vertical path between storeys where the bends can be taken out without any sudden kinks.

Amazon sell preterminated lengths and some of them are quite long. With a basic switch up and down that has SFP/SFP+ you could then run standard cat6 to where you need them.
    Agree with that. Switches for 10G SFP+ can be cheap(-ish) too BUT .... be careful of transceiver costs.

I used what I did because it was retrofitting a 10G backbone to existing 2.5G devices (inc computers and the NAS) and worked out a LOT cheaper than full-blooded 10G and/or fibre. The latter would've mean upgrading PCs, laptop, and the switches (which were already some £200 each), and a 10G card for the NAS whereas 2.5G was built-in. And, IMHO, 10G / fibre was a bit overkill for my needs.

Running fibre would've been quicker and easier, though. At the moment, the flat cable is just kinda draped up the stairs but, come warmer weather (in the loft) it's going totally stealth.

I think a lot depends on needs and/or restrictions. I won't need to drill holes (or maybe one, depending on the eventual exact route taken), mainly 'cos I did all that years ago and will re-use existing holes.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jonatron View Post
    Trying flat cable first then fibre if that doesn't work for some reason sounds like a reasonable plan. If Saracen can get 10Gb on a 30m dodgy flat Amazon cable, you should be alright too.
    That cable was also only something like £15 (maybe £17). It was within my "take a punt and just bin it it's rubbish" limit.

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry for not replying sooner for some reason I am not getting emails when someone replies.

I will try the flat cable first as its the cheaper option then go look at something like fibre. Problem with renting is they are so pedantic, when we moved in they must have taken easily 100+ photos which they compare against when you move out. Anything that isn't wear and tear and they want to know about it.
    Jon

13. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (21-02-2023)

Thanks

Many thanks for the replies. Sorry for not replying sooner for some reason I am not getting emails when someone replies.

I will try the flat cable first as its the cheaper option then go look at something like fibre. Problem with renting is they are so pedantic, when we moved in they must have taken easily 100+ photos which they compare against when you move out. Anything that isn't wear and tear and they want to know about it.
    Hmmm. Even that flat cable has to be held down somehow. The awkward bit is possibly that even if you can nail-in cable clips, the clips you need for flat cable aren't the conventional ones for round cable (obviously, y'know, Flat <> round ). I did get a few with it and yeah, they can be hunted down. Just be aware.

What I also tested, briefly, was double-side "Gorilla" tape. I put it in quotes because I don't remember what brand it was. Migt have been Gorilla but might have been 3M.

Advantages = equals leaves no holes. Not even tiny ones.

Disadvantages? Well, I seemed to have to hold each bit in place to get it to grip. Once it has 'gone off', it was fine, but a bit tentative until then. Second, in small bits suitable for flat cable, it can be a right royal PITA to use. Thirdly, what I don't know, not having tried, is whether removing the cable will do damage to the paint? I guess it depends on which is sronger, the tape-to-paint bond, or the paint-to-wood bond. But if it does do a bit of unintended paint-stripping, it shouldn't be hard or expensive to repair.

Just thought I'd point that out in case nailed clips are a no-no.

Thanks

Many thanks, I may try and find the tape or I am wondering if the 3M Command hooks might be any good like the small ones they do for xmas lights etc. Something like this though not sure how practical they would be :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/COMMAND-CHR...dp/B0187TC47C/
    Jon

Thanks

No idea on the hooks. I guess it depends where you'll be sticking them and how strong they are. If I had to guess, I'd say they'll probably work, but only trying it will tell. If they do, they look far easier to apply than the damn tape .... which was a faff.

Thread Information