Thread: Computer not switching on after possibly faulty agp card put in...argh!

Thanks

Computer not switching on after possibly faulty agp card put in...argh!

hey all, i was just testing my ti4200 for faults in my dads computer, cos the sb live broke in my new computer...when all sudden in winxp installation, it did a agressive switch off...i switched it back on, then i think i saw a flash of light...im not sure...theres no burning smell nor smoke...and now it just wont boot...

HELP ME!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Most likely I'd say the PSU couldn't cope with the demands of the gfx card, what was previously in there and what spec is the PC? You should try the old gfx card in and see if it POSTs, then try the 4200 in your PC and see if it works. If your dad's PC won't boot with any gfx card then you need to try known good components in there to find the culprit(s). You may be able to tell from the BIOS beeps or mobo LED status if present. You may want to take all non-essential thing out (or unplug them), essentials are: mobo, power switch, RAM, CPU+HSF, gfx card. So basicly what do you get, nothing at all (no fans spin up, no LEDs, no beeps etc) or just a blank screen? If nothing at all then I'd point my finger firmly at the PSU and if that's the culprit it may have taken out many of your other components often inc RAM, mobo and IDE.

Thanks
    (see the barton vs tbred thread)

bugger

Thanks
    btw im getting no boot, no fans...but my keyboard works when press button even though its off...and the screen knows that its been connected...ive replaced the gfx card, stil no boot, cleared cmos, stil no boot...

Thanks
    • Ben Rogers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8P67 B3
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i5 2500k @ 4400MHz
      • Memory:
      • 12GB DDR3 (8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz)
      • Storage:
      • 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD (boot) + 1TB Samsung F3 + 500GB Samsung F1 SATA II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI HD7870 2GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Coolermaster VX
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Centurion 5 II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit SP1
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung SyncMaste
      • Internet:
      • 23Mbit / 1.1 Mbit ADSL2
    Maybe the mobo is shorting out on the case, or one of the stand off's? try booting it up on a wooden surface with just CPU, one stick of RAM, video card and PSU.
    E6850@ 3700MHz / 6GB DDR2 / 500GB SATAII / nVidia 7800 GTX / Lian Li Plus7B

Banned
    Thanks
    Don't forget the HSF and the power switch on the case. Try another PSU if poss but if a bare config won't boot then you need to check which part(s) is faulty by putting each in turn in a working rig. Best of luck!

Thanks
    i was testing the parts in this rig...no chance im doing it in my shuttle! thats a good idea lemme check psu, if it switched itself off!

Thanks
    doh it dont have a switch!

Thanks
    btw the ti4200 used to be in my dads...i was using it in that the "hardware destroying" shuttle for a bit...it worked b4...btw its a p4 2.8 (533) on a via p4x266 chipset with pc133 ram...the psu (is was) generic...btw the keyboard seems to work (IR one, it flashes when button is pressed (which is normal usage)), i dont have the balls to tel my dad to get new ram, mobo, psu...humbug

Thread Information