Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

  1. #1
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    So I'm looking for an external hard drive to buy.

    I need to back up work and music etc (in total around 120Gb) so I can reformat and do a fresh install of Vista with sp1. So it doesn't have to be portable or anything, I just want it to do its job. However I'm not sure if I go with a 500Gb or something smaller. Plus I'm not sure what brand is work getting and if e-sata is worth the extra cost.

    For example:

    500Gb Seagate FreeAgent Desktop 8Mb £68.00

    or

    500GB Western Digital WDH1U5000E My Book2 Essential £73.23

    Both usb only and I found the second one for about £68

    But e-sata:

    320GB Western Digital MyBook2 Home Edition - 3.5" USB 2.0 / FireWire 400 / eSata £68.66

    or


    500Gb Western Digital MyBook2 Office Edition - 3.5 USB 2.0 / eSata
    £86.30

    So I don't know if the extra is worth a faster transfer method.

    Will shop around to see if I can find cheaper.

    Your thoughts?



    Also I have a Fujitsu Siemens - AMILO Pi 1505 Laptop. It has 512Mb of DDR2 Ram. I want to add more ram to it and I found out that it can take up to 2 sticks of 1024Mb DDr2 533/667Mhz ram.

    So do I just buy 1/2Gb of ram and slot it in? Or do I have to take account of something?



    Thanks

  2. #2
    DDY
    DDY is offline
    Senior Member DDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,732
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked
    565 times in 391 posts
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Corsair Vengence
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    You can buy the HDD and external case separately for a few pounds less. eSATA is really handy for large file transfers, just today I backed up the contents of my laptop (to re-install vista for SP1 funnily enough) via USB and it took forever, was much faster when I backed up a desktop machine with eSATA a few weeks ago.

    Laptop ram is as simple as adding another stick, however I'd advise you to go for a dual channel configuration, buy a matched pair since they don't cost very much, a 2GB kit costs less than £25.

  3. Received thanks from:


  4. #3
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    You can buy the HDD and external case separately for a few pounds less. eSATA is really handy for large file transfers, just today I backed up the contents of my laptop (to re-install vista for SP1 funnily enough) via USB and it took forever, was much faster when I backed up a desktop machine with eSATA a few weeks ago.

    Laptop ram is as simple as adding another stick, however I'd advise you to go for a dual channel configuration, buy a matched pair since they don't cost very much, a 2GB kit costs less than £25.
    Ok thanks.

    So would this ram decent enough for a laptop?

    Thanks for your help!

    Edit: Would I need to buy a cable?

  5. #4
    DDY
    DDY is offline
    Senior Member DDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,732
    Thanks
    146
    Thanked
    565 times in 391 posts
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) 3200MHz CL16 Corsair Vengence
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    This RAM is what you're looking for, the one you linked to is for a single 2GB stick.

    Note: you have to dump your old 512MB module to make room for the 2GB I linked to.

    I'd be surprised if the external case didn't come with cables.

  6. #5
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post
    This RAM is what you're looking for, the one you linked to is for a single 2GB stick.

    Note: you have to dump your old 512MB module to make room for the 2GB I linked to.

    I'd be surprised if the external case didn't come with cables.
    Again thank you very much!

  7. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    398
    Thanks
    10
    Thanked
    16 times in 13 posts
    • -iceblade^'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Neo2 FR
      • CPU:
      • Intel E2160 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1gb GEIL Black Dragon DDR-800
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 320mb AAKS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gecube HD3870 X-Turbo III O.C. Edition
      • PSU:
      • Hiper HPU4m 580W
      • Case:
      • CoolerMaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yuraku 22" Widescreen LCD

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    just to clarify, you'll appreciate the faster speeds of an eSATA drive if you use it to regularly transfer files. If you're just after occasional backups, i suggest this

    Western Digital Elements 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail - Ebuyer

  8. #7
    Nabobalis
    Guest

    Re: External Harddrive for Backup / Laptop Memory

    Quote Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
    just to clarify, you'll appreciate the faster speeds of an eSATA drive if you use it to regularly transfer files. If you're just after occasional backups, i suggest this

    Western Digital Elements 500GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive - Retail - Ebuyer
    I read that the Elements is a cheaper version of the My Book2 Essential.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Laptop memory allocation
    By FunkyT in forum Help! Quick Relief From Tech Headaches
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 19-03-2006, 07:03 PM
  2. Laptop memory
    By ibmike in forum Retail Therapy and Bargains
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 05:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •