Thread: BlueYonder modem prob or my 3com router?

Thanks

Question BlueYonder modem prob or my 3com router?

Calling all BlueYonder users! I'm on the 1mb service and have a 3com OfficeConnect 11b wireless gateway router (use the wireless bit via laptop) and an 8port OfficeConnect hub uplinked, which has been working fine for 6+ months.

For the last week or so, something has been playing up. Basically, every now and again, none of my PCs (3 XP, 1 W2K) can access the Net. They find it hard to ping each other, lots of lost packets, and I can't even get to the routers admin web page (http://192.168.1.1). And I see the collision detection light flash a lot on the 8 port hub, but dunno what's up with that.

This can happen several times a day. Not sure if the router isn't renewing the lease perhaps? I have to unplug the power and 'reboot' to get things working again, but it's not long until it screws up. Just restarting the 8port hub doesn't help things.

Seeing as I couldn't even get to the router admin page, I figured it was the router that's stuffed so have ordered a Buffalo 54mbps wireless dsl router... but now I'm worried it'll turn out to be the modem (BY supplied Motorola SurfBoard, at least 1yr old).

Guess I can plug the modem directly into 1 PC for a day and see if that's OK, no? That should tell me if the modem is stuffed or not.

Any ideas? Have I done the right thing?! Guess I'll find out when the Buffalo router arrives hopefully this week!

Aha, and I noticed a problem with the cable tv last night - won't show any channels, thinks I'm not subscribed. Can TV have an effect on the Net connection??

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you're having problems on the internal network, I'd been scanning all the machines for virus's...

Thanks
    Hmmm didn't think of that. All boxes have Symmantec Anti Virus 8.? and does a full check once a week - hadn't caught anything last time I looked.
    The router has a fairly decent firewall, although if it's ill maybe the firewall is down. Guess I could install a Trojan scanner too.

Thanks
    When you start having problems, try disconnecting the modem to see if the problem continues.

You should also remember that a hub is also known as a repeater - information recieved at port 1 is bounced out to every port. Load up all 8 ports and start some big file transfers off and you'll have some fun.....

Thanks
    Originally posted by Jiff Lemon
    When you start having problems, try disconnecting the modem to see if the problem continues.
    So that will show if the internal network still works OK, right? The PCs should still be able to talk to each other, just won't be able to see the Net.

Thanks
    Exactly - If you disconnect the modem and the problem continues, you've an internal problem. The pcs would simply lose their net access.

Thanks
    Cheers Jiff. Will try and give that a go tonight.

The Buffalo router has been shipped, so hopefully will arrive tomorrow. Wonder if 11g 54mbps (really 22, right?) will be fast enough to stream movies from PC to laptop plugged into the telly... 11b sure isn't.

Thanks
    Is your Motorola cable modem booting correctly?

ie all the lights coming on as normal during boot up?

also with blueyonder the cable tv and internet are linked and as you cant get no channels, a cable tv wire way have become disconnected somewhere in and around your house?

m0.

EDIT: You may be able to see the cable modems internal page by going to http://192.168.100.1 and checking the logs

Thread Information