Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: safe PSU for a allways on box

Sitting in a tin can. Far above the Earth.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blue..matt
    im building a "allways on PC box"...can some1 recommend me a cheapish SAFE power supply
    I've been using an Enermax for the last couple of years. I hardly ever turn my PC off, and the PSU has been quiet (dual fan jobbie with fan speed control) and faultless. Couldn't recommend them highly enough.

Nomadd
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Brand loyalty is stupid. Those of you that would prefer a 300w enermax over a decent brand (antec/CWT for example) 450w psu, lol.

The fact that it hasnt failed on you is NOT a measure that its good, unless ofcourse you expect it to fail, much like qtecs often do...

zoom314 - please compact your sig more. Move the pic along side the text.. please... I dont like it taking up so much of my 1600*1200 screen... The massive white gap to the right of it is VERY distracting....
    People with lower res wouldnt mind.. it would go off there screen therfore this is better for everyone!!!

Look at mine for example its about the right height, and the right length not to be annoying..
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 23-08-2004 at 12:13 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    zoom314 - please compact your sig more. Move the pic along side the text.. please... I dont like it taking up so much of my 1600*1200 screen... The massive white gap to the right of it is VERY distracting....
    People with lower res wouldnt mind.. it would go off there screen therfore this is better for everyone!!!

Look at mine for example its about the right height, and the right length not to be annoying..
    I would love to, But It's impossible and I've tried, There is one way though, But It involves html and I don't think that's possible. The vbulletin software will not allow It, Unless You know of a way that I don't short of erasing the sig.

Thanks
    Ah, I didnt realise...
    Ive just tryed several times... and failed...
    The only way to do it with vbulletin would be to cut your sig up by however many lines it takes up and have them seperaste images... but that cant really be done with yours.. as its for stats.. which change...

Thanks
    Brand loyalty is stupid. Those of you that would prefer a 300w enermax over a decent brand (antec/CWT for example) 450w psu, lol.
    Er, yes, *blind* brand loyalty IS stupid. But then so are posts which generically claim 'brand loyalty is stupid' without qualifying the statement. My Enermax is a 465W unit, and I had to pay a lot more for it over a 'cheap' unit. Still, I'm happy with my purchase - as I said, it's worked silently and reliably for 2 years now. The feedback I get from other Enermax users seem to mirror that.

The fact that it hasnt failed on you is NOT a measure that its good, unless ofcourse you expect it to fail, much like qtecs often do...
    Er, now that is 'stupid'. If Enermax are no good because mine HASN'T failed on me - or the 1,000's of Enermax PSUs of other happy customers - then I'm not sure how you are supposed to judge the quality of the product! It certainly matches up to it's quoted specs in terms of peak and constant power delivery. I never compared PSUs of different brands with differring peak power outputs, so I've no idea where you came up with that idea. And no, I didn't buy it in the expectation that it would 'fail'. That would be, er, 'stupid', wouldn't it.

QTEC? Never used one. But I have heard bad feedback. I'll continue to do what I've done in the past and sink the extra cash into a quality unit - like an Enermax/Antec/etc.

Like I said in my first post: Enermax are good; mines worked faultlessly; can't recommend them highly enough. If you don't like that conclusion, fine, but don't jump in with posts littered with words like 'stupid'. I mean, you sound overly keen on Antec/CWT, but I'm not accusing you of being 'stupid' because of that 'brand loyalty', am I. Chill, dude.

Nomadd
    Last edited by Nomadd; 23-08-2004 at 02:58 PM.
    Support the OcUK Forum Free Speech Initiative: If you intend to register with the intention of posting defamatory remarks about OcUK, then please click here to return to the index. If you continue to register, and post any complaints or criticisms of OcUK, then your account will be immediately removed.

Thanks
    Hmmmmmmmmmm

back on track, has any1 got a link to a cheapish good safe PSU

will have a HD in the system and thats all
    My Setup:
    ABIT NF7-S V2.0 Mobo
    XP1700 OEM Thoroughbred cores JIUHB DUT3C O/C'ed 2080mhz from 12.5x166
    Coolermaster XDream HAC-V81 XP2800+
    TwinMOS PC2700 DDR-DIMM 256MB

~~ British Expats Online ~~
    Fully Loaded Community board
    Arcade, Online Pet & much more

You dont need to be a british expat

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadd
    Er, yes, *blind* brand loyalty IS stupid. But then so are posts which generically claim 'brand loyalty is stupid' without qualifying the statement. My Enermax is a 465W unit, and I had to pay a lot more for it over a 'cheap' unit. Still, I'm happy with my purchase - as I said, it's worked silently and reliably for 2 years now. The feedback I get from other Enermax users seem to mirror that.

Er, now that is 'stupid'. If Enermax are no good because mine HASN'T failed on me - or the 1,000's of Enermax PSUs of other happy customers - then I'm not sure how you are supposed to judge the quality of the product! It certainly matches up to it's quoted specs in terms of peak and constant power delivery. I never compared PSUs of different brands with differring peak power outputs, so I've no idea where you came up with that idea. And no, I didn't buy it in the expectation that it would 'fail'. That would be, er, 'stupid', wouldn't it.

