Thread: How do you fix a case shorting out?

Thanks

How do you fix a case shorting out?

This is a simple PC upgrade to 9700pro gone wrong with garbled screen during boot and in the bios screen. I also get a similar thing with a GF4 Ti4200 but no such problem with an early radeon card.

Right now the PC is working outside the case isolated on the mainboard box. I cannot see anything obviously wrong with the case so what can I try next.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Whats your PSU? Also whats the rest of your spec?

*edit*

Maybe didn't read properly, do you mean it actually works out of the case with the 9700?
    Last edited by Olly1234; 16-01-2005 at 10:40 PM.

Thanks
    • Flibb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6300
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250G
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3GB MSI Radeon HD 7950 Twin Frozr
      • PSU:
      • FSP
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Deffl TFT thing
    Would normally suggest a mobo mounting post in the wrong hole. Nearly did it to my Asus board

Thanks
    ASUS A7n8x-x
    2.1 XP 166 FSB
    512 Corsair value
    CD/DVD not connected
    Floppy not connected
    Running 1xHDD

Tried two different generic 300w PSUs 'macron' brand & 'NX' branded. Also tried feeding the graphics card from my PC running along side.

CMOS has been reset to defaults as per the motherboard manual

YES it does work outside the case with the 9700pro
    Last edited by ed^chigliak; 16-01-2005 at 10:46 PM.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    Ahh in that case there is going to be something touching the board or the position of the board once screwed down is making the card in the AGP slot sit at an angle, not quite make contact with the last connectors in it, sure you have all the standoffs in the correct holes?

Thanks
    Brass standoffs are all in the correct holes washers are topside between screws and the mainboard. The graphics cards is seated correctly.

I've now tried replaced all the standoffs with plastic thumb screws of similar height. The only point of contact with the case is then the backplate on the graphics card. Still got a garbled boot and bios screen. Take it out of the case and back onto the cardboard box and it works fine.

Is it possible there is current flowing through the case somehow? I disconnected the case speaker with no difference.... running out of options now.

System Suspect
    Thanks
    There shouldn't be anything, but it sounds like something isn't earthing correctly...Can you somehow insulate the point where the card is touching the case, electrical tape of some kind as it has to be this. Also you might take a sheet of plastic and lay that in under the board to test with and without graphics card insulated and see the results..Should imagine it's really really annoying

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    You sure that you don't have a dodgy PSU?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed^chigliak
    Brass standoffs are all in the correct holes washers are topside between screws and the mainboard....I've now tried replaced all the standoffs with plastic thumb screws of similar height. The only point of contact with the case is then the backplate on the graphics card. Still got a garbled boot and bios screen. Take it out of the case and back onto the cardboard box and it works fine.
    Why were you using washers? I assume you mean insulating ones. The system will work better if you use brass standoffs and just screws to provide better grounding throughout the mobo. If you are insulating the mobo from the case you could well be getting some current flow through the backplate.
    Also don't be too quick to say the card is properly seated. Often a case is misaligned enough to stop cards seating properly when you screw them in place - even if they look OK. Try not screwing the card in, as a test.

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    perhaps a wire from backplate where mobo is leading out of the case and physically touching the ground would ensure proper grounding?