Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want a quiet PC

Banned
    Thanks
    1. Go passive or Reserate everything - CPU cooler, GPU cooler, PSU etc
    2. Have no more than 1 case fan - and make its a proper quiet fan eg. SilenX, Nexus, 4412FGL etc
    3. Undervolt the fan.
    4. Undervolt the CPU
    6. Decouple your HDDs.

Or a buy a laptop and / or ear muffs.

Thanks
    I've decided to go for a whole new case, with a psu....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...286396-3711841

As for the heat sink, I was going to get the Zalaman CNPS7000-AlCu, but it's not compatiable with the holes on my motherboard, according to their chart :-( So not totally sure yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by furiousfoggy
    I've decided to go for a whole new case, with a psu....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...286396-3711841

As for the heat sink, I was going to get the Zalaman CNPS7000-AlCu, but it's not compatiable with the holes on my motherboard, according to their chart :-( So not totally sure yet.
    The PSU that comes with that is not going to be the quietest one out there. Check out www.quietpc.com/uk if you want to buy an incredibly quiet one. They also sell really quiet cases with sound absorbant padding if you want to go that far.

Sorry if I have given the link before but it is worth checking out

Thanks
    The problem is that I am trying not to spend loads of money (benig a student and all). I decided that this is a good compromise between quietness, cost and power of psu. All the reviews I've read are positive. And if I decide to I can add sound padding stuff at a later date.

Still not sure about the cpu cooling tho

Banned
    Thanks
    Generally cases are only as good at the components that you put in them. I've had everything from rattly alu cases to acousitpack lined Sonata's / Acousticases etc, but if you have noisy fans or PSUs in there, it just defeats the point.

You need to go through each one of the fans in your system, take out the noisiest one, then see what's the next noisiest component, then take it out, and so on and so on.

If you're on a budget of £50, I would suggest focusing on getting rid of the PSU and replacing all fans in the system with quieter ones, or putting in passive heatsinks for the NB, and graphics card.

No Thermaltake PSU is what you'd call quiet. Consider the Nexus 4090 instead. Or better still, something like the SilverStone ST30NF. I saw one being sold on another forum for £60 which is a bargain for what you get.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras
    and they're much louder, 29dba cf 14, that's not really comparable.
    at 29dba it pushes 46.8cfm, or am i reading this wrong

Thanks
    Hi, ive been in the quite PC game for a while and have three "silent" pc, two of which are converted from load PCs, and one was build from scratch with noise the number one prioraty - a fair bit has been cover here already.

Quote Originally Posted by coco
    http://www.silentpcreview.com/ is a good site to try for making your pc more silent,
    - This is the ONLY place you need to look, the people on the forums at SPCR are the greatest, and the reveiws arent half bad eather

Quote Originally Posted by LayZeh
    Why replace your PSU? Just replace the fan with a quieter solution first identifying what CFM the PSU's original fan pushed to avoid overheating of the PSU unit.
    - PSU's make a lot of noise, and you cant build a quite with our a quite PSU, i'd give the fanless one a few years yet and get a Nexus nx3000, its reveiw on SPCR, ive got two, and there the best i've seen. - and the only £30

Quote Originally Posted by David
    It may well be your GFX or Northbridge fan - they are the loudest!
    - Yes, GPUs and NBs noramaly make a LOT of noise, and can both be made silent, for the GPU you've got the zalman, or the cheaper aerocool
    - Then for the North brige then the zalman zm-mb47l is good.

as where on "often forgotent" items - dont missunderestimate your HDD, there are the single worst nightmaire - your PC needs it, and there loud and whiny!! - the favorite HDD is the seagate barracuda V, but talk to the people on SPCR before you go and buy a new HDD for your quiet PC - becuase thats where most of the noise from this PC comes from!!!

then for the CPU any large high flow copper based H/S like the slk-900 is good, but even just a stock aluminm cooler is normal fine, and then run a large 92mm Papst fan running very slowly on that

and the same for the case fans, large and slow, and not too many

- typical 1 120mm or 92mm papst is enough, two is its a very full system
    - again running very slowly, down to even about 3/4volts can work

as for diffrent cases, i have a antec sonata for one of the PCs, and its a nice case, it has a nice 120mm fan hole in the back, and the PSU is accpetable and the sideways HDDs are nice - but 10mins with a jigsaw can get you a 120 or 92mm hole in almost any case, and the PSU is no where near as good as the nexus 3000 - so if you after quiet, i wouldnt bother, any £14 ebuyer case will be as good after you cut a 92mm fan hole in it

- and as for case linings, i havet really experimented with them - my PC is almost inaudiable without, and the there ofthen expensive, and normal dont live upto expectaions - but one dau i might have a go, just for the fun

hope this helps
    - daniel
    Last edited by oshta; 13-11-2004 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    at 29dba it pushes 46.8cfm, or am i reading this wrong
    cf = shorthand (someone doesn't know their Latin do they? ) for compared with. 29dba is not quiet, whereas 14dba is for all intents and purposes pretty much silent.

Thanks
    In 9 years of UK education, i've never heard that cf term used

But my point was that if it can push 46.8CFM at 29dba, it should be far quieter when pushing the equivalent to the panaflo

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    Doesn't work like that. Decibel increase exponentially, so 29 is a lot higher than twice 14 (it's 15 times louder).
    Last edited by Thorsson; 13-11-2004 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks
    Ok, so how can you work out how much noise the slim fan will produce at the equivalent CFM rating ?

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    You can't, but you can infer that it will still be a lot noisier even at lower spin rates. My guess would be somewhere around 25 at the same spin as the Panaflos 14.

Anything under 20dB is barely audible. At 20 it's a faint noise, at 25 it's a whisper, at 30 a quiet hum. Above 30 and it's likely to be higher than ambient noise. So it's not that 29 is particularly noisy, it's just that the 14 is effectively silent. You will notice the difference.

Thread Information