Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New hard disc decisions –

Thanks
    The amount of drives is not that bad, considering that the largest capacity of SCSI HDD at the moment is around 73GB I agree, this is only around 1/3 of the largest ATA/S-ATA drive you can pick up and these drives are quite expensive. I guess I don't understand what kind of storage is required here, since I fail to figure out how any individual would need 200GB of frequently accessed storage.

In terms of performance, 10K and 15K SCSI brings to the table lower access time and superior sustained transfer - together benefits both the transfer of large number of small files and also large files.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    146GB IBM 146Z10 (Daytona) 80Pin SCA LVD 4.7ms 10Krpm 8Mb cache U320 £439.00 £515.83
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

dgr
    Thanks
    i'm going to uni and don't want to take my dvd collection with me - stuff gets lost / stolen at uni. same goes for music.

however i don't want to downgrade the quality, or put them on scratched dvdr/cdrs. so i am just putting everything on hard disc.

thats why i need 200gb
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

dgr
    Thanks
    i have the following available for a price of approx. £55

Controller Card
    Adaptec AHA-2940 UW Pro

CDROM
    Plextor PX-40TSi UltraPlex 40max

Hard Drives

Weston Digital 4.36GB Single-ended Ultra Fast Wide SCSI-3
    Model WDE4360-1807A1

IBM 9.13GB Single-ended Ultra Fast Wide SCSI-3 Interface
    Model DDRS-39130 E182115

with cables.

i know the hdds are small, but the first would be for windows + scratch (lmfao) and the second apps. then i would add another WD hard disc for raid0 on the sata (using sata adaptors).

would i notice the difference using these scsi drives ratehr than my existing drives?

esp the cdrom - would it make much of a difference?

dgr
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    The 2940UW Pro is a pretty solid controller, however, you got to remember that it has only 40MB of bandwidth per channel, so you may come up to a bottleneck, but then again, you may not. I'm surprised that you managed to find a 4.3GB drive at all! I don't even think they make them in the last couple of years or something like that.

Since the WD unit is a 7,200rpm part, so the seek times are not going to be that different from other IDE drives. I'm not sure of the exact spec of the IBM drive as I can't find any information on the site. For the CD-ROMs, I think it is entirely up the speed of the individual drive itself.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

dgr
    Thanks
    thanks,

i know the controllers pretty good, i was just wondering whetehr it was worth spending not much on a scsi set. i don't need it to be that big, as i said, the scsi hdds will be only for esential items (OS, page, apps).

The cd drive is here:

http://www.plextor.be/English/products/px40max.html

given its a 40 speed scsi, will it be faster than my lg 52X ide? esp given its a plextor...

by that i mean just short burst reading, i would imagine the lg to win at reading an entire cd?

dgr

Thanks
    Plextor SCSI drives are just excellent - I'm using the PlexWriter 12/10/32S and the UltraPlex40max also. The UltraPlex40max is not going to faster than a 52x rated IDE drive since a 52x unit is suppose to spin faster and hence have a higher sustained data transfer rate. However, depending the seek mechanics and optical unit properties, the UltraPlex40max (which I know uses very good parts) may be faster in seeks and bursts...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information