Thread: Recording TV and auto TV channel-change in Windows Media Centre

Thanks

Recording TV and auto TV channel-change in Windows Media Centre

Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong section, I couldn't see a software section.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. When I press record on the guide there's a red dot. When I press it again the red dot turns to two red dots with a kind of speed haze between them. What does this mean?

Secondly how do I know where MCE is actually storing my recordings so I can see whata size they are and change folder etc?

Thirdly, is there any way to change channel automatically by selecting a channel in the guide in case I forget to change it myself?!

Many thanks for any help you can offer

Thanks
    red dot means you are recording the program, 'Speed haze' means you are recording the whole series.

Thanks
    • kungpo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T SE
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 @ 3.90 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 6x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1600
      • Storage:
      • 2x WD AAKS 640GB RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 260 GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1000HX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG L1952S
      • Internet:
      • 3MB ADSL
    MCE stores recorded TV in the All Users folder in Videos. I don't think you can change the location unless you have another disk. Vista MCE is slightly different to XP MCE however in terms of file locations (if I remember correctly). Try searching fior the dvr-ms files and you'll find the recorded tv files.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie G View Post
    Hi all. Sorry if this is the wrong section, I couldn't see a software section.

Hopefully someone can help me with this. When I press record on the guide there's a red dot. When I press it again the red dot turns to two red dots with a kind of speed haze between them. What does this mean?

Secondly how do I know where MCE is actually storing my recordings so I can see whata size they are and change folder etc?

Thirdly, is there any way to change channel automatically by selecting a channel in the guide in case I forget to change it myself?!

Many thanks for any help you can offer
    The channel will change itself when the program you want to record starts, so no need to worry about that. It pops up and gives you about 5 secounds to stop it changing, if you do nothing then it changes and records.

Go into settings-> tv-> recording->storage from the media centre menu and it will show you where the recordings are being held. Ideally, you want a second drive to keep them on.

Its not very easy to change the specific recording directory manually, but it can be done with the Tweak MCE PowerToy.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Otherwise its the following:
    Change the RecordPath value in the Registry to point to the new folder:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording = REG_SZ "{system drive}:\insert path"

To make sure your recording list stays up to date in Media Center, edit the Watched Folders key. If the Registry Key does not exist, create it.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media
    Center\Service\Recording\WatchedFolders = REG_MULTI_SZ "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\Recorded TV {system drive}:\insert path"

Close and restart Windows Media Center for changes to take effect.

BTW: The 'Operating systems & applications' subforums is where this thread belongs really.
    Last edited by s_kinton; 24-07-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Thanks
    Thanks for the comments all, appreciated.

s_kinton - I meant that I want it to change channel automatically when I'm not recording a program. Any ideas if MCE will do this?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robbie G View Post
    s_kinton - I meant that I want it to change channel automatically when I'm not recording a program. Any ideas if MCE will do this?
    There might be a program out there, but not far as I am aware.

Thread Information