Thread: Raid...

Thanks

Question Raid...

Any one know where i can get some info on how to setup a raid array... i plan on using 2 80 gig seagate hd's sata...
    any info would be helpful

Oh no!I've re-dorkalated! Jiff Lemon's Avatar
    Thanks

DIFFERENT TYPES OF RAID

The most popular RAID level are 0, 1, 3 and 5, their definition of RAID levels are:

RAID 0

Known as disk striping. It combines disks that are used to improve some performance, but there is no logic to protect/recover data.

Pros/Cons

Fast data transfer on large blocks of data I/O. No parity check for fault-tolerance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAID 1

This is known as mirroring, where data is written to two different disks at the same time, and data can be read from either disk.

Pros/Cons
    Secure against disk failure. Double the cost of storage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RAID 2

Disk striping with several disks similar to RAID 0, but a small percentage of those disks were set aside to be "check disk," A special Hamming Error Correction Codes is implemented. Not used because of high performance penalty.

RAID 3

Striping data over several disks. Parity interleaves at byte level and is stored in a dedicated disk.

Pros/Cons

Fastest for large-file transfer, lower cost for data security.
    If the dedicated parity disk failed, all data integrity is lost.

RAID 4

Similar to RAID 3, striping data over several disks. Parity interleaves at block level rather that byte level and is stored in a dedicated parity disk. RAID 4 improves read access but suffers form a write penalty since every write must access the parity disk.

RAID 5

Striping data and parity over several disks with no dedicated disk for parity.

Pros/Cons

Higher I/O rate for writing data and since no dedicated parity disks, no data loss for any disk failure Not as fast as RAID 3.

There are of course, RAID level's 10 and 50 but probably well beyond the scope of what you need to know.

Thanks
    Do you have an on board Raid controller? (if so what M/b are you using?)

Thanks
    iam planing to get the asus p4p800 raid and i think i supports sata raid... so if i have 2 80gig hd in a raid 0.. will the computer read it as 1 160gig?

Thanks
    I would recommend that if you do go for RAID 0 than invest in a backup prog like Ghost or an external drive to save important stuff.

IMO it is not really worth raiding unless you are doing stuff like video-editing.

Thanks
    Get a USB or Firewire External HDD unit, I have one for backup, its serves its purpose very well.

I lost my all my data, due to those crap IBM deskstar jobbies.

One skin, two skin......
    Thanks
    Originally posted by evildoc614
    iam planing to get the asus p4p800 raid and i think i supports sata raid... so if i have 2 80gig hd in a raid 0.. will the computer read it as 1 160gig?

Yes. It is also so close to twice as fast as a single disk you will probably ejaculate all over your monitor. I would advise buying some windscreen wipers along with your motherboard.....

Thanks
    thanks for the advice, i keep baby wipes by the computer just for situations such at that! j/k

Thread Information