• PSU:
      • Mesh
      • Case:
      • Mesh MatriX
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" DVi LCD 6ms
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbit Blueyonder/Telewest now Virgin
    Ok, the adsl line is on permanently, but with an adsl router, you can have it set to permanently connected like a cable broadband.

With the adsl routers though, you can have it log out, ie no internet access.

This is default on most of these, to auto log out, or you can set it to stay and auto reconect if connection lost. you can also have it logout when there is no activity, these features are DEFAULT, has most average users would not want to leave there pc connected permantly to the net, although they would probably still want to use there pc, knowing there safe from intrusion.

taken from netgear website on 1 adsl router, i have a link for any disbelievers.

"Routers have a default timeout of 5 minutes, after which the connection is renegociated upon demand. There may be a delay, or the connection may drop. The value can be set higher, or to 0, meaning the router never logs out. Consult your manuals for instructions."

Hope this helps, and to make a connection with adsl isp modem or adsl router, it still dials 0 (zero) to connect.

I am just stating, adsl is over a telephone line, and still dials digitally a zero to connect.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ukengineer View Post
    Ok, the adsl line is on permanently, but with an adsl router, you can have it set to permanently connected like a cable broadband.

With the adsl routers though, you can have it log out, ie no internet access.

This is default on most of these, to auto log out, or you can set it to stay and auto reconect if connection lost. you can also have it logout when there is no activity, these features are DEFAULT, has most average users would not want to leave there pc connected permantly to the net, although they would probably still want to use there pc, knowing there safe from intrusion.

taken from netgear website on 1 adsl router, i have a link for any disbelievers.

"Routers have a default timeout of 5 minutes, after which the connection is renegociated upon demand. There may be a delay, or the connection may drop. The value can be set higher, or to 0, meaning the router never logs out. Consult your manuals for instructions."

Hope this helps, and to make a connection with adsl isp modem or adsl router, it still dials 0 (zero) to connect.

I am just stating, adsl is over a telephone line, and still dials digitally a zero to connect.
    The ADSL signal is permanently present on the telephone line - there is no dialling involved at all - dialling is purely a switched circuit function. With a standalone router (ie, not a USB device) the router can (and should remain permanently connected, and it will remain authenticated with the ISP (My own modem/router had a connection time of over 1000 hours before I rebooted it after a config change the other day) Most stand alone modem/routers do not time out - there is no advantage in doing so. A USB modem will drop the connection when the host PC is powered down (for obvious reasons!) and when it reconnects it may say 'dialling' but the term is a misnomer.

The establishemnt of an ADSL connection is a two stage process. The modem syncs with the DSLAM at the exchange to establish a physical circuit. Once that has been done, the modem then authenticates with BT's RADIUS server (via BT's network), which identifies the ISP and the logon credentials. The authentication is then passed to the ISP and the logical connection is made to the ISP and hence to the internet. (That is a somewhat simplified version of events)

The point is that unlike 'real' dial up, there is no physical path to the ISP, and no dialling involved!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information