• Dazbo666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GeForce 7050M
      • CPU:
      • AMD dual core 5000
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 2Gb DDR2 667 Kingston
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb SATA master / 1.5Tb for movies / 750Gb for games / 250Gb IDE external caddy
      • Graphics card(s):
      • tba
      • PSU:
      • Winpower ATX650L
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • 17inch eMachines TFT flat screen
      • Internet:
      • 10Gb VirginMedia optical broadband

XP2600 Speed

Recently got an XP2600, but it doesn't seem to be very stable when I try to run it at the 333mhz "stock" speed??

Model number is AXDA2600KV3D, so it should run at 333 ??

Should I increase the voltage, or is there something else that I'm missing??

BTW it runs rock solid stable at 266 speeds.
    -- AMD dual core 5000 CPU -- GeForce 7050M mobo -- 2 x 2Gb Kingston DDR2 PC5200 memory -- Winpower ATX650L PSU -- ### -- Sunbeam 4 way Rheobus with red/blue LEDs -- ...in the process of being updated April 2012

Thanks
    sorry i cba to type out a whole o/c guide for ya, but google has plenty, but heres some important things usually missed out:

* your computers not stable unless it is capable of doing memtes86 and prime95 for atleast THREE hours each. less doesnt really matter, your comp may never crash, but that doesnt mean its a stabale o/c

* overclock ur ram first before cpu, lower cpu multi so the cpu is runing below stock speeds for this. make sure ratio is 6:6 or eqiv

* only increase voltage as you need to, dont use over 0.3v over stock EVER unless watercooled or phase change (unless old cpu like k6-2 which can go 0.6v over stock safely)

* cpus like to be burned in, getting a 1700+ and going straight to 2.4ghz might not work, but going to 2ghz letting it burn in then 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 might work.

* cpus about 50*c wont clock well, try to keep it under 50*c for normal usage. over 50c on mine atleast, maes it crash a lot more easly, and makes it last less long.

* cpu temps below 50 are fine

* cpu clock = fsb x multi. as long as the multi is low enuf, and ur ram and mobo can handle it, you could run the fsb at any speed you want.

* fsb makes very little perf differnce, dont pay more than £30 for ram with lower latencys or faster than pc3200 for an athlon system, its just not needed. aviod stupid marketing scams like dual chan branded sticks, for example, dont pay more for corsair twinx over normal overpriced corsair

i hope this helps..

Thanks
    • Dazbo666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GeForce 7050M
      • CPU:
      • AMD dual core 5000
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1Tb SATA master / 1.5Tb for movies / 750Gb for games / 250Gb IDE external caddy
      • Graphics card(s):
      • tba
      • PSU:
      • Winpower ATX650L
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    Thanks for the advice SilentDeath

My main concern is that my system is unstable even at the claimed manufactureres speeds.

I'll take your advice and try out memtest and Prime95 as soon as I get a chance. I got memtest on a disk at home, and will d/l prime95 tomorrow.
    -- AMD dual core 5000 CPU -- GeForce 7050M mobo -- 2 x 2Gb Kingston DDR2 PC5200 memory -- Winpower ATX650L PSU -- ### -- Sunbeam 4 way Rheobus with red/blue LEDs -- ...in the process of being updated April 2012

Thanks
    There were 2 versions of the XP2600 - 1 ran at 266FSB & the later at 333FSB.

Can you post the full codes on the chip or use this utility to check that yours isn't a 266FSB one?

Thanks
    • Dazbo666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GeForce 7050M
      • CPU:
      • AMD dual core 5000
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • tba
      • PSU:
      • Winpower ATX650L
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    I bought it as a 333, and when I did a Google search on the model number it comes up as 333, but the only way it runs stable is on 266 speeds.

I'll try that d/l that you've suggested - cheers Buff

Banned
    Thanks
    Check your RAM is running in spec, at 333FSB you need at least PC2700 ... set it to run in sync (ie 1:1, 6:6 or PC2700 @333mhz). Try to use slow timings or set them to SPD. What RAM are you using? Is your mobo certified for 333FSB? What mobo and chipset is it? Can your HSF handle the CPU and is it properly applied? Have you tried running the CPU at 2.1ghz(ish) with 266FSB? Sorry about all the Q's but we need more info. Your AXDA2600KV3D code ...

