Thread: 6600 with 02 300 WAP mins free

Spanked Member
    Thanks

6600 with 02 300 WAP mins free

OK, Im still indecided about buying a Nokia 6600 or a 6230 (been ages now, not got very far in making a decision).

Ive got the 02 sim card which gives you 300 txts + 300 mins wap a month . . . now Ive been reading conflicting stories about how you can access the WWW (via opera or something) over GSM WAP with the 6600 (setting the phone to access the internet via GSM, not GPRS) - in which case the 300 mins free would be taken advantage of.

However, I thought WAP access points can only point to WAP sites and for internet access, you need an Internet Access Point setup on the phone.

Can ANYONE shed a DEFINATE answer to this coz I think Im gonna chop a finger off to prevent me looking at anymore sites to do with either the 6230 or 6600 - this is driving me nuts

Thanks
    this may help? http://www.nokia.com/nokia/0,,32863,00.html

and do a search on Opera or Browser on this Forum
    Last edited by chiyau; 16-06-2004 at 07:23 PM.

Thanks
    thr problem with opera is that it does not allow you to enter text so you can not do a search in google for example. try Doris Browser i think its much better.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    well, Ive not got it, so I cant say, Im hoping someone who has both the 6600 and the same sim card can enlighten me?

Thanks
    Yep, you should be able to access the full internet. O2 have a gateway that will serve HTML content over a CSD connection. It works with my P900 over O2 CSD and T-mobile CSD so I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Spanked Member
    Thanks
    are you using the 02 payg sim too zath?

Whats CSD (Im not too clued up on mobile tech)?

Thanks
    I had a payg sim till it got blocked after I downloaded 3gb over the 'free' GPRS in France Had zero credit on it too. Currently I've got a number of T-mobile contracts (used to work for them) and an O2 contract.

CSD is basically dial-up internet/wap access, as opposed to GPRS. You get charged per minute and it runs at 9.6k/sec usually. Some people call it GSM access, others call it (mistakenly) wap. It's very similar to dialling into a full ISP, usually allowing you almost unlimited full internet access. The O2 CSD access point number allows all this. The GPRS Access with O2 PAYG is usually limited to WAP sites only, but they run a gateway allowing html-capable phones like the P900 to access html pages, but only using the inbuilt browser rather than Opera.

To sum up, you should be able to use your 300mins with Opera and full web pages.

Thread Information