Thread: 128A Cartridge Compatibility / OKI MC362 Image Drum issues

Thanks

Question 128A Cartridge Compatibility / OKI MC362 Image Drum issues

Currently in our office we have a OKI MC362 which we use daily, this is limited to around 3000 printouts. Our boss isn't happy that we have to constantly replace the 'image drum' and is looking to source a better alternative printing solution that won't constantly require replacement cartridges.
    Also is there a better alternative altogether to the OKI MC362 recommendation wise? Regardless of the cartridge required.
    Any thoughts/previous experience would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Keef
    Last edited by keef247; 24-10-2014 at 09:47 AM. Reason: SOLVED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fraz regarding the Apple Mighty Mouse
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Good riddance. Wish I'd done it about a year ago.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

Re: 128A Cartridge Compatibility / OKI MC362 Image Drum issues

So do you want a colour multi-function printer? (ie scanner/printer/copier)

The thing you want to look at is duty cycle
    The OKI MC362 is listed as
    Duty cycle (Maximum) 45,000 pages/month
    Duty cycle (Recommended) Up to 3,000 pages/month

If you just want a colour printer, at work we use the HP CP3525
    which is a max duty cycle of 75,000 pages per month

However something doesn't sound right, the imaging drum on the MC362 is the large tray that the 4 toners sit on, it's supposed to have a life cycle of 20,000 pages, the toners have a life cycle of around 3500 (black) to 2000 (the 3 colours) pages.
    So if you're only getting 3000 pages it sounds like something is up.

Are you buying original drums or some cheap 3rd party ones?
    Normally there is some way of checking the print count on pages printed and remaining life, ether via a print menu on the printer or if it's networked browse to the IP of the printer and you may well find it there.
    Depending on how new/old it is it might well be worth getting someone in to service it.

A company called Laserlife is the people we use for printer servicing, they are very good although I don't know if they deal with OKI printers

Thanks

Hi mate, thanks for your input, boss confirms that they are the original drums direct from OKI, I have mentioned a service would be advisable and shown him the life cycle stats, so that was helpful
    In regards to a replacement it needs to be a similar spec in terms of functionality, i.e. scanner/colour laserjet etc with LDAP etc
    the current one:
    http://www.oki.co.uk/printers/multif...2-131705&tab=3

Any feedback on these? Couldn't find one for the MC362? Only the MC361...
    http://www.zinetic.co.uk/oki_mc361_d...p-details.aspx
    also found this but wondering if it's worth the risk? The seller has good feedback but their previous items are non pc related.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OKI-PRINTE...item51b6b50196
    can anyone confirm the mc362dn/mc361 reset works with the mc362?
    Last edited by keef247; 21-10-2014 at 09:09 AM.
    I just got so fed up with this thing for it's crappy erratically working scroll ball and poor right-click detection that I just threw it against a wall and it exploded.

Thanks
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

The chips are a small bit if you look on the drum you'll see one, it just keeps a counter of number of prints, you could try to replace it, you need to pull off the
    old one and glue in the new chip, this will make the printer hink you've put a new drum in.

The effect of using an old drum is possible lose of quality as the surface of the drum (granted it's a belt not a drum) can lose it's ability to hold the toner, so you can get marks appearing.

But for the cost of the replacement kit (that ebay link) probably worth a shot

The other thing is excess/waste toner, does the printer have a waste toner tank? that may need emptying/changing. (I'll warn you now, emptying a waste toner tank is a very messy job, don't wear good clothes or do it in an area you want kept clean)
    If not it might be built into the drum unit so swapping the chip to extend it's life runs the risk of the waste toner filling up and leaking.

sorry I don't have much experience with OKI printers, why I suggested getting it serviced, rough guess a call out printer service will be around £50-75 + parts

Banned
    Thanks

3000 prints a day?? That's 90k a month.

If so, you'll need a different printer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    The chips are a small bit if you look on the drum you'll see one, it just keeps a counter of number of prints, you could try to replace it, you need to pull off the
    old one and glue in the new chip, this will make the printer hink you've put a new drum in.

The effect of using an old drum is possible lose of quality as the surface of the drum (granted it's a belt not a drum) can lose it's ability to hold the toner, so you can get marks appearing.

But for the cost of the replacement kit (that ebay link) probably worth a shot

The other thing is excess/waste toner, does the printer have a waste toner tank? that may need emptying/changing. (I'll warn you now, emptying a waste toner tank is a very messy job, don't wear good clothes or do it in an area you want kept clean)
    If not it might be built into the drum unit so swapping the chip to extend it's life runs the risk of the waste toner filling up and leaking.

sorry I don't have much experience with OKI printers, why I suggested getting it serviced, rough guess a call out printer service will be around £50-75 + parts
    Cheers yet again for your feedback mate! Looks interesting but obviously sounds a bit risky. I think we may just seek to source a replacement. Any current available printers that use the 128a HP cartridge as when I looked they seem to out of service and not available to purchase printer wise. The cartridges obviously are still easy enough to get, what we want to do is utilize the remaining cartridges we have left and then after that we could consider another printer.

Thanks

gone ahead and ordered the Zinetic based on recommendation. Will update you on how it goes when it's installed and my results.

Thanks

UPDATE: Chip arrived today, well impressed with the service and it actually worked. Top recommendation cheers!

Thread Information