Thread: Bl**dy Norton!!!!

Thanks

Angry Bl**dy Norton!!!!

I'm running Norton for my firewall and on some websites I can't do searches etc etc. If I disable Norton while on taht site all that happens is it says there's an error on the page. It's something to do with Java, but I dont know what how or why... HELP!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    You cant view^H^H^H^H or rather use certain web sites whether you have norton Securities enabled or dissabled and you tried resetting all the usual IE options back to factory defaults?

You are using IE6 and WinXP? You arnt really having trouble sending/receiving emails and your messenger program of choice is ok? You possibly havent tried another browser such as Mozilla?

Thanks
    not surprising I hate norton full stop

best advice get rid and run something like AVP pro!!

Thanks
    Originally posted by cliky
    not surprising I hate norton full stop

best advice get rid and run something like AVP pro!!
    Thats not exactly gonna solve his problem seeing as he is talking about Norton Personal Firewall or Internet Security and you are talking about Anti-Virus

I have had probs with Norton and specific sites but CBA with trying to find the problem so leave it disabled.... Need to get around to removing it and leaving the firewall business up to the Smoothwall box I have....

I'll have another look if I get the chnace tho unless someone posts a solution

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    Trickle, sorry, shoulda been clearer.

I cant use the forms on some websites.. I get javascript messages in the bottom left hand corner of IE when I hover over the the buttons but all that happens is the page just goes blank and says done when I click the button....

Uninstalling Norton aint an option as I NEED a firewall. Used to use ZA but I've forked out for Norton, use the antivirus etc etc which has saved me twice now, so it aint coming off.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    IIRC its in the privacy and content control parts of NIS but not 100% sure till I get home to check

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    Try another browser maybe, First test tho is to disable norton (can be tricky... bloody thing refuses to **** off most of the time) and then try your forms, if it works with norton off, ring thier tech support, if its the same I would try another browser. I use opera and I can say that it is in fact... THE DADDY
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    Whilst you need to temp disable the FW as part of the test, imho it doesnt really sound like a FW issue?

Also whilst I mentioned a different browser, you still often need IE6 working if you want to use a specific site thats been badly written and wont work on the other browsers - bank sites etc. If you are having trouble with IE, the first thing you do is head to 'internet options' and go through all the tabs using the 'default level/restore/reset' buttons and also perhaps delete cookies (perhaps saving ones for known sites - though make sure to delete ones for site in question) and temp files. If this is anything other than win XP, then you make sure you have latest version/service pack and try the 'repair' option that can be found for IE in Add/Remove programs.

Using another browser to see if it works will give you perhaps a good idea of what is supposed to happen on the site and perhaps confirm that you arnt mistaken and the site itself isnt just having problems. Another thing Deckard mentioned but didnt go in depth on explaining was the mention of the word Java. If he is only having trouble with sites using this then perhaps this explains it straight away.

Thanks
    Trcikel, yeah, its just this one site and Javascript ... I'm beggining to think its just a badly written site.

Ex-PC enthusiast
    Thanks
    Hi Deckard do you have a link to the site so I can test it here?
    The Cow by Ogden Nash
    The cow is of the bovine ilk;
    One end is moo, the other, milk.

Thanks
    yep, its www.sainsburys.co.uk

And before you laff, I HAVE to access this site cos of what I do...

Thanks
    I used to use it before I got a car. Its in dire need of a few more pictures.

Works ok on both mozila and IE6 here.

My guess is that your IE is possibly having trouble with either SUN Java or MS java virtual machine. TBH I'm not that clued up on java at all. All I know is that winXP now tends not to auto update MS Java with sp1? and comes with SUN java... and that SUN java had a problem where one of its updates stopped an older version working - you should see two entries in add/remove programs for it.

Hmm, we need someone here who knows what they are talking about

Thread Information