Thread: Nforce4 issues?

Thanks

Nforce4 issues?

All chipsets have there issues, and the nforce2 had a few.. and Im considering getting an AMD64 board, a winchester and a pci-e x850XTPE.

Before the boards come into stock Id like to have decided what Im buying, so what are the issues people have found with the nf4?

Thanks
    Well not really a problem with them per se, but something you may find interesting...

Good Read

No-Name - The Name That You Can Trust

Thanks
    Most of the issues I have seen have been similar to the NF3 i.e. hit and miss SATA controllers, NIC problems, USB keyboards needing to be reset after a reboot & some boards being a little fussy over what RAM there using.

Thanks
    finding 1

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BUFF
    finding 1
    /me strokes his A8N SLI Deluxe

Mine will be built early Feb... I will of course report back any findings.
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohan
    Most of the issues I have seen have been similar to the NF3 i.e. hit and miss SATA controllers, NIC problems, USB keyboards needing to be reset after a reboot & some boards being a little fussy over what RAM there using.
    I've tried a load of wired and wireless gear and I've never had an issue with the Asus A8N SLi even with the amount of drives I have connected to both the nvidia and Silicon Image SATA controllers.

The only issue I have had was the power issue where if you rebooted the PC it would not load until you reset it again. A simple BIOS update to the revision 007/008 fixed that fine.

Please if your thinking of getting an nforce4 based system, DO NOT SKIMP on the power supply. THIS is the most important piece of kit in your system. If you use a cheap and nasty PSU thats a garish colour and costs approximately 25 pounds for a 600w rated PSU then I recommend you take 5 concrete blocks and secure them to your PC and throw it into the nearest canal. It will be more fun than watching your PC BSOD, crash and loop due to low quality power regulation.

Secondly, Once you've got the PSU, make sure its 24 pin ATX with if possible Serial ATA and PCI-E power connections (if no PCI-E power connections then adaptors are available but these need 2 molex connections from different cables/channels)

Now if you get the Asus motherboard - DO not panic when you open the box and the serial ATA driver discs are not there. Simply set the PC to boot from CD-ROM and insert the lovely freedos bootable CD that Asus have supplied to create the floppies required for the serial ATA drivers when installing windows.

Other than that - the only other problem at the moment is the nvidia firewall management software will not install at all ( I've tried 5 discs and 3 different systems ) but I've notified Asus and they know about it and hopefully we will have a working version shortly

Thanks
    • Thorsson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P8Z77-V PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k
      • Memory:
      • 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance PC1866
      • Storage:
      • 256M4 SSD; 2Tb 7200RPM Barracuda; 2Tb Linkstation
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX970 SC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX650
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2515H
      • Internet:
      • Fibre Optic 30Mb
    I'm glad that you said that. The Firewall was the only thing I couldn't get to work properly.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB SSD, 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    I have the gigabyte SLI board and have had the firewall working after a fashion - it firewalled my machine, but I couldn't configure the firewall to any extent which made it somewhat less that useful. Especially when it decided outlook express should be blocked and offered me no way to unblock it.

Other than that no issues at all with it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WildmonkeyUK
    I've tried a load of wired and wireless gear and I've never had an issue with the Asus A8N SLi even with the amount of drives I have connected to both the nvidia and Silicon Image SATA controllers.

The only issue I have had was the power issue where if you rebooted the PC it would not load until you reset it again. A simple BIOS update to the revision 007/008 fixed that fine.

Please if your thinking of getting an nforce4 based system, DO NOT SKIMP on the power supply. THIS is the most important piece of kit in your system. If you use a cheap and nasty PSU thats a garish colour and costs approximately 25 pounds for a 600w rated PSU then I recommend you take 5 concrete blocks and secure them to your PC and throw it into the nearest canal. It will be more fun than watching your PC BSOD, crash and loop due to low quality power regulation.

Secondly, Once you've got the PSU, make sure its 24 pin ATX with if possible Serial ATA and PCI-E power connections (if no PCI-E power connections then adaptors are available but these need 2 molex connections from different cables/channels)

Now if you get the Asus motherboard - DO not panic when you open the box and the serial ATA driver discs are not there. Simply set the PC to boot from CD-ROM and insert the lovely freedos bootable CD that Asus have supplied to create the floppies required for the serial ATA drivers when installing windows.

Other than that - the only other problem at the moment is the nvidia firewall management software will not install at all ( I've tried 5 discs and 3 different systems ) but I've notified Asus and they know about it and hopefully we will have a working version shortly
    My psu is more than adequate.. doesnt have PCI-ex connectors yet but i can solder some on later... no molex connectors needed, just a few big fat 16AWG (no joke! I bought 100m of this stuff very cheap when I intended to get 18AWG!!, not realising 16 is a bit too big) wires direct from the psu's pcb

I think its a bit poor that your expected to create the floopys yourself.. maybe ok if it was just on cd, but forced to use floppys is bad enough, worse if youve first got to make them... (I dont have a floppy drive either..)

I think its worse that the firewall management soft doesnt work, and thinking of nvidias problems with the video chips on the gf6800, I would be very annoyed (but not too suprised) if it never works)
    Last edited by SilentDeath; 25-01-2005 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    • nimbu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M3N78-EMH
      • CPU:
      • AMD 4050e
      • Memory:
      • 4GB (2x2GB) Cosair XMS DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 30GB Samsung SSD : 250GB Seagate ES
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Hyper Type R 550W Modular
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 Mini
    I got a UATX NF4 board, the foxconn one from overclockers. No problems what so ever, so far.........
    MAIN BOX: 4200+ @2.75 : Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe: XP120 + Papst: 2Gb Mushkin Redline PC4000: 512MB 7950GT: 2x36GB WD Raptors in RAID 0:WD 420GB : NEC DVDR/RW: All Wrapped up in a Antec P180

Thanks
    The firewall on the Asus A8N-SLI works fine for me but some hardware and software won't work properly with it enabled. These firewall issues are the same on the NF3 250GB boards though.

There are really no issues with the A8N-SLI like there have been in the past with boards like the A8V and MSI K8N Neo 2 (other than the SATA and firewall stuff mentioned). The A8N-SLI is a very solid performer and particularly well suited to the Winchester core CPUs and TCCD DDR modules even without vmods.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    Quote Originally Posted by |SilentDeath|
    I think its a bit poor that your expected to create the floopys yourself.. maybe ok if it was just on cd, but forced to use floppys is bad enough, worse if youve first got to make them... (I dont have a floppy drive either..)
    Blame MS - windows won't load drivers during install off anything but a floppy. If you aren't installing windows to an SATA drive you can install the driver off the CD in windows.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    RIGHTY

I have a solution to the firewall problem and this is fairly easy to sort out.

The issue with the firewall software is not the discs or file corruption as first thought but actually Windows XP SP2 and the firewall built into there.

I will upload the files required to the FTP Server when I get home tonight with the regsrv32 commands required to get the firewall functional again.

Thanks
    • Butcher's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 3
      • CPU:
      • i7-4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8 GB Corsair 1866 MHz
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W
      • Case:
      • Big Black Cube!
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    When I had it working (albiet poorly), it was on win2k. I've not tried on xp (yet).

Thread Information