Thread: Random Disconnects

Thanks

Question Random Disconnects

I keep getting random disconnects with my router (DSL-504) where it just drops the connection and won't reconnect until it is turned off and back on again. Its now got to the stage where it will no longer reconnect which is worrying I've had to re-install the old Alcatel Frog for the meantime leaving me with only the one pc online. I haven't tried updating firmware (Trying to leave it as a last alternative TBH), but I have tried resetting it to factory settings, re-entering username/password and just about everything I can think of. I have sent a technical support enquiry to D-Link, but in the mean time has anybody got any ideas???

Thanks
    Check all the cabling to make sure there is a good physical connection, also try disconnecting all other devices (phones) on that line and see if that makes a difference. They're the easiest things to check.

When the connection is dropped, does the router still respond, or is there evidence that part of it has crashed?
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    I take it that given the right settings (which you know are right due to the earlier intermittent fault) it can conenct itself without any intervention from a PC and will indicate syncronisation status with the exchange with an led?

Sounds pretty cut and dry. Dead router. Not saying there is anything wrong with the frog (I use one) but its never going to outperform a DLink for stability on an iffy BT line, so that only really leaves that 1 thing - assuming you havent any wierd settings since your rest switch bashing

Thanks
    My 1st DSL-504 router done this a couple of times but I had to RMA it anyways due to being supplied with a European model instaed of a UK model.

My replacement unit I have had for a few days and it has done it ONCE right at the start but this might be due to me not sitting it in a warm room for an hour before using it - it had been sat outside in the cold for a couple of hours so condensation may have been an issue.....

Seems ok now tho.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    Have checked the cabling (Swapped for a different filter, unplugged, replugged etc) to no avail. An LED does light up to say it has connected, but going into the Router menu (192.168.0.1) it shows that its disconnected. No matter how many times I try it wont budge. I think I'm going to go for a firmware update as my last resort before RMA'ing then

Thanks
    It could be a software problem, in which case firmware update might sort it. It could also be a hardware issue where the firmware is unable to interface with the WAN hardware correctly.

The thing is, I doubt the thing would boot properly if that was the case.

Still, an RMA looks to be on the cards if this firmware flash doesn't work.

I had a dodgy router that, when I flashed the firmware, killed it off completely - so just be on the lookout! At least you already have another means of connecting to the net.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    WHat error do you get in the connection box of the router ?? Its the 3rd one down of the "grayed" out boxes of the Multiple PVC screen.

Trry changing to VcMux and CHAP authentication in the same screen.

Fun Not Frags - www.gsvgaming.net

Thanks
    If its in sinc with the exchange, but wont let the PC surf.... you have tested it plugging another PC in? You can ping the router?

If it currently cant conenct, it could be a different issue to the previous random disconenct. You sure you have reset the necessary settings back up ok since doing the reset?

Kinda need an error message of some discription. This is the sort of time where you sort out the decent routers from the chaff.

Thanks
    WTF??? It's connected!!!
    One day it shows no intention of connecting, the next day, it works fine
    There was no error message in the box, thats why it was so annoying. It just showed 'Connecting', then 5 seconds later 'Disconnect'.
    Still, leave it a few days and I bet it will be back

Thread Information