Thread: Sharing monitor and keyboard

Registered+
    Thanks

Sharing monitor and keyboard

I am limited on space so was thinking about having a switch that would share the monitor and keyboard with my Server. Or, just share the keyboard.

Anybody recommend such a device? Where can I get one from? Do they work ok in practice?

Will probably be switching from one to the other about 5 times per day.

Jon

Marmoset Warrior
    Thanks
    It called a KVM switch. You can get loadsa different models with shared sound, monitor, keyboard, mouse but a standard KVM swtich for monitor, keyboard and mouse will cost you only about £25 from overclock.co.uk called the Manhattan iView 2 port hub. Handy thing is it comes with all the cables aswell so no looking around for extra cables. They work pretty good in practice, my mates got one that he uses and it works damn well. The iView uses key commands which is a bit annoying (sorta like you press ctrl + alt + f1 to change machines) but they are alright after awhile

Registered+
    Thanks
    There are some great reviews for a KVM found here:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=48147

It is 4 port but is only suitable for PS/2. I am using a USB keyboard and mouse. Does that mean I shouldn't go for that option?

Thanks
    You can get KVM switched with USB ports as well, but I don't think they are meant for keyboard or mouse use, as when you switch over to a second machine, Windows will need time to detect the USB device.

Thanks
    Or you can do what I do, and just run your server from Terminal Services. Mine's just got a keyboard plugged into it so it will boot

KVMs are great solution if you need console access, but the few I've used with USB ports all needed about 30secs to a minute for the PC to detect the devices - as Proplus says.
    Now go away before I taunt you a second time.

wibble
    Thanks
    Personally I use VNC (www.realvnc.com) - incredibly easy to setup and works similar to terminal services (or remote desktop connection) but can be used with any os (M$, Mac Unix etc).

Thanks
    Im another VNC user, server is located in the loft. Works well but i guess it depends what you wish to do with the server. I only log on to it now and again, tidy up and tweaking other than that, its left to its own devices.

Thanks

Thread Information