Thread: Port forwarding

Thanks

Port forwarding

Okay I have been trying for a long time to get port 6112 forwarded to my computer so I can host maps for Warcraft III. I have read almost everything I could find and am still having problems. I am pretty sure I got the static IP set good and I have my modem on 192.168.0.1 my router is on 192.168.1.1 and my comp is 192.168.1.111 I believe i have the forward from the router to the computer set up correctly and I think where I am having the problem is with the modem to the router. I am doing this under 'port mapping' which im pretty sure is right since its the only thing close I can find. it looks like:

Add Port Mapping Entry
    Internal IP Address: 192.168.1.111
    Internal Port: 6112
    External Port: 6112
    Protocol: TCP

I have tried replacing the .1.111 with .1.1 because I wasn't sure if I had to forward it to the router or to the computer but neither work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

from canyouseeme.org:
    Error: I could not see your service on <IP ADDRESS> on port (6112)
    Reason: Connection timed out
    Last edited by yuthra253; 02-12-2005 at 01:28 AM.

Thanks
    www.portforward.com

If that doesn't solve your problem, it probably can't be solved ;P

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    Both your modem and router have a NAT firewall?

What modem and router do you have?

I dont know what a NAT firewall is, sorry I'm really terrible with networking stuff. My router is the D-link DI-524 and my modem brand is arescom. Thanks

EDIT:
    i have already read through everything i thought might help at portforward but no place even talks about them, explains how to initiate the forwarding on my actual modem, just how to do it on my router.
    Last edited by yuthra253; 02-12-2005 at 03:48 AM.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    Quote Originally Posted by yuthra253
    i have already read through everything i thought might help at portforward but no place even talks about them, explains how to initiate the forwarding on my actual modem, just how to do it on my router.
    There is no port forwarding on a modem, it has a one-to-one relationship with either a computer or a router, so implicitly everything goes to the partner device.

The router is the place where it would need to know which computer on the internal network to forward traffic on specific ports to.

The port forwarding rule you describe looks correct (TCP, external port 6112 -> internal port 6112, IP address of internal client).

Are you running any firewall on the client?
    Is it possible to test if Warcraft 3 multiplayer games work on your LAN? (Or does it only support Internet games?)
    This would let you know if it is the client machine or the router with the problem.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    There is no port forwarding on a modem, it has a one-to-one relationship with either a computer or a router, so implicitly everything goes to the partner device.

If I don't set port mapping on my modem for the port when I test the port on canyouseeme.org it says connection refused.

Are you running any firewall on the client?

no nothing at all, not even windows firewall.

Is it possible to test if Warcraft 3 multiplayer games work on your LAN? (Or does it only support Internet games?)

The thing is I can play the game normally online fine but I can't host maps on it.

thanks for the help so far everyone!!

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber
    From a quick search on Arescom modems and port forwarding, it seems this modem may have a firewall built in... I am wondering if it is UPnP configured to allow servers when connected directly to a (Windows) PC, but a router wouldn't forward UPnP traffic...

If the modem was provided by the ISP I would recommend contacting them for advice - they might only support configurations without routers though (this is common).

It could turn out easier to bite the bullet and get a broadband router with built-in DSL modem & 4-port switch, they aren't expensive these days.
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    Yeah the tech from our ISP is supposed to be helping me sometime. I had it working once but then had to change it so i could get my xbox to work on xbox live so i know its possible, just cant figure out how it was set up before. Well thanks for the help guys hopefully he will be able to get it working!

Thread Information