Thread: Random restarts with computer...

Registered+
    Thanks

Random restarts with computer...

Am just playing around with dad's comp, new HD, updating to XP etc. and have come across a real pain in the arse, the computer is just randomly restarting every so often.

So far, this has only occured when i boot using the XP HD not the 98 HD, therefore it might be reasonable to assume that it is something to do with this, possibly since it is a new HD in the system that the PSU cant handle the now 4 IDE drives as this does occur in that situation.

However, even with just 3 IDE drives, as before, the problem persists. It then occured to me that perhaps something was amiss with the CPU cooling, as there was a dodgy sound emenating from the box. Upon closer inspection, i found one of the CPU fans (yes, there are two!) to be faulty.

The offensive fan was replaced swiftly from my vast arsenal of buggered computers and yet it is STILL happenning!

The system is as follows:

Athlon 550CPU with 2 fan HS
    2 HD
    1 CDRW
    1 DVD
    and some ancient gfx stuff.
    unable to assertain atm what mobo this is on and the power rating of the psu

Maybe it will all settle down, i dont know, but will keep you posted, any help appreciated.

KV

Banned
    Thanks
    Could be a number of things. Try completely unplugging all IDE except for the XP one and see if you can successfully run stable (may req a fresh install). That helps to rule out faulty HD, hw conflicts, sw conflicts and IDE controller (try it on both Primary & Secondary if necessary). The PSU may not be able to cope with 4 IDE devices but since 2 are actually optical you should be okay. Added heat could be a problem even before the HSF troubles, are the HDs hot to touch. Basically see if you can use the HDs one at a time (completely unplug the other HD) and be sure to try diff channels and leads as necessary.

dgr
    Thanks
    i had this problem on my parents pc. then thought about it...

BLASTER!!!!

****!

sorry for the offense, but you need patching ASAP!
    dothan 745 @ 2.4ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS (2-3-3-6) | dual raptors (raid0) | ATI 9700pro | CM201 | dual lg 1810

Thanks
    xp by default will restart instead of bl00 screeny o' death, might be the cause

Thanks
    msblast will show a rpc problem before shuting down. so you normally can tell your infected
    the other thing it could be it the memory. 98 loads the memory form the bottom up and xp from the top down

Thanks
    check for blaster mate, goto ur task manager and see if mblaster is running in the background

Registered+
    Thanks
    nope, no blaster there.

It could be to do with the BSD i suppose, will look into. Doing hw/sw confict checks also, cheers for the help.

Thanks
    maybe try re-installing XP partition?...

Registered+
    Thanks
    found the problem, its a driver issue, tho lovely xp hasnt yet informed me which driver...
    any ideas?

Thanks
    needle in a haystack

tadpole in a typhoon

Registered+
    Thanks
    yeah, quite.

Thread Information