Thread: Clasic title: 7n400 pro2 doesn't boot

Thanks

Unhappy Clasic title: 7n400 pro2 doesn't boot (update)

Morning everybody. I know this is a classic and you're probably tired of threads like this but here goes mine. Just got the Gigabyte mobo said in the title. I'm upgrading from a 7VAXP (KT400). The main components are: Athlon XP 2400+, 1 GB Geil dragon memory DDR (2 sticks) and Radeon 9800 pro from Crucial. I just plugged the basics and the mobo doesn't boot, no beeps from the speaker, nothing. The fans go on but that's all. I have changed the memory and try to boot with one stick of Crucial, the same. The PSU is a True power 380 from Antec. Do you think the mobo is faulty or should I try something more? Thanks for reading
    Last edited by quimico; 23-01-2004 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Turn it on with JUST the processor in. Does it complain about missing memory/graphics card?

Try taking the CPU out and turning it on - does it beep like hell?

Oh, and is the speaker connected properly, lol.

If it doesn't beep for any of the above situations, it's highly likely something is wrong. Check the power supply too though - just in case. Just because it's proving power doens't mean it's providing decent voltages.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    The speaker should be right, I double checked that and even plugged the other way around just in case. But I'll try taking out everything but the CPU and get back, thanks

Thanks
    Absolutely nothing, even without the cpu, no beep. I think is dead

Thanks
    I would suspect that the mobo is dead as well
    | XP1600-m | ASUS AN78X Deluxe | r9700 pro | 2x512mb pc37000 |

Thanks
    Yeah, I just plugged all I have in my 7VAXP, and it's running without a problem. I'll be RMAing the mobo by monday. Thanks for the input guys

Thanks
    did you try clearing the cmos?

Thanks
    Yes I did, twice. Nothing

Thanks
    Hi again. As said, I got a replacement and everything is running. BUT there is still one problem. I can not make my Geil ram to work. The ram is a GeIL Golden Dragon PC3500 433MHz Dual Channel DDR Kit. this sticks were working in my previous mobo with a KT400 chipset (no sual channel). But in this mobo they don't work in dual channel at all. Individually there is no problem, but as soon as I try to put both (tried all possible combinations) the result is a long beep (memory failure) from the bios. Only way the system boots is with ram in dimms 2 and 4 but when is going to show the Windows xp loading screen it reboots. I'm running an athlon XP 2400 throughbread at 133 FSB. Could it be that the ram really needs in this mobo a FSb of 200 to work? any suggestion will be welcomed. Thanks

iMc
    Thanks
    i remember reading somewhere that the pro2 is actually a step down from the original pro version (which i have). this could mean it doesnt support dual channel. i could of course be very wrong. illl check it out in a bit and report back.

edit: according to the gigabyte website it does support dual channel. in slots 1 & 3.

dual channel only gives you a 3-5% performance boost so dont fret too much if you cant get it working.

if anything i would say that one of the memory modules is faulty. slot 4 btw only supports single sided memory so if you put it in there i doubt it would work anyway.
    Last edited by iMc; 23-01-2004 at 12:23 PM.
    HEXUS|iMc

Thanks
    My two crucial sticks are working now in dual channel so the mobo supports it. For some reason I don't get the ram to work in dual. I'm not sure if I did it yesterday but I will try to put both in dimms 1 and 2. Not dual but if it works better than my 512 Mb of Crucial

Thread Information