Thread: CD/DVD audio question with Audigy 2 ZS

Thanks

Question CD/DVD audio question with Audigy 2 ZS

Hi,

here it is:

I have got an Audigy 2ZS which came with 1*Digital Audio cable, and the sound card supports 1* Digital input and 2* analogue input. I will only be using 2.1 speakers.

I have 1*CD/RW and 1*DVD/RW both support analogue and digital output (they will be going down separate IDE channels as i will have my hard drive through SATA). I will use the CD/RW mostly - really just got the DVD drive for writing DVD's as i have plenty of DVD players.

My question is this, shall i plug the digital cable from the CD/RW (as i will use this most) to the soundcard, and let the DVD audio come down the IDE channel? - will this affect motherboard performance much? I heard somewhere that it is better to have the audio down the IDE rather than analogue as it doesnt then have to be converted - however i also heard that the IDE sends it as analogue

Should i buy an analogue cable to plug into the sound card from the 2nd optical drive? If so then would i lose more by putting the CD/RW through analogue (as i will be using this more) or would the DVD performance be greatly weakened by analogue?

Cheers guys,

matt

MurphmanL
    I havent understood the concept of your post - but as far as Im concerned, u plug the soundcard in, u install drivers, plugin speakers and wella, the sound works! If u wish to fiddle around with Cd Audio imputs and plugin headphones etc i dont know, but i know i stuck a cable into my audigy 2 and the other end into my dvd drive, and nothing happened... could be duff headphones tho

Thanks
    As far as I know, if you have 2000/XP, the sound will jsut be sent down the IDE cable - no ned to fiddle around with little cables from optical drives to sound cards.

Apparently, the sound is better through the IDE cables than through the little cable.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

MurphmanL
    I dunno about that,this isnt my area to discuss but I know windows xp will deliver better audio than windows 2000!

Thread Information