Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Undervolted cpu by nearly 0.1v, with overclock and still stable!

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro
    What is it exactly you are trying to say nein? its hard to know what to write when what you write is convoluted.
    OK, so what I wrote were too convoluted and difficult to comprehend, will re-try 9th grade education or below for factual explanation as alternate to the belief from weebroonieuk.

------------
    Die size shrink required proportional drop in voltage to avoid reaching voltage break down threshold for the process technology.

i find that hard to beleive , since i could quite happily run my cpu at its stock speed and increase the voltage.
    ------------

Utilizing data similar to this table and this table.

"Air has nominal dielectric rating of 10KV per inch, the voltage break down value is much lower for smaller air-gap distance". Which is 10V per mil (1/1000 of an inch), or with extra common addition, substraction, multiplication and division, etc... That would come out to 3.9V per milimeter, or 3.9 mV per micrometer, and 51 mV per 13 micrometer feature process technology using air-gap.

the same method can be repeated for 13 micron process technology using Si, Ge, glass, etc... or of any feature size.

I wasnt talking about electron mobility either I was mentioning the increase in probability in cross transistor migration.
    Would you re-do your "Electron Migration" with non-convoluted 9th grade or less education?
    Last edited by Nein; 12-04-2005 at 07:53 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rave
    Well, an increase in switching time may be a side effect, but clearly there is an advantage to increasing the voltage, since the vast majority of CPUs with normal cooling will run faster at 1.5V than they will at 1V. If it's 'not at all' about the S/N ratio then what causes this effect?
    Some type of electronic circuitry do respond very well with overvolting for greater performance. For example, the common typical would be Interface Drivers and Logic Level Shifters.

Obviously the answer can't really be written for 9th grade education and below, FYI to those encountered difficulty.
    Last edited by Nein; 14-04-2005 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Look i was trying to be nice as your english doesnt seem like a native speakers. Some of what you wrote doesnt even make sense. Were talking basic grammar and sentance structure here not technical. Hence why its not possible to really know what you were trying to say. If you ask me you are getting all arsey as you dont understand what you are reading in the first place let alone able to communicate what you want to say.
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 14-04-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    There is a point where increased voltage is not worth the increased heat and vice versa.

The more voltage you use, the more heat is produced, and the lower the temp has to be to avoid electro migration. This is why you can put 2 volts through an A64 on a cascade that keeps the chip at -100C, but really shouldn't put 2v through an A64 on very good water cooling, even if it can keep the chip at a reasonable 45C. An A64 running at 65C with 1.5v is going to last ALOT longer than an A64 at 40C with 2.1v.

More voltage = faster possible transistor switching speed
    More voltage = more heat
    More heat= lower possible switching speed

There is a sweetspot to be found when overclocking.

People should become familar with what voltage is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage

Banned
    Thanks
    Look i was trying to be nice as your english doesnt seem like a native speakers. Some of what you wrote doesnt even make sense.
    Ah..!! In your very own non-convoluted, superior native English skill. You were not actually saying what you were saying... Just that you're nice, and my broken English was not convoluted but only that they didn't make sense. Yah.. right!! I've got that now.

Were talking basic grammar and sentance structure here not technical. Hence why its not possible to really know what you were trying to say. If you ask me you are getting all arsey as you dont understand what you are reading in the first place let alone able to communicate what you want to say.
    I have yet to read an English grammar book even for just one time, never once actually had an English class either. Though none of my 9th grade and less education level posts below which you whined about are any worst than your superior native English skill -->"your english doesnt seem like a native speakers".

The same main reason Intel and AMD lowered processor core-voltage as years went by - Less heat dissipation for the same workload.

Most people have opposite problem to yours, they don't understand why over-volting worked.

---
    Die size shrink required proportional drop in voltage to avoid reaching voltage break down threshold for the process technology.

No, depending on the designs, for some more volts simply don't work for higher clock speed.

under-volting created less heat allowing for higher clocks, why did over-volting also worked for higher overclocking?

---
    Don't rely upon belief, try education and intelligence instead.

Air has nominal dielectric rating of 10KV per inch, the voltage break down value is much lower for smaller air-gap distance. The same applied to any material including all typical semi-conductors.

---
    No, not at all. Increasing voltage which is increasing logic threshold level - AKA "increasing the signal to noise ratio" but it also increased the time between valid logic levels... eg, negating signal to noise advantage from the extra time taken between rail to rail voltage.

---
    "Electron Migration" is about failure and reliability, not about achieving higher clock speeds. Lower and higher "Electron Migration" rates will not make clock speed lower or higher, only how fast it would have failed.

---
    Go ahead, answer my very first question directly to you and the rest take care of itself.

"under-volting created less heat allowing for higher clocks, why did over-volting also worked for higher overclocking? "

There're more than one reason, you can give me just one of them, it would be suffice.
    Last edited by Nein; 14-04-2005 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks
    You are obviously conceited.

Rather than trying to divert attention, why dont you just answer the question.
    Last edited by Kumagoro; 15-04-2005 at 04:10 AM.

Thanks
    Well, I didn't realise so much...'interest' would come from this thread, but what the heck it's all good fun.............
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Banned
    Thanks
    You are obviously conceited.
    I might as well give you some of the usual common ignorant dumbsh*t's checklist which I'd seen brought up already many many times, over and over and over.

It's opinion, it's belief, it's theory, it's obtused, it's convoluted, it's english, it's manner, it's moral, it's ego, it's personality, it's maturity, he has no friends, diverting attention, ban him, don't want to know why, I've a master degree in computer science, I've a master degree in english, blah, blah, blah...

Rather than trying to divert attention, why dont you just answer the question.
    Do some thing new and different for a change, try some real creativity and be more interesting, at the least showing some sign of having a functional brain.
    Last edited by Nein; 15-04-2005 at 09:23 PM.

Thanks
    welll done on not answering the question. weak dogs bark.

Banned
    Thanks
    welll done on not answering the question. weak dogs bark.
    You're too stupid to recognize the answer.

Thanks
    The answer to my question genius..

Banned
    Thanks
    The answer to my question genius..
    " You're too stupid to recognize the answer". Try the other convoluted, didn't make sense posts above first.
    Last edited by Nein; 16-04-2005 at 03:00 AM.

Thanks
    Argument stops here
    PHP Code:
    $s = new signature();
    $s->sarcasm()->intellect()->font('Courier New')->display(); 

Thanks
    After that 'discussion' i would like to add an update to this thread. I now have my xp2600 @2.3ghz (390mhz above stock) and yet it still runs flawlessly @1.575V and idles at 32 dgrees and 42 degrees under loud. I think everyone should try undervolting their xp's. Anything above 400fsb, needs some serious voltage increases though. John
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information