Thread: freeview coax and crimp or screw plugs and cat6 questions

Thanks

freeview coax and crimp or screw plugs and cat6 questions

ok ive sorted my cat 6 i assume its ok to run a few of these side by side but not zip tied tight togetheretc
    what i want to know what is the best type of shielded or double shielded cable for the tv signals so nothing interferes with the cat 6 or the freeview as at the moment im using those crappy fly leads u get from b an q and they are murder far too long for what i need and too thin to look as if there any good and i know there not shielded

some links to high quality cable shielded ofcourse and the crimp or screw on connectors to plug into normal tv inputs ,

cheers lads !

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    zip tying the network cables together won't make any practical, real world difference.

I have a roll of TV/Cable coax i bought in B&Q. looking at it, the outer braid doesn't look that thick. Have a look at CPC, there are loads of cables with much thicker outer braids. I don't know it you'll need shielding though, it's mainly power cables that cause bad interference.

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...comSearch=true

Thanks
    In my experience it is only power cables that will cause you any problems. If you have to run your network cables over power cables then do so at 90 degrees to each other to minimise any interference but as a general rule keep network cables at least 6 inches away from power cables..
    For sat/tv/freeview RG6 is what you need as a minimum or use CT100 if you're feeling flush. There are plenty of suppliers selling this stuff so search on the net and pick the one that meets your requiements. If you are having problems with your freeview signal you may find it helpful to use shielded coax wall sockets rather than the usual crappy ones that are installed as standard.
    I've experimented with using standard coax connectors and f-type connectors and don't see any difference in picture quality, only difference is it's almost impossible for an f-type connector to come loose from it's socket.

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    RG6, thats what i was trying to remember!

F-type plugs are great, you know you have a decent connection with them compaired to the standard push fit plugs

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks
    mixing network with power tends to be fine. As the specification was designed to not get too much interance from 60hz~< Enless your going great distance, with really really unsheilded not very well twisted pair, it should be ok. But where possible, keep em appart.

If you want a demo of this, take your longest patch lead, and wrap it round the power lead to a fan heater (or something that takes a lot of W) and then run lots of network traffic over it, look for packet loss. You'll see none.

LVD Low Voltage Differential, this is why you have twisted pairs, and why ATA-133 had to die (because it didn't have it). The idea is one pair carries a +ve, whilst another carries a -ve. The idea is that the two cancel each other out in terms of RF noise. (okay thats a simple way of looking at it, but its an *okay* way). as such its VITAL that you wire in pairs as instructed, because if you look at Cat5/5e/6 you see how each colour pair are wraped around each other. Thats why.

So as for the question, yes don't worry about zip tieing em, buy good coax, really buy some good stuff, the network will be fine, but the coax is very sensative to interfenece but also signal loss. Put a booster, if possible, in the loft, or as near the ariel as possible.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    a spank you all again ! im gonna try get that ct100 if i can find it cheap enough and normal plugs to suit my tv's and tv cards isnt it the same stuff telewest ive heard there cabling is top notch i may have to have a word in the shell likes if i can spot on of em

might even be coax on the school im working on sure they wont miss 30 or 40 meters !

cheers again peoples more tips are always welcome though !

Thanks

Thanks
    and if thats the best sort of gear whats the best connection method ive got one of those sheath strippers so thats sorted but need the best form of connection bearing in mind its all normal inputs on the tuners not those threaded f type ones unfortunately

Thanks
    anyone ?

Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    well i don't realy know a lot about coax cable, looks good stuff though. You are probably best just putting regular push on connectors. Are you using face plates? I would guess that the standard ones from the likes of B&Q would be fine. The weakest part of the whole setup is usually the cable, but you seem to have that covered

Thanks
    lol ive been waitin on a reply an just ordered a drum of it a couple of mins ago it seems i should be using shielded cable for digital viewing so this double shilded stuff should do the business

wont be using wall plates at the moment just first testing myself on the networking and doing this stuff

Thanks
    RG6 cable should be avoided for digital data - use CT100 or WF100 instead. See here for more details.

Thanks
    the stuff i bought was ht109 which is supposed to be as close as possible to ct100 specs andits the foam insulation version

and the seller says this .....

check this out

http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page8.htm

you should see half way down the page the differences between the 2 cables. However I have found H109/CO10R to be a more robust cable due to the dielectric being foam based and not air spaced. All signal losses, interference, & cross talk are that of CT100.

Thread Information