Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corsair Modular Power supply cable - and why Americans don't drink tea!

Thanks

Re: Corsair Modular Power supply cable - and why Americans don't drink tea!

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    it's all irrelevant anyway as a reason for the cable construction as they are on the output side of the PSU so:
    a) it's the same all over the world - 12V, 5V, 3.3V etc. not 115V or 230V
    b) they are made in the Far East anyway ...
    Very true. the only problem I have with their cables is that I've broken a sata connector and no easy way to get replacements in the UK from Corsair. The Corsair PSUs use quality components so I like their gear a lot overall the quality is very very good IMHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmage View Post
    what is a toaster?(AC/DC) i was shocked by one sticking the knife(butter knife) in it, while on(don't ask). my was body shaking/vibrating like crazy, luckily for me we have a tiled kitchen so i think that earthed me.

For about 3 seconds i couldn't drop the knife.
    I had my first shock as a little boy 8 - 10 I can't remember exactly, I tried to light a firework night sparkler on our electric fire with bare wire elements sparklers have a steel wire right in the middle

You never forget one like that.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by switchmode View Post
    Sorry BUFF the current flowing through you, is what kills you yes. But the current that flows is dependant on the voltage more volts more current so 230 volts is more likely to kill than 115 volts.
    Thats for the same situation. 50 volts can kill even less but if you are very dry skinned or standing on a rubber mat so you are not grounded it probably won't.

High voltage static electricy dosn't kill because as soon as you touch it its voltage drops to o Volts no power behind it. the charge "static" leaks to earth so no problem.
    its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moogle View Post
    its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power.
    Check your facts thats total rubbish.

I've edited this because some people may be stupid enough to play with electricity READ CAREFULLY DO NOT PLAY WITH ELECTRICITY IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TRAINING FOR WHAT YOU DO ITS AT YOUR OWN RISK ELECTRICITY CAN KILL AND HARM YOU.

The following is in no way to encourage you to touch elctrical circuits or supplys when live.

At 12 volts its even more current for the same power but I would sooner touch a 12 volt car battery than 230, 115, 50 volts but are all dangerous in the wrong situation. At 115v you get less power than 230 as less current flows, you do not get The same current. Do you want to kill people with your limited knowledge ?
    Last edited by switchmode; 06-03-2008 at 03:25 AM.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Check your facts thats total rubbish.

At 12 volts its even more current for the same power but I would sooner touch a 12 volt car battery than 230, 115, 50 volts but are all dangerous in the wrong situation. At 115v you get less power than 230 as less current flows, you do not get The same current. Do you want to kill people with your limited knowledge ?
    Just how will my post cause someone to be electrocuted? I mean what have I said that will lead someone to think it's safe to go and play with 240v or 120v? I think your limited knowledge will get them killed making them think it's safer to play with 115v than 240v right?

I know 12v at the same power will have more current. Thats what I'm on about! How will 240v kill you more than 115v? -> At the same power! It will kill you nevertheless. But 240v still has less current at the same power output, which was the point of my post.
    Last edited by moogle; 06-03-2008 at 02:50 AM.

Thanks

Just how will my post cause someone to be electrocuted? I mean what have I said that will lead someone to think it's safe to go and play with 240v or 120v? I think your limited knowledge will get them killed making them think it's safer to play with 115v than 240v right?

I know 12v at the same power will have more current. Thats what I'm on about! How will 240v kill you more than 115v? -> At the same power! It will kill you nevertheless. But 240v still has less current at the same power output, which was the point of my post.
    I do not expect people to play with electricity you may do, no voltage is safe if you are in the wrong circumstances when i say sooner it is hypothetical not an invitation. As I stated "but are all dangerous" what do you think this means ?

The thing is that you are talking about something you are ignorant about. 240 volts will drive more current into a person than 115 volts FACT its current aproximately 15 ma to kill, it has nothing to do with the amount of electrical power, just the fact that you continue to talk as you do shows you up.
    Last edited by switchmode; 06-03-2008 at 03:02 AM.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

The thing is that you are talking about something you are ignorant about. 240 volts will drive more current into a person than 115 volts FACT its current aproximately 15 ma to kill, it has nothing to do with the amount of electrical power, just the fact that you continue to talk as you do shows you up.
    Yet I've stated it applies for the same power output. Which you are kinda blind if you can't see it. So if I use a step up transformer on a 12v battery to increase the voltage to 240v theoretically at 240v the current will be more than at 120v?

I do not expect people to play with electricity
    You don't do you? But yet you expect that they will play with it because the post

"its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power." - (It's as in referring to 240v)

will kill them? Because you seem to think that will kill them don't you? That limited knowledge that rubbish whatever you want to call it.

