Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipex connection dropping

Registered+
    Thanks

Pipex connection dropping

Anyone having any problems with pipex broadband?

My connection seems to drop every couple of days, from an hour to up to 10 hours before it reconnects.

The router cycles through exchange > activation > training > showtime constantly untill it eventually reconnects.

Pipex support claim they have no reports of any network problems. Any ideas?

Thanks

Thanks
    I use pipex and ive had no problems what so ever, been on it for bout 6 - 7 hours last night and a couple of hours this morning (not to mention just about every night this week ) and no drops what so ever.

contact BT and see if there are any problems with your line?
    Quote Originally Posted by Noni
    What the hell does "WTH" mean

Registered+
    Thanks
    Cheers.. I know I am quite far from the exchange (have a 2mb connection but only connects at about 1.2 mb) - but I didn't think that could cause the connection to drop.

I'll see what BT suggest..

Thanks
    yea that shouldnt have any effect on the line dropping at all, I have to say though beening with Pipex for over 2 years now my line has only ever dropped onces and i am still unsure to this date weather it was my router or them they are a very reliable company so i wouldnt have said it would be anything on their side.

Would normally be something to do with the phone line either at just your end or around the whole of that area, Have you talked to anyone who lives close by to see if they are having the same problem?

Thanks
    maybe its your router? download latest firmware or something?

Thanks
    • DeathByDuke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte 970A-DS3P AM3+ AMD SB910/950 Chipset
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-8320 8 Core "Vishera" Core Socket AM3+ CPU
      • Memory:
      • Corsair TWINX 8Gb DDR3-800 (2X 4Gb) CAS6
      • Storage:
      • 1x EVO 840 120Gb, 2x Samsung 1Tb, 1x Seagate 2Tb, 1x Samsung 750Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSi AMD Radeon R9 270 2Gb
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 680W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata 3
      • Operating System:
      • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2 Unlimited
    i had these problems with pipex for two years. It wasnt until we finally convinced BT we had a fault (crosstalk) did they send someone out to test. They rewired our line. Been a LOT more stable since. We used to have hours outages, and I have the line on 24/7. Now its the odd modem losing the ADSL signal but not dropping the connection. Only happens once every couple of days now. Barely noticeable, i sometimes time out from IRC, but other than that,
    fine. BT said that if they dont find a fault theyd charge us. They never said if they did. And we never got billed. Sounds like BT had a fault... hehe.

Thanks
    wat kinda speed do u get with pipex thinking bout changing to them im 1.6km from bt thing and that straight line distance so wat speed cud i expect to get
    EVE - Online ( TiMeZeRo225, Proper Emo, Facter )
    World of Warcraft:
    Eu:The Shattar ( TiMeZeRo )
    Eu:Shattered halls (Pakapunch, Sigari, Eitu)
    CS:S - TiMeZeRo

Thanks
    although ive had my line for years I never done a speed check, Can tell you that its always damn fast for where i am (also not sure about distances and all that pap)

If I was to advise anyone on an ISP i'd always go for Pipex mate top class all the time

Thanks
    • DeathByDuke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 680W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata 3
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2414H
      • Internet:
    My modem is set at 2mbit, Im 2.2km away.

Im on their solo 1000 (1mbit) it worked at 2mbit during the regrades last year til pipex stamped down and limited me (for getting more than paying for), and was nice speeds.

BUT speeds have gone real bad for me now, BT have put too many onto one pipe. waaay too much contention. Im lucky to get 120kbit/sec at night. (it was ok having 100 people to 162Mbit lines when 1Mbit was standard, that shared 1.62mbit per line but now its not enough if most of those are 2Mbit users. everyone suffers.)

Hopefully the new 8Mbit rollout will make BT put people on fatter pipes to even the load. anyone can get 2Mbit upto 3.5km. you can get upto 7Mbit at 500 meters, and 4.5Mbit and below after 3km (regarding the new MaxDSL). It all depends on how good your phone line is. Ours was bad until BT had to rewire it totally. Then of course how many people in your area use ADSL.

Pipex arent OK. They have some poor routing to european links, specially sweden, causing bad performance than expected. (thats my experience though) And, line faults cant be fixed by them, especially since their hands are tied regarding our line since its down to BT to fix it. You do get a nice amount of email addresses, and a easy to use setup system for doing the addresses, and their email service is really good. Speed wise for me it isnt 'par' or above par most of the time because of that heavy contention. Again, thats my own experiences it could be different for you. Id weigh it up on customer service, price, features and reputation. Pipex are are fine if youre not a heavy web user, and just do emails a lot. Gaming pings are low too, which is also nice. Customer service isnt best but it isnt the worst. Im actually going to switch to Zen in the next month or two. Zen are more 'on the ball' and will pull out the stops to get things done. They respond quite quick, and have got problems my friends have had sorted within the first 30 mins of the call. They also dont get put on hold or have the music. Nor is it indian. Only snag is they are more expensive. You pay for the best I suppose. Thankfully the ISPs are setting up their own lines and equipment seperate from BT in the exchanges, so things should look up in the future, and prices down.

Thanks
    • DeathByDuke's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake 680W
      • Case:
      • Antec Sonata 3
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2414H
      • Internet:
    Quote Originally Posted by TiMeZeRo
    wat kinda speed do u get with pipex thinking bout changing to them im 1.6km from bt thing and that straight line distance so wat speed cud i expect to get
    it depends what speed you can afford really. can be 2-6Mbit, 7.5 if youre 300 meters away. (noone will ever get 8Mbit, its theoretical max)

Thanks
    Pipex Customer service is poor imo.

I have been with them 6 years and its only got worse (as with all things ). I used to swear by them but since they screwed me over by charging me £33.99 and keeping me on the solo service when I should have been on PipexMax ...

I'd advise on Nildram or Zen.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Dont Pipex own Nildram?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info everyone.. I'm moving house soon so i'll put up with them for a bit longer, but then I think i'm going to change to eclipse. Was with them for 2 years before pipex and they were excellent.

bored out of my tiny mind malfunction's Avatar
    Thanks
    • malfunction's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G1.Sniper (with daft heatsinks and annoying Killer NIC)
      • CPU:
      • Xeon X5670 (6 core LGA 1366) @ 4.4GHz
      • Memory:
      • 48GB DDR3 1600 (6 * 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • 1TB 840 Evo + 1TB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 290X
      • PSU:
      • Antec True Power New 750W
      • Case:
      • Cooltek W2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H
    I've have a similar line speed because of a long line - with BT for ADSL - I've been getting LOADS of connection drops ALL the time at the moment. Can't get through to anyone in BT with enough of a brain to help ("What we're going to do now sir is something called power cycling"... "Oh no we're not"). Wondering if they've been mucking around at the exchange as my land line is a LOT quieter than it used to be (low volume I mean). Think I will have to complain about voice quality and see if as a side effect the ADSL gets better (probably not as if they can "turn it up to 11" I imagine it will be noisy...)

Thanks
    Dont Pipex own Nildram?
    Yep, but Nildram still retain control over their services as such. As a result they are much better.

Thanks
    Anyone experiancing problems with their new traffic monitoring, mainly unencrypted P2P traffic capped at 20Kbps? I was experiancing similar problems with Shoutcast streams (usually have 2-3 190kbps streams running on an evening)

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/postlist...t=&Board=pipex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information