QTEC? Never used one. But I have heard bad feedback. I'll continue to do what I've done in the past and sink the extra cash into a quality unit - like an Enermax/Antec/etc.

Like I said in my first post: Enermax are good; mines worked faultlessly; can't recommend them highly enough. If you don't like that conclusion, fine, but don't jump in with posts littered with words like 'stupid'. I mean, you sound overly keen on Antec/CWT, but I'm not accusing you of being 'stupid' because of that 'brand loyalty', am I. Chill, dude.

Nomadd

So failure is how YOU would measure quality of a psu?
    Failure is how I measure reliabilty.
    Quality and reliability are two different things.

Im not loyal to any brand. Ive done a BTEC in electronics engineering, I do know what makes a psu good. Little do you realise psus have been around a lot longer than pcs have. Pc psus are not anywhere near leading edge in psu design.

Back to my reson for buying the CWT. Its a very good (above standard) psu which is also priced realistically - i.e. without subisdising a large marketing budget.
    Your fanboy-ish posts imply that your 465w enermax would perform better than my 550w CWT, of which cost about half as much. Something for you to think about.

Thanks
    So failure is how YOU would measure quality of a psu? Failure is how I measure reliabilty. Quality and reliability are two different things.

Im not loyal to any brand. Ive done a BTEC in electronics engineering, I do know what makes a psu good. Little do you realise psus have been around a lot longer than pcs have. Pc psus are not anywhere near leading edge in psu design.
    I wonder how you manged to get a BTEC without actually learning how to read posts properly? BTW, I have a degree in Computer Science, a degree in Automotive Engineering, and am currently finishing a third degree in Maths/Physics. I also have five additional professional I.T. qualifications. So no need to throw your CV at me in an attempt to 'prove' your posts. :-)

Rate of failure IS one of many metrics by which you would judge the overall quality of any product. Quality and reliabilty are complimentary factors, and not 'two different things' as you state. Why do you think the Americans spent a fortune learning Quality Inspection and Quality Control techniques from the Japanese in the 1980's? To improve the *reliability* of their products.

PSU's have been around before computers? I'm shocked! I thought magic pixies drove all the other electrical devices I've ever used... :-) PSUs are not 'leading edge' in computers? Dude, I've assembled multi-million pound application-critical, supercomputer-style systems for my freelance clients over the last 20 years of my career in I.T., and some of those systems have had the best PSUs in them money can buy. And that includes having to completely rebuild the generators and wiring for machine rooms so that they can supply those PSUs! Not all computers are alike, and niether are all PSUs.

Back to my reson for buying the CWT. Its a very good (above standard) psu which is also priced realistically - i.e. without subisdising a large marketing budget.

Your fanboy-ish posts imply that your 465w enermax would perform better than my 550w CWT, of which cost about half as much. Something for you to think about.
    That bit's rich. And just as 'stupid' (your word, remember, not mine) as your last two posts - the ones where you jump on everyone who's posts you don't like... This time, the 'stupid' comments are followed by 'fanboy-ish' comments, and all because I simply said: 'I have an Enermax PSU and rate them highly'. That was it - I said *nothing* more. You've implied everything else, and commented on things I never said.

As I pointed out in the prior post - which you again didn't feel the need to read properly - I never mentioned your 550w CWT and I never mentioned a comparision of ANY other PSUs based on ANY specific power outputs. So, now I've mentioned that *twice*, is there any chance of you actually going back and reading who-said-what in this thread?

Look, dude, Hexus is a great place with good posters: don't spoil that. If you want to take this debate further, please feel free to PM me and we can compare CV's/penis-sizes until the cows come home. Up until that point, please learn to comment on what I said, not what you've implied.

Cheers,

Nomadd
    Last edited by Nomadd; 24-08-2004 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    That bit's rich. And just as 'stupid' (your word, remember, not mine) as your last two posts - the ones where you jump on everyone who's posts you don't like... This time, the 'stupid' comments are followed by 'fanboy-ish' comments, and all because I simply said: 'I have an Enermax PSU and rate them highly'. That was it - I said *nothing* more. You've implied everything else, and commented on things I never said.
    Erm.. yes... my comments were not even aimed at you. For example:

"Brand loyalty is stupid. Those of you that would prefer a 300w enermax over a decent brand (antec/CWT for example) 450w psu, lol."

Was not even aimed at you. did I quote you? no.
    People on here often recommend ~300w psus because of the brand on here, as evident in a lot of similar threads. That being why I said it, and not to start an agument with you.

If I implyed anything, its something I implyed before you quoted me in my first two posts, and I will comment as much as I like on what I implyed, if you chose to quote it. For example - I was not willy-waving about qualifications. I stated that I had the particualar qualification because it backs up my reson for buying the psu - I bought the psu as the specs were good, it was cheap. I then tested it throughly using a scope and several test loads. The comment was not aimed to belittle you.

I retract this next comment however, as I missread your post.
    "Little do you realise psus have been around a lot longer than pcs have. Pc psus are not anywhere near leading edge in psu design."

"The fact that it hasnt failed on you is NOT a measure that its good, unless ofcourse you expect it to fail, much like qtecs often do..."

Also not aimed at your post.
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 24-08-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information