Thread: Will this be OK?

Thanks

Question Will this be OK?

I'm going to be connecting 3 PCs together with a wireless network soon (hopefully!). So far, I have the following:

1x Ebuyer 108Mbps 4 Port Wireless ADSL Modem Router, 40 VPN Tunnels, UPNP with USB print server (802.11G+)
    3x Belkin 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapter

I'm pretty set on the PCI adapter (unless there's a better/cheaper one), but not absolutly sure on the router. I've had a word with a few people on IRC, and a few people think I should pay more and get something like the Linksys WAG54G, but I'd rather not spend much more than about £100 on the lot (what I have now is £107.38).

I've read all the reviews for the router, and one of them sounds really positive:
    The 2nd adapter down the other end of my bungalow has got 6 concrete walls and a utility room between it and the modem; and the signal is good-excellent! So I am happy with that!
    However, inx|els-lappy on IRC has said that the UPNP "feature" of the router is designed to be an easy way of letting ports get opened without you doing anything. Therefore, I suppose anything could get through? Is this really a bad thing, or am I missing something?

I'm hoping to get something soonish, so any help would be nice. Thanks .

EDIT - I've just had a look (athough not a huge one) for upnp, and I've seen nothing negative about it. Is there a reason for me NOT to buy this router?
    Last edited by ajbrun; 06-09-2005 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    You could get, http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=37494 < That and use your existing router modem for internet acsess.

Thanks
    If you are thinking of getting another make, I would say netgear instead of linksys.
    Was going to go wireless cause I seen a really good deal on a linksys router but then I read some customer reviews. The reception was terrible according to them.

no idea what the netgear one with the 8 arials is like but it cant be bad...

Ended up staying with wired network.

Thanks
    Is there anything wrong with the ebuyer one though? Is there a reason for me to NOT get it, or for me to get something else instead?

Thanks
    It seems ok to me. The reviews aren't bad, some people have had problems with printers and the like but I'm sure u have read the reviews page.

If I had money to spend on a wireless router, I would spend a bit more and get a named make rather than an "own brand". But thats just my opinion...

Go for it, whats the worst that can happen?

Thanks
    I see your point. I've looked on the supported printer list (it's not very big), but my printer isn't on there. I'm not hugley bothered about the printer server - I just see it as a nice extra.

The only thing that I'm concerned about (since I've not touched wirelessness before) is the range. We have about 2 walls to go through, and no more than 10 metres in a straight line between the PCs' to be connected. I've heard report of some people getting their wireless network up to 3 houses down the street, and although I don't need that, I want to make sure it covers at least our property.

Thanks
    You can buy boosters for some types of routers but I don't really know much about it. My step-brother made his own arial so my dad down the street could get the internet. Dunno if it worked but he made it...

Some makes of routers really don't like walls and nearly need line of sight. My old flatmate is having real problems at home cause its going thru a wall. Its a really old house so the walls are really thick. Dunno what make it was.

Check what ur walls are made of. Plasterboard shouldnt be a problem...

Thanks
    I don't know exactly what they're made of, but I think it's thin because then I knock it, it makes a thin sounding sound .

Do you know of a 'better' router for not much more than this one is (the price went up by £4 last night ), that you think would do the job better?

Thanks for the help .

Thanks
    Found this for you...

Wireless Antennas
    Wireless network adapters, access points, and routers all utilize an antenna to assist in receiving signals on the WLAN. Some wireless antennas, like those on adapters, are internal to the unit. Other antennas, like those on many access points, are externally visible. The normal antennas shipped with wireless products provide sufficient reception in most cases, but you can also usually install an optional, add-on antenna to improve reception. You generally won't know whether you'll need this piece of equipment until after you finish your basic network setup.

Wireless Signal Boosters
    Some manufacturers of wireless access points and routers also sell a small piece of equipment called a signal booster. Installed together with a wireless access point or router, a signal booster serves to increase the strength of the base station transmitter. It's possible to use signal boosters and add-on antennas together, to improve both wireless network transmission and reception simultaneously.
    Both antennas and signal boosters can be a useful addition to some home networks after the basics are in place. They can bring out-of-range computers back into range of the WLAN, and they can also improve network performance in some cases.

Thanks
    Would the more expensive ones have a better signal, or are they all pretty much the same?

I think the general idea is it's OK to go for the ebuyer one right now.

Thanks
    I think more expensive ones would let u attach a bigger antanae, but no idea about the ebuyer one.
    Buy it and post ur findings so i can try and convince myself 2 get one....

Splash
    Off topic - where in York are you AJ? Any more on here from York?

And back on topic (ish) - I have the Netgear DG834GT and have had no problems with it at all, but it's out of your price range. Though saying that you can get it with a freebie adapter at the moment if you shop around (or just go to PCW or Amazon)

Thanks
    I think all off the routers have the same power output , its mostly down to antenna placement ( which makes ones that will accept an external antenna more versatile in that respect )

I'd guess that if you unscrew the stub antenna on that one , you'll probably be able to fit and extra or longer reach antenna.

UPnP is a way of dynamically added NAT port forwards. If an application is UPnP aware , it will try and map the ports it needs to use ( for example certain BitTorrent clients will do this , as will MSN messenger to allow better file transfer video etc ) If you dont like the idea of this , then turn Upnp off !
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby-Dick
    UPnP is a way of dynamically added NAT port forwards. If an application is UPnP aware , it will try and map the ports it needs to use ( for example certain BitTorrent clients will do this , as will MSN messenger to allow better file transfer video etc ) If you dont like the idea of this , then turn Upnp off !
    I don't know if I like the idea or not. I'm just wondering if it's safe when used. I don't want to be letting things in that I don't want.

Quote Originally Posted by Splash
    Off topic - where in York are you AJ? Any more on here from York?
    I believe Bigman is from York uni, and I live in Wigginton. Are you from York also?

Thanks
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thread Information