Thread: Disconnections and slowdown on only one PC

Registered+
    Thanks

Disconnections and slowdown on only one PC

Hi everyone. My friend's been having problems with an unstable internet connection on his PC for a while now; any suggestions I've made haven't helped, so I proposed posting on hexus... Surely someone here will be able to help though!

His description is as follows:

"The main problems experienced are
    • Disconnections when playing games almost as soon as i log in
    • If the internet is up, then loading pictures or streaming videos is painfully slow
    • Frequent loss of internet connection on the router
    "

He states that he has another older PC on the same line. This computer's internet connection remains perfect until his new PC is connects, when the then affects both PCs.

"I currently have 4 network cards on the PC, one of which is wireless and the others are ethernet. The 3 ethernet wired network cards all experience these problems.

"It is worth mentioning that the internet has been stable in the past for times of up to 30 minutes, where i have been able to play World of Warcraft, for example, without any problems.

"If anyone has any ideas on what problem is then please let me know, i'd really like to get this problem sorted as soon as possible. If further details are needed to identify what is causing the problem such as the router model/make and system specifictions then let me know.

Thanks in advance

Ali"

Hope you guys can help out.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Before we go any further has he tried a new cable and a different port on the router?

Are all 4 cards currently in the PC? - this probably isn't helping matters and maybe a power supply issue...

What make are the NIC's? - 3com cards are usually regarded as industry standard and best for gaming...

Thanks
    • dave87's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • i5 3470k under Corsair H80 WC
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 240gb SSD + 120gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus HD7950
      • PSU:
      • XFX 600w Modular
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A05FNB + Acoustipack
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x Dell S2309W (1920x1080)
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Option 2
    If hes got multiple NICs it could be a config issue - I would suggest unless he really needs all 4, to remove them (down to 1/2 whatever he needs).

Other thing is make sure that he's not using ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) as that may be altering the settings.

Otherwise try going to run and typing "ipconfig /flushdns" and see if it improves it

honed at getting pwned
    Thanks
    Another thing to do is a malware/spyware search as some IP loggers badly attach themselves to the low level network drivers causing all kinds of problems.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Sorry for not replying sooner - been away on holiday.

An update: He took out his network cards, and says that it's now not as slow on streaming or loading pictures. However, he says that it still disconnects sometimes.

He also explained that the PC is still relatively slow in loading web sites, and that he can play World of Warcraft for a while, but it will still eventually disconnect.

Thanks for your help so far; there's obviously been significant improvement, but any other suggestions would be valuable to try and resolve the remaining problems.

EDIT: He's also added that he scanned his pc before for viruses/spyware and didnt find anything, but he still had the problems at that time.
    Last edited by bullfrog_173; 03-01-2007 at 12:22 AM.

Thread Information