AXDA = 0.13mu
    2600 = XP2600+
    K = 1.65v core
    V= 85'C core max temp
    3 = 256KB L2
    D = 333FSB

Thanks
    • Dazbo666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GeForce 7050M
      • CPU:
      • AMD dual core 5000
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • tba
      • PSU:
      • Winpower ATX650L
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    @ Austin,
    The RAM is PC2700 and running at 333fsb, and timings already set to SPD.
    The mobo is MSI KT4VL, and certified up to 600FSB so no probs there.
    The HSF is Thermaltake Volcano 9 Coolmod (certified to be "compatible up to XP3400"), which has been lapped and applied with Ceramique thermal compound - keeping the idle temps 38-40C, and load temps around 46C
    ...and at the moment it's running quite stable at 266mhz speeds.

The model number, and original order says the chip is 333fsb, so considering I run some distributed computing projects, I purposely went for the processor that claimed to be able to handle the higher fsb - the best I could afford at the time.
    Last edited by Dazbo666; 30-10-2003 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks
    Hi, I had the same problem with my 2600+ 333FSB 256 Cache also it was overheating . The MBbios would show temp upto 70C !!

AMD changed it and replaced it with a 2600+ Barton 333,512 L2 Cache.

The temp problem was solved.

This Cpu is rock solid at 2.13ghz but at an fsb of 266.It turns out that the ram supplied was also faulty and Kingston are replacing it.

Currently it is set at 16X266 and shows a temp of 52C considering I am in India, no airconditioning and stock AMD fan I feel its ok.The ram is expected tomorrw.

Check out whether they ram is the recomended one for your MB

Can you get another stick and try it out?

In the mean time why not write to AMD and inform them of your problems may be they can solve it.

Thanks
    your mobo isnt as good as you thought

VIA® KT400 chipset (552 BGA)
    - FSB @200/266/333 MHz

i really hate via chipsets.
    this one is suppost to support upto 400mhz fsb, but ONLY with teh mem unsynced running at 333ddr, which makes it pointless in an amd system. the mobo should be fine at 333 ddr, some things you should check:

- the PCI and AGP are running withing spec (33 / 66 mhz) on via board iirc these are not locked, and becuase they are just divided formt he fsbb, they will change as you change fsb, which makes it outa spec and ur pci and gfx cards will not like it, niether will hdd's or anything.

theeres alos this bit inn big red letters on there site:
    [quote]Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability. [quote]

this is bad. it tells me there mobo is just too rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishe to run at proper speeds.
    all mem should run fine at 7-3-3-2.5 timings, ram shoudl also be fine at 2.65/2.7v which may help if memtest86 is getitng errors that are meme realted.

do a quick test:
    run teh cpu at 333 fsb, but change the multiplyer to 8x or somehting, so that the cpu speed is considerably lower. run memtest86 and see if theres any errors at 333fsb, hten try prime95. if theres none it means its a cpu related problem, and your probably overclockign it a tiny bit at 333fsb.
    if theres still errors, it means the problem is with the mobo or ram

i wouldnt bother with any tech support from amd, try contacting the place u got the cpu, see if they can fix, or wait a few days for one of us to find the answer

Banned
    Thanks
    Yep no SktA mobo is certified past 400FSB (2x200) and KT400 are only designed for 333FSB (2x166). So long as your PCI and AGP are at 33 and 66mhz there should be no problem with 333FSB synced operation which is what you are having problems with. Check your RAM is set to run synced to FSB, maybe try setting high timings manually and check the RAM voltage is correct for your RAM.

Vol9 should be more than fine but be sure you're running the fan fast enough. Compound like the fan isn't going to be the issue if you are able to run around 2.1ghz @ 266FSB (2x133) but do be sure you only applied the tiniest amount no bigger than the core. There is an outside chance it could be the PSU, again if you can run stable around 2.1ghz @ 266FSB then that should rule that out. Your temps certainly seem fine but are there as a rough guide only, they can be totally off depending where you read them from. You see if you drop down to 266FSB without changing multiplier you will only be running 12.5x133=1.6ghz instead of the 2.08ghz it is designed to run at. It could be more to do with some of your parts being unhappy at the higher speed as opposed to the higher FSB. Try what |SilentDeath| suggests.

Thanks
    • Dazbo666's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GeForce 7050M
      • CPU:
      • AMD dual core 5000
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • tba
      • PSU:
      • Winpower ATX650L
      • Case:
      • Chieftec Dragon
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
    I'll be checking out these suggestions hopefully tonight (after I finish at work)

Many thanks for the suggestions so far - I'll keep ya posted on how it goes?!

Thread Information