Please please please explain to me how that post is rubbish though.
    Last edited by moogle; 06-03-2008 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks

From moogle
    "its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power." This is your DANGEROUS statement moogle not mine.

please try to understand 230 volts is more dangerous than 115 volts.
    Last edited by switchmode; 06-03-2008 at 03:41 AM.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

From moogle
    "its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power." This is your DANGEROUS statement moogle not mine.

please try to understand 230 volts is more dangerous than 115 volts.
    I know I'm just asking where is the rubbish in it? I was saying that at 120v you would need double the amperage to give the same electrical power as 240v would. You just seemed to go personal and start attacking me with claims that my post will kill people and it's rubbish.

Heres how a nice reply would have been.

I agree Moogle but the the point I am trying to portray here is that using V=IR if you have more Voltage, with the Resistance kept constant there will be more Current. Therefore 230v will have more current than 115v.

Switchmode

How nice would that have been.

PS - Seeing as you're being nice now please tell me whats so dangerous about my statement. It's just stating some fact from the P=IV formulae.

Thanks

I know I'm just asking where is the rubbish in it? I was saying that at 120v you would need double the amperage to give the same electrical power as 240v would. You just seemed to go personal and start attacking me with claims that my post will kill people and it's rubbish.
    moogle you stated as fact and I quote you

"its not more likely to kill you than 115 as the current it flows at is half that of 115v to give the same power."

that statement is wrong yes rubbish was a strong word I felt it was fair but I could have put it more diplomatically fair point. what I could have said is:

You have a misconception that 230 Volts is no more likely to lead to a fatal shock than 115 volts.

This is an explanation of why 220/230 volts is more dangerous.

You are talking about power it is not relevant in this case the thing that causes you to die is a small current thats the flow of Milliamps in this case, a higher voltage will provide more milliamps so is more dangerous for the same circumstances (Dampness of the skin what you are touching at the time and all other other factors being equal) approximately twice as many milliamps at 230 compared to 115v will flow. The power transfered is only tiny in both cases and is not the factor to measure here.

The thing I find annoying is that you are defending a point when you do not have a grasp of the problem.

I was sharp and no your statement would probably not lead to someone dieing but it is dangerous none the less and can cause problems I was asking you if you wanted to kill people to wake you up to the posibility that what you were stating may be dangerous. For instance if someone worked on a building site where 115 is used for the very reason its safer may use 220/230 instead if they take your argument as correct.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

alright I give in! Maybe it will get you to go get some sleep at this time
    you see with some nice wording you've redeemed yourself from meanie -> electrician
    all in 1 post

Thanks

alright I give in! Maybe it will get you to go get some sleep at this time
    you see with some nice wording you've redeemed yourself from meanie -> electrician
    all in 1 post

Oh I'm not a meani but my wife bought me some grumpy socks at christmas

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

PS - Seeing as you're being nice now please tell me whats so dangerous about my statement. It's just stating some fact from the P=IV formulae.
    But unforetunately it is the wrong formula! The relevant one (which I did mention in an earlier post is I=V/R so for a given resistance, doubling the voltage will double the current (assuming that the pwer supply impedance is very low - which for a mains supply it is - in theory capable of delivering almost infinite current.

It is complicated by the dynamics of skin resistance and at higher voltrages the body's skin resistance breaks down, increasing the current flow. In practice 10mA across the chest stands a good chance of killing you - usually by stopping the heart, or causing it to go into ventricular fibrillation.

Before anyone mentions neon screwdrivers and mains testers - they have a high value resisror (usually 1Mohm - so the maximum current through the body is limited to less that a 1mA which is quite safe.

The iomportant factor is the energy capabilty of the circuit you are coming into contact with High energy circuits are more dangerous simply because they can supply more current to the connected cct, which if it includes your body is bad news for you.

Quote Originally Posted by BUFF View Post
    it's all irrelevant anyway as a reason for the cable construction as they are on the output side of the PSU so:
    a) it's the same all over the world - 12V, 5V, 3.3V etc. not 115V or 230V
    b) they are made in the Far East anyway ...
    Not entirely irrelevant - as Corsair are an American design - and regardless of the place of mfr, they will define the specs. The output cable (which may not be made in the far east) are still required to carry high current - and they appear to use US mains construction cable. The important thing at low voltages is the current carrying capacity and resistance to minimuise voltage drop - mains cable is ideal gfor this, but again as I explained in the first post, US stranded cables tend to use fewer but thicker strands than we are used to, hence the impression of lower quality.
    Last edited by peterb; 06-03-2008 at 10:25 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information