Thread: ADSL Modem & Intel LAN Drivers

Thanks

ADSL Modem & Intel LAN Drivers

I have recently upgraded to a Gigabyte 8KNXP mobo with onboard Intel LAN.

I also use a PCI ADSL modem with conexant chipset.

When I put the new board in I loaded the Gigabyte drivers including the Intel LAN drivers for the ethernet port.

I found the modem would connect to the exchange and I could dial my ISP (Demon). However, I could not access web pages or download mail.

The only fix was to complete a system restore to the point before I loaded the drivers and then disable the onboard LAN in the BIOS to stop XP Pro recognising the hardware at boot.

I have also tried the new Intel drivers on the XP update site. The same issue occurs.

I also installed an external modem with a TI chipset and the same fault occured.

Anyone seen this problem? Any fixes?

Thanks
    Tried a different PCI slot?

Thanks
    Yes, I have tried 3 to no avail.

Thanks
    If you can get in sync with the exchange and also connect to the isp with 2 separate modems, then drivers are unlikely to be the problem. It could possibly be an exchange problem, but usually unlikely. However there is an easy way to pin down if its a windows issue - just install an old 56K modem and if it fails to connect to a pay as you go isp with the same symptoms then its going to be the oporating system thats at fault.**

I'm not at work at work so and I dont know the command to reset tcp/ip off the top of my head [bah, this post is taking too long - goole brings up this -> MS Knowlage base

Also, it can be a good idea with 2K/XP to remake the conenction in the network folder if you havent already done this.

I'm not going to mention the other noob problems that can cause this:
    a) Customer tells you Outlook express has the same problem as IE when in fact it doesnt and its user error and OE is fine.
    b) Firewall.

Thread Information