• Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

ASUS AiProtection update caused routers to go offline

A bad week for ASUS

Quote Originally Posted by Bleeping Computer
    ASUS has apologized to its customers for a server-side security maintenance error that has caused a wide range of impacted router models to lose network connectivity.

"During routine security maintenance, our technical team discovered an error in the configuration of our server settings file, which could potentially cause an interruption in network connectivity on part of the routers," explains ASUS in a support bulletin.

A user on Reddit explained that the connectivity issues were caused by a corrupted definition file for ASD (ASUS AiProtection).

"Updating the firmware has pretty much universally fixed this, but so does simply resetting the router to factory defaults so long as it clears the NVRAM," explained the user on Reddit.

The ASD is a built-in security daemon supplied by Trend Micro, and it is used in a wide range of router models for real-time protection against emerging threats.

However, this component is updated regardless of whether the user has automatic security (firmware) updates enabled on their device or not.
    https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...curity-update/

2. Received thanks from:

Saracen999 (20-05-2023)

Thanks

Re: ASUS AiProtection update caused routers to go offline

That MIGHT explain a problem I had. Maybe.

All of a sudden, I found I couldn't access either the wjeb-based but locally hosted interface to my NAS. The NAS was accessible fie transfers but I couldn't get in to the conrol panel. I also couldn't get Emby to start, in my browser. I fiddled for ages, eliminating possibilities (like wired v wifi, this switch or that one in-circuit or not, change cables between switches and so on.

I was beginning to suspect either a NAS failure on the LAN port, or a malware kind of incident, locking me out. It was late by then, so turn it all off, went to bed. By the following morning, everything was fine, normal, and working.

I still don't know if it was that security issue, but from the minimal detail given, it sounds semi-plausible. But, and no point did I lose any internet connectivity, merely SOME functions on my own LAN.

The timing of it seems about right, but I didn't do the suggested router reset. Just, power eerything down, bring it up part at a time, which made no apparent difference except, after that, even NAS SMB shares were offline.

Whatever it was, it was either an internal router or NAS brain fart that cured itself, or it was that Asus problem and nothing I did fixed it, but fixed it seems to be.

I really, truly hate not finding out what it was that caused it, because it leaves me no wiser about sorting it out if it happens again.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Which model do you have?
    Mines now out of support (RT-AC5300), but I don't use Trendmicro. I plan to upgrade later in the year.

I had a powercut roughly 2 months ago and the router went mad, doing all sorts of weird things. I factory reset it and touch wood it's been fine ever since.

Thanks

RT-AX86U. About 18 months old, I guess. Trend is on.

The original plan was to add another model or two, as a Mesh. I ended up running ethernet cable, adding switches and doing most of the LAN stuff via wired. Smart speakers etc go through the hived-off portion of the router, on 2.5G wifi.
    A lesson learned from PeterB about dignity in adversity, so Peter, In Memorium, "Onwards and Upwards".

Thread Information