Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netgear router problems

Thanks

Netgear router problems

I have a rp614 router from Netgear and its been fine until a few weeks ago. We suffer connection loss all the time and have to keep restarting the router. I've tried upgrading the firmware but it still happens.

It seems to be a known problem but I havent found a fix for it short of buying a new router. Does anyone know how to fix the problem?

Thanks
    Does anyone on the network open loads of connections at the same time (eMule can do up to a couple of thousand connections in the space of a minute, causing a lot of routers to fall over). Maybe give P2P a miss for a week and see if it still does it?

And I think Netgear products have a 5 year/lifetime warranty? Not too sure though.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I had a problem like that with my old netgear router, and in the end it was down to my netgear NIC, i kept using the XP drivers which seamed to work for a while but when I was using emule it would kill my router. After firmware updates and messing around still didnt work how it should............I then found some newer drivers for my NIC and then all my problems went away.

Thanks
    I've laid of p2p for a while and it still happened but I bet my housemates ignored my request so I may block them and see what happens

I've not changed anything on the system so I would be surprised if its the drivers but I may try it

Thanks
    I've got the Netgear DG814 router and seem to have the same problem where the net stops working although the rooter thinks it's still connected, only way to fix it as you said was to re-start the router.

Tried the new firmware to no avail. Dam annoying problem.
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Registered+
    Thanks
    thats the same router i had with those problems and mine was sorted with a new driver for my network card in my pc. It was down to me using MS XP drivers instead of the latest drivers made by the NIC company

Thanks
    maver1ck
    You talking to me or Gordy?
    Main Rig: LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D | AMD Opteron 165@2.65Ghz | 2GB TwinMoss DDR PC3200 | GeForce 8800GT 512MB | 2*500GB Seagate 7200.10 | Antec P182 case
    Shuttle Rig: Shuttle SN41G2B | Sempron 2200+ | 1GB NANYA DDR PC3200 | ATi Radeon 9600 128MB | 2*320GB Seagate 7200.8
    HTPC: Abit Abit AN-M2HD | Athlon X2 BE-2400 | 2GB Corsair DDR2 PC2-5300 | 500GB Seagate 7200.11 | Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT | Antec Fusion Black HTPC Case

Furton.NET Coming soon!

Registered+
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Furton
    You talking to me or Gordy?
    oops sorry, i was talking to you!

Thanks
    The problem is with the router its self if Netgear is anything to go buy. It seems to have a slight issue when a lot of connections are opened at once. The router starts opening it but then craps out and gives up the ghost.

Maybe any idea to check out with Netgear
    Problem

Intermittent Cable/DSL Connection Using a Router

Solutions
    These are the primary reasons for intermittent router Internet connectivity:

1) The firmware needs upgrading.

Upgrade the firmware. MAKE SURE to read the instructions and warnings. Be especially cautious upgrading to "beta" firmware, since NETGEAR does not give customer support for it.
    2) Anti-virus or other firewall programs are contending with the NETGEAR firewall. This is particularly a problem with Windows XP, which in some cases automatically starts a firewall.

Remove or disable the non-NETGEAR software.
    3) If the connection stays off, it may be that your ISP is terminating the connection when renegotiating DHCP.

Contact your ISP about their policies.
    4) Problems with dynamic IP address.

Set the IP to static. However, it may be difficult and expensive to do this. Some ISPs want to give static IPs only to businesses.
    Less likely possibilities:

5) Idle time needs to be set to 0.

6) You have changed MTU size from the default.

Set the MTU back to the default value. The value depends on which router and firmware you use: it may be 1458, 1492, or 1500.
    Doc ID: N100772.asp
    Thats all I can find at the moment in the Netgear knowledge base. Maybe try reverting to a previous version of the firmware say 1 or 2 revisions back to see if its a problem with the latest firmware
    Signature in development ... please be patient

Thanks
    I've given up on it and I've ordered a dlink router, clearly there is a problem with the netgear routers

Thanks
    Well the dlink router arrived today and I had a few teething problems but its up and running now and I think its stable but time will tell.

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Hmm ive got a new DG814 and get intermeittent connection drops and also the net just stops working somtimes

I aint sure if its virgin.net (everyone has problems) of netgear router (lots have problems and lots dont).

Hrrmph. Pity HP don't do adsl routers

Butuz

Registered+
    Thanks
    I have a DG814 and seem to be one of the lucky ones so far as I havent had any problems at all and ive had it for 7 months

Registered+
    Thanks
    well my new netgear wgt624 is doing the same thing, ive just changed my MTU size to what BT has told me what it should be, will just have to wait and see if my router falls over!

Thanks

Re: Netgear router problems

Hi
    Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place - but I am new to this:

I have a Netgear WPN824 Router.
    Whenever I use laptops to connect, the network drops out altogether. I am not very technical and have no idea what to look for or what to alter.
    Can anyone at all help me or suggest anything please?

many thanks

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Netgear router problems

Quote Originally Posted by fib6 View Post
    Hi
    Please forgive me if I am posting in the wrong place - but I am new to this:

I have a Netgear WPN824 Router.
    Whenever I use laptops to connect, the network drops out altogether. I am not very technical and have no idea what to look for or what to alter.
    Can anyone at all help me or suggest anything please?

many thanks
    Do any other devices connect via wireless ok?
    Is the device stable when connected via ethernet only?

You might want to try changing your wireless channel as a quick easy fix... or in alot of cases with netgear routers, disable any UPNP services on the router itself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information