Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New OCZ Power Supply!

Thanks
    Iirc the TDP of the CPU alone in that system is 115W.
    & it's nVidia that says that it needs 850W
    http://www.legitreviews.com/article/285/2/
    Last edited by BUFF; 14-01-2006 at 02:46 AM.

MSI P55-GD80, i5 750
    abit A-S78H, Phenom 9750,

My HEXUS.trust abit forums

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    nVidia also recommends 530W for 2x GPU SLi, however in reality 480W is overkill..
    nVidia needs to account for inefficent PSUs, and thus going way over actual power consumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt
    The only way you'd load a 700W PSU is by sticking a thin copper rod in the yellow wire of a molex connector and sticking it on the concrete outside..

Seriously.. you could power 2 heavily overclocked rigs from a 700W PSU. And try running them 24/7 and see how your energy bill looks at the end of the month/quater.
    Nope. Try these guys on XS, running Dry Ice, pumping mad volts into there chip, with SLI 512mb, with insane volt mods, etc, etc, mods on mobo. Once you start all this mad cooling and volts, your average PSU is going to crash and burn.

There is a market for everything. They get cleaner, better overclocks with better PSU's, a a lot of them use the 650Watt beast from Silverstone.

Thanks
    I think its good news that mega PSU's are released with over-the-top wattage outputs, the PSU's i'm likely to need should come down in price as a result
    Abit AN8-SLi
    Opty 148 CABYE (282x11)
    2Gb OCZ Plat
    XFX 7800GT (506/1160)
    DangerDen

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    Nope. Try these guys on XS, running Dry Ice, pumping mad volts into there chip, with SLI 512mb, with insane volt mods, etc, etc, mods on mobo. Once you start all this mad cooling and volts, your average PSU is going to crash and burn.
    nope, I seen TomsHardware using liquid nitrogen (nevermind dry ice) to overclock a P4 3.2Ghz to 5Ghz and the processor still only drew 180W. I don't care how insaine an overclocking project you will be working on, you will NEVER need a 1kW PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Napolean_D
    I think its good news that mega PSU's are released with over-the-top wattage outputs, the PSU's i'm likely to need should come down in price as a result
    Agreed, let the numpties buy PSU's for nob swinging that would power two of their computers, and us sane people will buy PSUs we really do need at a nice cheap price.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    nope, I seen TomsHardware using liquid nitrogen (nevermind dry ice) to overclock a P4 3.2Ghz to 5Ghz and the processor still only drew 180W. I don't care how insaine an overclocking project you will be working on, you will NEVER need a 1kW PSU.

LOL you have no idea. 5Ghz on Ln2 is pathetic and thats toms hardware all over. Try 7Ghz, the extra speed, vcore needed and your using some serious power.

Like i said there is a market for everything. 99% of people won't need one, but that doesn't make it pointless.

if you can't except that, your problem. Guys on XS use 650+ PSU for a reason.

Thanks
    .... you will NEVER need a 1kW PSU...
    I'm not a big power user myself (if you want a laugh look at my system), and at the moment 1kw does seem a little OTT, but as Bill found out never say 'never' ... doh I think I just contradicted myself ...

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey21
    ...Try 7Ghz, the extra speed, vcore needed and your using some serious power....
    Ok, bear in mind that articale is nearly 2 years old, northbridges and ram weren't designed to take that kind of punishment, now the power drawn at 3.2Ghz is about 95W or so, if 5Ghz is 180W, then 7Ghz will only be about 270W, now thats assuming you will be cooling your CPU will liquid nitrogen, of course the number of people who would actually do that is miniscule, and the ammount of people who would use such a machine on a regulare basis is next to none, so the people to occasionally do so can easily just use a 2nd PSU to power everything else.

We're talking about reality here, and in reality the majority of people.. overclockers included, will not come close to the maximum load their PSUs are capiable of.

As time goes on fabrication processes of semi-conductors is constantly shrinking, and therefore drawing less power, so will anyone ever use a 1kW PSU?.. no, its just not practical to draw that level of power, especially these days as more and more people are running multipule computers in their home, and businesses don't want a £1m+ a year energy bill.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well of course 500 W for the useful bit (processor etc) leaves another 500 W spare for the useless LED's, cold cathode tubes, illuminated fans and the rest of the bling!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    Although I normally tend to stay out of these kinds of discussion:
    "Yes you Do need one"
    "No you Don't need one"
    "Yes you Do need one"
    ... ad infinitum

Doesn't matter if there's a market for this or not right now. I'm using a 600W now cos my previous 480W just wasn't doing the job with my main rig, and I know that there are many more folks out there with PCs that blow mine away! 10 years ago when I started playing around with making my own PCs, 250W was an insane PSU for a desktop machine.

Semi-conductor fabrication may allow the manufacture of smaller gates, and therefore less power hungry silicon, ... ***BUT*** In the long term, reducing gate size means that you can stick more transistors onto a piece of silicon, which means that the resulting die size stays the same..... and eventually the TDP goes up. If this wasn't the case, we'd all still be using passive head sinks, or not at all. So, as long as some one is willing to pay the leccy bill, these things are going to sell.

Corsair Air 540, Asus Prime X570-Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R9 3900X, Corsair HX 750, EVGA 1080 Ti, 2x Corsair 2TB MP600, 2x 2TB WD20EZRX, 4x8GB Corsair Dominator, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Corsair 550D, Asus X470-Prime Pro, Win 10 Pro, AMD R7 2700, Corsair RM750i, Asus GTX780 Poseidon, 2x Sammy 500GB 970 EVO, 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, custom watercooled (single loop, 2 rads)
    Synology DS918+ w/ 2xWDC Green 3TB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 6TB, N2200 w/ 2xSammy 1.5TB
    backup:
    Corsair 500R, Gigabyte GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, Win 10 Pro, i5 4690, Corsair HX750i, Sapphire Fury X, 256GB Sammy SM951 M.2 (System), WD SE16 640GB, 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance, Corsair H100i

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information