Thread: Active Server List Online/Offline? HOW!

Thanks

Question Active Server List Online/Offline? HOW!

when you go to a mirror list and it shows you what servers are online and what arent how do you put that on a website. because a mate wants to mirror me and other mates pcs for files and we need to be able to tell what mirrors ip's are active etc... how do you do this?java?
    for those that still don't get me... you go on fileplanet it shows mirrors showing online/offline next to the mirrors link... HOW do you put a list showing mirrors and if they are online/offline.

Thanks
    anyone know? or should this be moved to software?

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    software dev might be better.

Normally this is done via the use of a perodic scheduled task on the server. Every 5 minuites or so, it checks the status of all the mirrors, and modifies the HTML as a result.

More often people then look at the IP of the requestie, and then decided to recomend a mirror which is near them. IPs are deligated, ICAN at the highest level provide a list of who they assign what too. Then (RIPE covers europe) the delegated produces a list of which countries have what blocks.

Its a really simple task for someone familar with the language. If you don't know any of these languages, or have the option to host such a thing on your site then ur stuffed.

oh i'd just like to say, i (now) hate PHP, its a messy hybrid of a language (PERL) which i've never understood the widespreed use of as i do belive it to encorage small rodent like behaviour in its users and C......... C itself is a high level language with all the flexibility and power of assembly, with added compiler headache.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information