Thread: Which front intake case fan

Registered+
    Thanks

Which front intake case fan

I've completed my build in a Phanteks P600 case which includes 3 non-PWM 140mm fans, two front intake and a rear exhaust. There's space for a third 140mm front intake at the bottom of the front of the case which would keep the spinning HDDs cooler in their location in front of the PSU as well as providing more airflow to the area just below the GPU (which has its own cooling fans) but I'm wondering what type of fan to get.
    I could get a PWM fan and put it in the centre front of the case to hopefully maximise airflow to the centre of the case but I'm wondering if I'd be better off moving the rear exhaust fan to the front so that all three front fans are the same (and voltage controlled by the mobo fan header) and fit a new 140mm PWM fan (thinking a Noctua PWM HS 140) as rear exhaust. That'd mean more uniform front intake airflow and a PWM exhaust fan that'd move more air out of the case.
    Thoughts?
    What fan config are any of you P600 owners using?

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Which front intake case fan

From what little I know of using the motherboard to control fans, you go into BIOS and select either PWM or DC control. It can't do both, AFAIK.
    So that'd mean getting another DC fan for the rear, or upgrading your whole cooling profile... Personally I'd do the latter, but that's just me. Phanteks generally make quite food fans, so I might look to get more of the same model from them... If you prefer, Noctua are good, as are some Corsair fans. Arctic are almost as good as Noctua, but made and consequently sold somewhat cheaper.

You could just move the rear fan forward and forget any other fans.
    This would create positive pressure, and air would then exhaust through any existing gaps - You can remove the empty PCIE expansion blanking plates and any meshes/filters up top if you feel you need more exhaust space. It's free to try and if you're not happy with the results, you can still add fans later.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    From what little I know of using the motherboard to control fans, you go into BIOS and select either PWM or DC control. It can't do both, AFAIK.
    So that'd mean getting another DC fan for the rear, or upgrading your whole cooling profile... Personally I'd do the latter, but that's just me. Phanteks generally make quite food fans, so I might look to get more of the same model from them... If you prefer, Noctua are good, as are some Corsair fans. Arctic are almost as good as Noctua, but made and consequently sold somewhat cheaper.

You could just move the rear fan forward and forget any other fans.
    This would create positive pressure, and air would then exhaust through any existing gaps - You can remove the empty PCIE expansion blanking plates and any meshes/filters up top if you feel you need more exhaust space. It's free to try and if you're not happy with the results, you can still add fans later.
    Thanks for the feedback, I ended up moving the rear exhaust fan to the front so now all three front fans are the same and connected to the P600's fan hub which is connected to the mobo's chassis fan 2 header. I've fitted a 140mm Noctua AF14 PWM black chromax as a rear exhaust which is connected to the mobo's chassis fan 1 header, so via the BIOS and the Asus AI fan control app, I have independent control over the front fans, rear fan and CPU fans so all good. I've noticed that the spinning disk behind the relocated fan is running a bit cooler now and hopefully there's more cool air being directed to the space below the GPU.
    Going by the speed readings for the fans attached to the PWM hub, it looks like the Phanteks fans are 1000rpm, so not overly fast but hopefully good enough to keep the insides of the case cool.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey I've also got the P600s but I've just replaced all the fans with the Arctic P14 fans PWM PST. I bought the 5 pack, which is great value for money and I've got 3 fans setup in the front and 1 exhaust. Highly recommend the P14, they are quiet and provide good airflow.

Thread Information