Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Computer Parts Prices

  1. #1
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Computer Parts Prices

    So i've been looking at computer parts since December last year up until now.
    One thing i've noticed is that the price seems to keep going up!
    They were at their lowest at Christmas so I wanted to know, is there specific periods when computer parts are at their cheapest/most expensive or does it just fluctuate all year round?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    109
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    4 times in 4 posts

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Not that I'm any sort of expert on the topic but personally I don't think computer parts are as affected by the usual supply/demand that changes prices throughout the year.

    I think people are more likely to buy parts around release time, i.e. people are more likely to upgrade the graphics card at launch rather than waiting for Christmas...

    I also think it's got a little to do with the supplier you buy from, scan.co.uk has told me that their price depends on which supplier they bought from and that their stock from eastern Europe is much more expensive than stock they get in from America

  3. #3
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaz0r18 View Post
    Not that I'm any sort of expert on the topic but personally I don't think computer parts are as affected by the usual supply/demand that changes prices throughout the year.

    I think people are more likely to buy parts around release time, i.e. people are more likely to upgrade the graphics card at launch rather than waiting for Christmas...

    I also think it's got a little to do with the supplier you buy from, scan.co.uk has told me that their price depends on which supplier they bought from and that their stock from eastern Europe is much more expensive than stock they get in from America
    Thanks for that. Do parts release at varying periods or is it like Smartphones at specific periods of the year?

  4. #4
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Phaz0r18 View Post
    Not that I'm any sort of expert on the topic but personally I don't think computer parts are as affected by the usual supply/demand that changes prices throughout the year.

    I think people are more likely to buy parts around release time, i.e. people are more likely to upgrade the graphics card at launch rather than waiting for Christmas...

    I also think it's got a little to do with the supplier you buy from, scan.co.uk has told me that their price depends on which supplier they bought from and that their stock from eastern Europe is much more expensive than stock they get in from America
    So maybe this means that we should be more vigilant for stock that comes from America lol
    Last edited by Georigueur; 11-04-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Double post

  5. #5
    Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Aberdeen
    Posts
    19,874
    Thanks
    630
    Thanked
    965 times in 816 posts
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Georigueur View Post
    So i've been looking at computer parts since December last year up until now.
    One thing i've noticed is that the price seems to keep going up!
    They were at their lowest at Christmas so I wanted to know, is there specific periods when computer parts are at their cheapest/most expensive or does it just fluctuate all year round?
    It fluctuates all year round, and despite what you seem to be seeing, they do generally drift down. A lot of things can have an effect on pricing though, exchange rates, supply and demand, technology cycles (how old the latest generation of a component is and when it is due to be replaced), natural disasters (has there been anything preventing the large manufacturers from producing their components)... and i'm sure there are other factors in there too.

    what parts in particular have you been watching?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    38 times in 26 posts
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    I read that the reduced production in China due to the Chinese New Year celebrations have pushed up prices in the short term for electronics made there.

  7. #7
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    It fluctuates all year round, and despite what you seem to be seeing, they do generally drift down. A lot of things can have an effect on pricing though, exchange rates, supply and demand, technology cycles (how old the latest generation of a component is and when it is due to be replaced), natural disasters (has there been anything preventing the large manufacturers from producing their components)... and i'm sure there are other factors in there too.

    what parts in particular have you been watching?
    CPU, graphics cards and computer cases but all parts needed to build a comp generally

  8. #8
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    Quote Originally Posted by hb904460 View Post
    I read that the reduced production in China due to the Chinese New Year celebrations have pushed up prices in the short term for electronics made there.
    Have you got a link to an article?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    339
    Thanks
    40
    Thanked
    38 times in 26 posts
    • hb904460's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A88XM-PLUS
      • CPU:
      • AMD A6-5400K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3 @ 1866mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 + 500gb WD Caviar Blue
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoEco 620W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone PS07
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic VA2037m

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    I read in a newspaper, think it was the Times business section.
    This website, although focused on USB drives gives some snippets:
    http://www.usb2u.co.uk/articles/tag/chinese-new-year/

    "In the weeks just before Chinese New Year as demand for USB sticks increases its no surprise the price increases - usual supply and demand rules apply! The higher prices tend to linger for for several weeks after the holiday finishes before gradually failing over the following months."

  10. #10
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: Computer Parts Prices

    ok, thanks mate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •