• Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Post-Natal Depression

Wanted to share something that happened to me late last year, as it's not something a lot of dad's talk about, or at least not that I've really been able to find mentioned.

Post-Natal Depression

You might think that I'm going to talk about my partner's experiences with it, but this isn't the story, this is about what happened to me.

When our little one was born, my partner and I wanted to try and do things right, split the child care duties so that whilst I was back at work, I'd come home, and give her a break and a chance for some me time. Seemed managable at first, we'd switch over around 1am, I'd sleep for about 5-6 hours and go to work. My partner would nap during the day when he slept, and also sleep from about 7pm till 1am, so we'd both be getting about the same amount of sleep.

It worked pretty well to start with, helped by a child who fairly quickly got used to the idea of sleeping when the lights were out, and only asking for 2 feeds during the night.

Then one evening, I don't quite know what happened, but he was crying and crying and I couldn't get him to stop and something snapped. I screamed, full volume at the poor little man, and for just a split second, thought about hurling him across the room. It was the most terrifying moment of my life.

We all think that we're supposed to be able to cope with it all, the plan seemed logically solid after all, we'd both get sleep, and 6 hours a night isn't that different from what you get if you're up gaming or watching videos.

What I hadn't realised is that I was actually starting to suffer from post-natal depression since he'd come home, that whilst my rational mind was all focused on the practical, I hadn't really processed that actually, I was a dad, this was my child, who lived and died by what I did for him.

The first thing I did in the morning was went straight to the Dr's, talked to them and asked for help, which obviously meant anti-depressants and a referal to social services. I'll admit, that the mediciation did help, because it helped stabilise the turmoil I was feeling, how much I hated myself for feeling the way that I did, even though it was just that one moment. The worst part came though when I started to realise that I resented my little boy for existing, that every time he looked at me, I felt he was so sad for having such a waste of space for a father. Took me a while to realise that actually, he was mirroring my expressions, that I was sad, so he was copying me without really understanding what it meant.

From there, I managed to eventually get help, though given the beleagued state of the mental health systems in this country, that took some fighting. Not helped by social services initially imposing a restriction that I shouldn't be left alone with him, which put a lot of pressure on my partner and her support network, and then them loosing the paperwork so that when I started to get over the initial black period, I still couldn't get back into a routine.

I suppose the main reason for writing this all down, nearly 9 months after it happened, is so that other dads realise that, these things do happen, not everyone is a perfect parent no matter how much they look like they've got their rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbish together.

Men in general, and Dad's in particular, need to remember that in the end, we have to accept that we feel things, and even if they're bad feelings, if we don't talk about them from time to time, then you explode.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

2. Received thanks from:

Biscuit (11-08-2017),CAT-THE-FIFTH (11-08-2017),DanceswithUnix (08-08-2017),Dashers (08-08-2017),Disturbedguy (08-08-2017),g8ina (08-08-2017),hb904460 (29-09-2017),jim (08-08-2017),jimbouk (08-08-2017),kalniel (08-08-2017),neonplanet40 (12-08-2017),Noxvayl (11-08-2017),Rob_B (08-08-2017),Smudger (08-08-2017),Ttaskmaster (08-08-2017),UseItNow (21-08-2017),wazzickle (08-08-2017),Zak33 (11-08-2017)

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Post-Natal Depression

Thank you so much for sharing Lucio, it's hugely brave of you. I got so far as drafting my own mental health story.. but wasn't brave enough to hit 'post'. Kudos.

4. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017),Noxvayl (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    • g8ina's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z75 Pro3
      • CPU:
      • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 3.40 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair 1600MHz DDR3.
      • Storage:
      • 250GB SSD system, 250GB SSD Data + 2TB data, + 8TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD 6870
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100MB unlimited

Well said, and thank you for posting. I also had that feeling, just once, with our first son. That was 35+ years ago, and there was no support as such, just my missus, who was amazing (at that time).

I just hope any other Dads out there who may have similar trouble will act as you did.
    Cheers, David

6. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017)

Splash

Thanks for being brave enough to speak up. Mental health is something that a lot of people (I think particularly males, who tend to feel that they should just stiff upper lip their way through things) struggle to speak about.

8. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017),Noxvayl (11-08-2017)

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Being a parent is really, really tough. Even if you're lucky and have a good-as-gold baby, you still need a mountain of patience.

I suspect my wife and I are regularly dipping in and out of depression at 6 months. I can't see how you cannot experience that.

Babies can be infuriating - I don't think there is anything wrong with experiencing that emotion of anger. How you handle anger is important though, obviously you have to be able to restrain yourself from doing any damage.

What I'm finding a real stuggle is switching worlds. I dread going home and having to deal with the intensity of being a dad. At the end of the weekend, I don't want to leave and go back to work. That said, I'm so grateful to be the working partner. I know I wouldn't be able to handle looking after a baby all day every day.

I love my baby to bits, I do absolutely wonder if it was the right decision, and I do absolutely think about how easy life was before. I do absolutely get angry at the crying, and feel tearful at the umpteenth time I've had to walk around the house bouncing in the middle of the night whilst humming random TV themes in a desperate attempt to stop the screaming.

There is also a monumental amount of social and peer-pressure to "do things right". You get publicly judged if you're not breast-feeding, or not following a certain style of parenting. What's even worse is, we know that actually we're following "the book" a lot more than most parents but we just have the audacity to admit it.

I was amazed at how much "face" there is around parenting. It's tough, and it's ok to talk to each other about it and just despair at how impossible things can seem.

Identifying depression can be tricky, it's great that you spotted it and dealt with it. Anti-depressants aren't great, nor a "fix" but they do give you a reprise and your mind a chance to heal itself.

Really sucks about social services - you can understand why people don't approach them.

10. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017)

Thanks

Glad you are on the mend.

Unfortunately depression is an 'unseen condition' that affects everyone to varying degrees, and tends to pass below the radar, until things go pear shape. I remember reading somewhere ago that we all suffer at least two mini breakdowns each year.

More help, understanding and support is is still needed. I glad you realised it for what it was and was able to seek help, even if it was totally adequate.

Wishing you and all your family more happy and stress free times ahead.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

12. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017)

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

I would just chime in to advise that antidepressants do help, even if just short-mid term, and you can always try another one. Don't be afraid to approach your GP if you've been down for, like, a month or more. or less.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

14. Received thanks from:

Lucio (08-08-2017)

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Thinking about this further, I think you should report your doctor for referring you to social services. It seems in the context of what you have said it was an entirely inappropriate way to deal with mental health issues. You did not do anything bad, just had an urge which was controllable. I would consider having the doctor reported as that sort of attitude to mental health is one of the major problems we are facing as a society. Doctors must absolutely be at the forefront of a mature and understanding attitude towards mental health issues.

You could say the social services overreacted too, but they seem to be largely risk adverse bureaucrats, which is more understandable given some of the situations they have to deal with.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by Dashers View Post
    Thinking about this further, I think you should report your doctor for referring you to social services.
    Child safe-guarding rules are incredibly clear, any time there's a *risk* to a child, it must be shared with the multi-disciplinary team. My GP wasn't to know that they'd lose the records twice before coming to a conclusion.

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Still sounds like the ball was dropped somewhere, and should be investigated.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Being a Dad is hard.... v v hard.

good post Lucio, thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

19. Received thanks from:

Lucio (12-08-2017)

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Thanks for sharing... I've been dealing with depression for 3 years now, 2 of which was unknowingly before things fell apart 3 times within 6 months.

So yeah, stiff upper lip nonsense doesn't work and the UK is probably the toughest place to be when dealing with that because of the cultural preference for solitude and privacy.

Would you be OK if we used this thread to talk about our experience with therapy and other methods of dealing with depression, along with sharing our stories as well?

21. Received thanks from:

Lucio (12-08-2017)

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Thank you for sharing. I hope you don't mind me sharing my story. I've seen the other side of it with my wife suffering with our first (3 1/2 now). I ended up taking on all the night work which help my wife recover but it was tough. I've actually found the second child (6 months) tougher (and been closer to depression) - Turns out <6 hours average sleep while still not quite recovered from the first child and holding down a complex day job is not good for you. I've just been diagnosed with high blood pressure probably as a result of the lack of sleep. I've also been incredibly irritable and forgetful (Which is dangerous with a baby/toddler ). I don't think anyone comes through parenthood with no scars no matter how good the child is. I'm just grateful my wife has been generally able to avoid the post-natal depression this time and support me with some of the night stuff recently. The good news (which I have been able to tell myself to get through the last 6 months thanks to the first child) is it only gets easier (both sleep wise and managing everything). Keep fighting it and keep pushing for help though. We had to switch doctors and get community port-natal team involved before we started to get decent help (the right anti-depressant) - in the end we had to pay for counselling which was worth it but expensive. I just wish the government prioritised mental health more - it should be treated like cancer...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    I just wish the government prioritised mental health more - it should be treated like cancer...
    now that's gotta be Truth of the Week hasn't it?

Thank you all for your input, for your honesty, and most of all for your shared support.

Nothing helps more than knowing... it aint just you!

If you haven't replied but understand all this, please don't be shy. Post a reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thread Information